• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ADSL2 and router compatibility (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Hey guys,

I have a 512 connection at the moment and looking to upgrade to ADSL2. I have a wireless router (D-Link Dl-524UP http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=2&Sub2=4&PID=60)

I'm wondering if this router will be compatible with an ADSL2 modem/connection.

Also, any recommendations for an ADSL2 modem?

Cheers

Last edited:

stephenchow

HSC
I would say it can as according to the website, the router supports up to 54Mbps while ADSL2+ has max speed of 20Mbps/

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Cool...anyone else like to confirm this.

Also, can I use the wireless network to transfer data, rather than the internet connection? edit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 shall try it tomorrow! :D

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
stephenchow said:
I would say it can as according to the website, the router supports up to 54Mbps while ADSL2+ has max speed of 20Mbps/
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
Cool...anyone else like to confirm this.

Also, can I use the wireless network to transfer data, rather than the internet connection? edit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 shall try it tomorrow! :D
Yes...just have them on the same network etc and map network folders as drives for convenience sake and it should all work perfectly.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Even if it doesn't, ADSL2+ is backwards compatible - you'll just be restricted to 8mbit/s (the max designed speed for ADSL1).

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
D-Link G604t is pretty good
unless you want adsl2+ annex m

stephenchow said:
I would say it can as according to the website, the router supports up to 54Mbps while ADSL2+ has max speed of 20Mbps
54mbs is for the LAN
Besides the typical transfer rate is 20-30Mbs

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
Hahahahahhaha.

Idiot, much?

MuffinMan

HSC
adsl2+, maximum speed: 24m bits/ sec (I doubt you'd get anything above 20 though)
wireless LAN: theoritcal 54 m bits/ sec (used to transfer files on your local area network. They are two different things.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Raginsheep said:
I'd recommend another brand to D-Link, mine isn't the most reliable.

www.whirlpool.net.au should be helpful for you.
Yeah check whirlpool like he said, various models in every brand of adsl modems are duds. Its just the way the technology is, i can say that my experience with D-link has been decent, but chances are i had a different model. Also because you all ready have a wireless thats ok, but i would never suggest getting a wireless modem straight off the bat, they are unreliable for gaming.

MuffinMan

HSC
I have a dlink and everything works fine. The wireless is heaps dodgy to set up but I've gotten used to it, it only takes me 2 mins to set up the wireless now. Occasional failures (no more than once every four months), I just reboot the modem and everything goes well. I have a G604t btw.

Wireless gaming is ok, depends which game I guess.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I use Billion 7300G wireless router modem it's somewhat better than the DLink G604T.

It supports Annex M (for future use or use today with Internode's SOHO plans)

It has QoS (Quality of Service) prioritisation to shape non essential ports.

It has SNR margin configuration to increase or decrease speed depending upon line stability.

Edit: I live around 875m foot distance away from the exchange and roughly 940m cable length.
Using a phone line that's less than 2 years old. Most people would get lower speed than mine.

Last edited:

MuffinMan

HSC
if you want annex m, you have to go with node on a soho plan
not sure about the modem though. But i doubt you require up to 2.5mbit/sec upload speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)