• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

4 unit maths or extension german? (1 Viewer)

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
subject choices are due next week, and i'm having a hard time deciding whether doing 13 units next year is suicide. i want to do:
  • eng adv
  • 4u maths
  • chem
  • music 2
  • german continuers and extension
which is 13 units. i've heard that doing 13u's alone is crazy, but having 4u maths is them is actually impossible?
if i dont do 4u maths, i'll drop german extension as well, and keep biology.
at the moment, i'm coming around top 10 (/160ish) for maths and X1, and 2/10 for german. :read:
but i dont know whether to drop bio either, coz i want to do med.

help please! :eek:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'd say 4U Maths. Higher scaling, and I hear it's very common among med students. Not that that should be something you take into consideration, of course ;)

(I am biased: I'm picking up 4U.)

HSC
xxstef said:
subject choices are due next week, and i'm having a hard time deciding whether doing 13 units next year is suicide. i want to do:
  • eng adv
  • 4u maths
  • chem
  • music 2
which is 13 units. i've heard that doing 13u's alone is crazy, but having 4u maths is them is actually impossible?
at the moment, i'm coming around top 10 (/160ish) for maths and X1, and 2/10 for german. :read:

my best mate does 14 units includiing 4 unit maths
but his a freak
id say start with both
see how you go
and if it affects your other marks drop which ever one u enjoy leeast

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
4u maths kgo.

im biased, but 4u math kgo.

chewnugm

HSC
My sis did 16 units in her HSC year. Its not that bad, im doing 13 including 4 unit maths and was doing 15. Its just about how much effort you're willing to put in.

SimonLee13

HSC
chewnugm said:
My sis did 16 units in her HSC year. Its not that bad, im doing 13 including 4 unit maths and was doing 15. Its just about how much effort you're willing to put in.
What uai did your sister get?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i'd say dont do bio just coz ur doing med. i agree with the above poster, just take up both and see how u go.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Go with the subject that you are most confident with (i.e. in terms of interest and etc.)

I am not very comfortable with my choice in 4 unit mathematics but I am going for it anyway. BUT if it is possible go with both, why not? Then sit around and have a look which one is better. I am definitely doing maths 4 unit for a term to see whether it is good or not. If it's crap, I will just let it go and if not, I will keep it.

bubblesss

HSC
chewnugm said:
WOW!!!!!!!!!
what UAI did she get??????

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
WOW!!!!!!!!!
16 units is heaps, I reckon. My mate did that and he got 99.15 UAI. He could have got more if he did less subjects.

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
16 units is heaps, I reckon. My mate did that and he got 99.15 UAI. He could have got more if he did less subjects.
thats freakin crazy!!! did he even sleep at night??? lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
thats freakin crazy!!! did he even sleep at night??? lol
He is white...

please excuse my stereotype. Yeah, he studied hard. He studied about 10 hours on weekends and 5 hours everyday. And yeah, he didn't do as well as he thought he would though. I was seriously expecting him to get close to 100 UAI because his Trial results were exceptional (really exceptional). But he only managed a state rank in Ancient History which he was quite dissapointed with and the worst thing is...he didn't even get the DUX! Ah~ my poor friend. Another bad thing is...he didn't get into his desired course! Ah~~

Well, it's okay. He is an exceptional student in uni now so he will probably be able to transfer to better course this year.

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
He is white...

please excuse my stereotype. Yeah, he studied hard. He studied about 10 hours on weekends and 5 hours everyday. And yeah, he didn't do as well as he thought he would though. I was seriously expecting him to get close to 100 UAI because his Trial results were exceptional (really exceptional). But he only managed a state rank in Ancient History which he was quite dissapointed with and the worst thing is...he didn't even get the DUX! Ah~ my poor friend. Another bad thing is...he didn't get into his desired course! Ah~~

Well, it's okay. He is an exceptional student in uni now so he will probably be able to transfer to better course this year.
with all that studying he would have definitely got into his course if he did a few units less. but 99.15 is great as well.
oh and what course did he want to get into? surely 99+ is good enough for most courses!!!!!!!

HSC
N/A
xxstef said:
  • eng adv
  • 4u maths
  • chem
  • music 2

just do 13 units, i reckon a couple of weeks in and u'll have a better idea of what subjects to keep and which to drop, or u might decide that u can handle the workload.

if you drop something you're doing well in now you might regret it later on

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
with all that studying he would have definitely got into his course if he did a few units less. but 99.15 is great as well.
oh and what course did he want to get into? surely 99+ is good enough for most courses!!!!!!!
Med and stuff is like 99.95

speedofsound

HSC
chewnugm said:
Jesus christ, 16 units! That's crazy. Over a third of her units didn't even count towards her UAI. :eek:

HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
maybe law? law at unsw is 99.3, he could have transfered into law second year

that would suck, getting over 99 but not being able to do your desired course

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
barbecuedflava said:
maybe law? law at unsw is 99.3, he could have transfered into law second year

that would suck, getting over 99 but not being able to do your desired course
He wanted to go USYD combined law. Yep, that's why he missed out.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
xxstef said:
  • eng adv
  • 4u maths
  • chem
  • music 2

Do 4u maths, drop german, and keep bio. If you're doing alright in 4u maths, drop bio as well. If you're not doing well in 4u (as in, pretty much ranked last), drop back to 3u and keep bio.

chewnugm

HSC
bubblesss said:
WOW!!!!!!!!!
She got 97.15 and she even cramed for some exams, she is insane, a solid freak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)