• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accomodation @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

Hello

• Prospective student: New College

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Prospective student: Shalom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prospective student: Warrane

• Prospective student: Creston College

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Prospective student: Kensington

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Current student: New College

• Current student: Shalom

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Current student: Warrane

• Current student: Creston College

• Current student: Kensington

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you're a prospective or current student and you live on campus or are thinking about it, please vote in this poll. :)

Also, could any students at New College tell me what they think of it? I plan to go there in 2006. The courtyard in the middle on the building rocked.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What're the people like? Does the religious stuff feel overwelming? Any particular rules New has which are annoying? Food? Is clothes washing free?

I was in my jersey. Some guy gave me a tour - I'd laugh if it was you.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I "sneaked" into new college (and entered many times with permission) back when one of my seng teammates lived there. It looks like a pretty friendly place, very nice atmosphere. Rooms are pretty small though, but I guess that's expected of colleges

grimreaper

HSC
Idyll said:
New is probably one of the more academically inclined colleges. Having said that though, most people are pretty keen to have a good time as well. So generally they're pretty well rounded people. I'm guessing you know about the no alcohol inside college rule, which means that the stuff which goes on inside the college doesn't revolve around alcohol (although there are plenty of opportunities to go out if you want to).

As for the religious stuff, I wouldn't say it's ever overwhelming. It's there, but you can participate in as little or as much as you like.

As for the rules they're all pretty standard stuff to do with harrassment, disturbing other residents (i.e. keep noise down after 11 o'clock), etc.

In regard to the food, don't expect to have your tastebuds blown away. It's edible, you won't get sick from eating it and it meets nutritional standards. Eurest has the catering contract for New College and the Kensington Colleges (and probably some of the other colleges as well), and I'd say New and TKC pay similar amounts pp for food (given the similarity of their fees), so I'd say it's pretty much on par with the other colleges.

Clothes washing will cost you a dollar each time (driers are free). For some people that'd only be $10 a year - but I wouldn't really advise that.
I once had to fill out a centrelink form where I had to say how much I paid for board or rent, and if I got fed how that cost. The housing office said to put down $110\week for food, so I'm guessing that how much eurest is paid to feed us at the kenso colleges. By the way, interesting little fact, long bay jail is catered by eurest and they actually pay more per person to feed the prisoners (and so get better food) than the colleges pay here.

Anyway, back on topic, yeah this has been discussed in other threads but I'm certain New would be a better choice over kenso if you were worried about getting really good results at uni. As to which you'd have more fun at, it's just a matter of personal opinion. I'd say you couldnt go wrong with either though

Oh, and its $1 for both washers and driers at kenso... but lets just say there are ways around that if you dont happen to have a dollar coin on you ;)

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I know the president/head guy at New; I could try and contact him and tell him to give you a buzz if you want

HSC
im going to consider it, i'll do anything to get away from my family

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)