• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

maka

HSC
This thread hasnt bee active for a while so I thought I might change its direction and see how everyone is finding their subjects this semester?

I had to drop from 4 subjects to 3 subjects due to work and the uni workload. Other than that it is quite cruisy. Only 5 assessments all semester. Finish exams/essays by June 16

iwannarock

HSC
well advanced torts is due 2morow.

i havent started.

word is open though.

i have less than 24 hours.

fuck!

:angry:

iwannarock

HSC
and im done.

massive regurgitation fest.

gotta love 2000 word limit i was there in no time.

now to find a library and some money to print.

i'll fix my printer one day.

:ninja:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Working on international and constitutional during the break...so much for a break

Only just sort of reading for international, have a rough idea of what to write (well one or two ideas)...not sure how to structure it. Most likely headings for each idea report style?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Oh IWR you make me laugh :D

I've done torts and EU law... now have IL and IO in the break which should be fun fun fun *cries* Plus I've got a group work thing for torts which needs to be organised by week 10 or something, so have to fit that in the break, too.

I cannot wait until this semester is OVER! But we're half way through, so thats a good thing. Only another.... 6 weeks or so of hell. Really looking forward to being a 2 subject bandit next semester ;)

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Oh IWR you make me laugh :D

I've done torts and EU law... now have IL and IO in the break which should be fun fun fun *cries* Plus I've got a group work thing for torts which needs to be organised by week 10 or something, so have to fit that in the break, too.

I cannot wait until this semester is OVER! But we're half way through, so thats a good thing. Only another.... 6 weeks or so of hell. Really looking forward to being a 2 subject bandit next semester ;)
oh thats right international law!

phew......april 24th. dont have to worry about that for a while.

you will have to carry the two subject bandit torch. its the greatest.

even though because of it im gonna have to come back for one subject next year.......i stand by my decision.

on the plus side i will attain god like one subject bandit status.

Tabris

HSC
iwannarock said:
oh thats right international law!

phew......april 24th. dont have to worry about that for a while.

Not as easy as it looks, hopefully 6 decent sources will get me by, it feels as if theres more regurgitation of arguments and counter-arguments in my strategies rather than original analysis....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its a bit hard for us to think of ways to fix something no one else can fix

I am not having much luck searching databases for some reason probably not looking for the right terms, got a book or two and hoping to find some more

maka

HSC
Hey melsc,

What question are you doing for Con/Admin?

I chose Q2 and it is pretty disjointed.

maka

HSC
Oh so that the High Court-constitutional interpretation one.

Have fun at work!

iwannarock

HSC
ok i just looked at the international law question.

what the fuck is this!?

so basically this is saying "hey.......suggest some almighty plan to fix international law.......because.......since 100 scholars can't im sure a university student could think of something"

i thought this was just gonna be some essay.

oh how i was wrong.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'm attempting to fix the UN...with sexy results!
We'll actually I am just reading other peoples ideas and deciding which ones I agree with. I doubt anything we could suggest hasn't been suggested before!

I reckon I will struggle with the word limit, not only because I always do and am verbose but also because you could write books on the topic!

Tabris

HSC
I am editing my draft now, i basically came up with three broad strategies; how to mitigate the power problem in the UN, how to create greater compliance through treaty design and how to create greater enforcement within the doemstic sphere.

Found 6 decent sources but sometimes it feels like regurgitation of ideas, like 5-6 footnotes of the same source just for one broad strategy.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm starting on IL now. Have a rough structure in place.. just need to fill in the gaps!

Just a word of (potential) warning. Dont focus too much on an organisation, like the UN, because this is what I asked to do for our 'free' essay (the final exam one). Rafiqul said it is not within the scope of IL to focus on an organisation, presumably because thats what Int. Orgs is for (run by Natalie Klein). So maybe be careful in placing too much emphasis on any organisation....

I only mention it because Rafiqul was quite... strongly opposed to my desire to look at the UN in any detail. Which is extremely frustrating because its an interesting organisation! I'm going to Natalie with my essay idea and hopefully she'll let me do it in the scope of Int. Orgs as the final exam essay.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Tabris said:
Found 6 decent sources but sometimes it feels like regurgitation of ideas, like 5-6 footnotes of the same source just for one broad strategy.
I feel the same way!

I'm a bit worried now because mine is very focused so far on fixing the UN :s.
I am looking at the finanicial state of the UN
Reform of the security council and not sure where to go after that

Although we haven't done much else in IL but talk about the UN? Now I am confused!

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
... Maybe contact Rafiqul... because thats what I wanted to write about for the essay, reforming the Security Council. :s

I hope I'm wrong about my suggestion for your sake!

I've got a draft down, and like you guys, I have exactly 6 sources, all of which say pretty much the same thing. Did any of you get Fisher's book from the library? Its gold! I did some creative research to find that one (its title is "Compliance with International Law" or something like that) ;)

I've split it into three sections too, Tabris. I've got discussion about nation states, then the formulation of instruments, and then enforcement issues. It actually works quite well, and then found a source that also used the same framework as I am (such a fluke!).

But I'm putting zero effort in........ just want a Pass....... this is my third essay in as many weeks. I'm braindead :( Thank goodness its only 2000 words.

iwannarock

HSC
im having trouble finding sources that talk about proposed strategies.

fuck this thing.

back to wading through agis i go.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I found this article helpful :) But its pretty long... just do a ctrl + f through it to find relevant parts.

This essay is undoubtedly the fastest I have ever written. And in my opinion speed = quality. So this is pretty low quality. Oh well, I have other assignments piling up around my ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)