• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

$4000 grant ?? (1 Viewer)

schnookims

*Premium Princess Member*
HSC
I got nominated and the principal solely based it on my reports from last yr and this yr. If i get it depends ONLY on my UAI

phrred

HSC
Hermzie said:
No no, it's your nomination coupled with your UAI. Just because you're nominated doesn't mean you'll get it. You still need to achieve a high UAI.
oh really? i thought it was just the cut-off for your particular course.

is there a safeguard so that people cant just transfer to another uni after first year when the scholarship finishes

Porcia

HSC
Hermzie said:
No no, it's your nomination coupled with your UAI. Just because you're nominated doesn't mean you'll get it. You still need to achieve a high UAI.
it doesn't matter what UAI you get - as long as you get into one of the many UNSW courses according to the unsw person i emailed about this thing.. kinda makes sense too!

dandel26

HSC
I was nominated but i'm confused as to wether to go there. I know its an awesome Uni but its just a bit too far away from me.
Do you reckon i could get the $4000 then transfer to another uni?

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Fuck off man, you don't deserve it if that's your attitude.

phrred

HSC
dandel26 said:
I was nominated but i'm confused as to wether to go there. I know its an awesome Uni but its just a bit too far away from me.
Do you reckon i could get the $4000 then transfer to another uni?
where do u live

Roobs

HSC
I'd say they give you the money like half way through the first semester or something. Not only does it undermine the priincipal of the scholarship, but even if you want to eat and run coz your hard up for cash, it'd probably only barley be worth your effort.......

anyway, i got nominated ay my public comprehensive school WOOO..apparently theres 830 people--i gues this means UNSW's spending like 3.2 od million on this one program.....

phrred

HSC
3.2 mil is only about 160/8000 international students, UNSW is loaded

miccie_b

HSC
hey i got one :)

u get a letter that says ur school nominated u because u have the top average academic results and then u have to ring this chick so she can get ur number so a lecturer can ring u and talk to about ur courses.

anyway this lecturer rang and spoke to me about them and his general gist was that they just want to look more like the smart uni so theyre trying to attract smart kids by giving them the 4 grand. he told me to keep my top preference (for which i need 99) and i brought up the point that the likelihood of me achieving ninety nine is very slim to none so he basically said well just put something really low second so that u can do a semester of that and then transfer into the course u actually want. bsically they didnt care what course i did as long as i did a course. iv still gotta get in on a uai basis, but on march 31 next year i get four grand if im still there. its a one off payment.

and for that guy who has travelling issues... im from newcastle so its 3 hr train trip down there... without this dosh i dont think id have incentive to go to unsw... i was planning anu so i could stay with family. but its a serious inconvenience if u live so far away so i think ur argument is fair enough.

:wave: thats all...

Roobs

HSC
umm..i got minde the day after english 2.....found out from the school the day before tho...yr adviser just showed me a certificate, and was like congrats.....

sarah89

HSC
I got mine last tuesday, but i found out the day i finished school in september. hell yes!
still need to get 96 uai to get in. hmmm.
oh and it says on the letter that the $4000 is available 31st March 2007 after the first semester census date.

priscillapham23

HSC
N/A
I got the certificate on my graduation about the nomination, but i never got a letter addressed to me or phone call from the uni??? Does eveyone get a letter?

lala2

Banned
HSC
It seems that you don't need any sort of an average to maintain--just get in and that's it?! I'd consider it a waste to give $4000 to someone who got cocky because they got in and only just managed a pass or concessional pass average in first year.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I got nominated as well. From what I gathered there's no way UNSW is going to give $4000 entry scholarships to 830 students. To be nominated my careers' advisor asked me about 10 times whether UNSW was my first preference or not saying that if I didn't have it I couldn't be eligable. I think they might give out 50 max, because Kensignton campus, from what I've heard, has had to get really tight that UNSW ASIA's been opening up.

I want to do a BSc (Adv) which will be fine to get into. I think the main thing was that UNSW wanted to alert the bright students that there is this other uni out there, other than Sydney, and that you might even get $4000 if you put down to go there and do well in the HSC. I was selected on just course rankings but it was easy as the only other reasonable candidate at my school is going to USyd.

phrred

HSC
toadstooltown said:
I got nominated as well. From what I gathered there's no way UNSW is going to give $4000 entry scholarships to 830 students. To be nominated my careers' advisor asked me about 10 times whether UNSW was my first preference or not saying that if I didn't have it I couldn't be eligable. I think they might give out 50 max, because Kensignton campus, from what I've heard, has had to get really tight that UNSW ASIA's been opening up.

I want to do a BSc (Adv) which will be fine to get into. I think the main thing was that UNSW wanted to alert the bright students that there is this other uni out there, other than Sydney, and that you might even get $4000 if you put down to go there and do well in the HSC. I was selected on just course rankings but it was easy as the only other reasonable candidate at my school is going to USyd.
830 X 4000 isnt really much for them, as i said somewhere else its prob less than 5% of total int student revenue.

i think most bright kids would choose between unsw and usyd, its not all USYD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)