• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice Needed From 18+ (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
I **DO NOT** require advice from anyone younger than 18 as i imagine they dont have the necessary real life experience to pinpoint my problems. Can anyone preferably in their early 20 point me in the right direction.

MY QUESTION - I need to study because i am not satisfied with how much i earn, given i am not a naturally gifted person with people or salesperson. My job at the moment is at a large beverage company earning $40,000 per year, i've been working for 4 years mainly in call centre as sales consultant, i want to increase my salary to at least $60,000-$70,000 before i turn 25, im 22 now. I've looked at various courses from college and university, i cannot simply afford to spend $18,000 a year to study at university. Are business colleges nationally recognised and valued for job, are these considered tertiary qualifications amongst big companies if i like to get a job in accounting or marketing? or would i require a university degree, i met few people who had degrees but couldnt find a job, so im guessing practical experience is just as important or more important than some paper degree. Is my thought wrong? can anyone recommend evening class college courses? also what is the main difference between a business college and tafe? are any one of these specifically more recognised?

help appreciated,
thanks guys!

HSC
N/A
workerdude85 said:
My job at the moment is at a large beverage company earning $40,000 per year, i've been working for 4 years mainly in call centre as sales consultant, i want to increase my salary to at least $60,000-$70,000 before i turn 25, im 22 now.
I am not sure how realistic this expectation is.

workerdude85 said:
Are business colleges nationally recognised and valued for job, are these considered tertiary qualifications amongst big companies if i like to get a job in accounting or marketing?
They are recognised as the equivalent to TAFE qualifications.

workerdude85 said:
or would i require a university degree, i met few people who had degrees but couldnt find a job,
Depends on what career you are looking at, for instance something like law, medicine, Accounting, etc will look quite favourably on degrees and in some instances only accept university graduates.

workerdude85 said:
so im guessing practical experience is just as important or more important than some paper degree.
This also depends on what career your looking into doing.

workerdude85 said:
also what is the main difference between a business college and tafe? are any one of these specifically more recognised?
AFAIK there is not a real difference except for price and structure (ie; cadetships)

Last edited:

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
im looking to develop a career in marketing, what is the best way to go about it? im thinking of seeing a career counsellor

HSC
N/A
workerdude85 said:
im looking to develop a career in marketing, what is the best way to go about it?
Sorry but I cannot help you on that one, maybe someone else will know more about this particular area

workerdude85 said:
im thinking of seeing a career counsellor
That's probably a good idea

bizadfar

HSC
You need experience if you do accounting, otherwise honestly you won't get far at all. So get simple work (at a bank, institution, or assistant in a firm) while you study if you can.

ioniser

HSC
if you can get into some course for accounting at business college,tafe....etc.Try get it part time with maybe a little business who would be more likely to accept you compared with the big 4 accounting firms.Doing that can get you the experience and proceed along.However starting as a basic accountant wont't get you big pay and mind you its very boring (I've heard of and met too many people who have changed careers from accounting compared with other sectors).After you finish your accounting course the next logical step is to become a chartered accountant and thats when you start making money.

As for marketing its a very competitive sector even people with degrees struggle to find jobs in marketing.My best bet i guess in marketing are part time related jobs in the area,also joining one of them networking marketing organisations(where you make money from the individuals you recruit to the company.

Theres also the logistical trades path , where you can start as a trainee,in this sector you can get very far to becoming managers without qualifications,although this will take some years of experience.

Other top notch jobs include traffic controllers which dont require qualifications .The biggest money you can make is in the mining sector straight off up to 100k all food and accommodation paid for, you can become a miner trainee,if so be sure to apply for an australian based company.As Australia is the best in this industry and also the safest compared with other countries in terms of mining,this industry can pay very well but also depends on your personality to cope with the demand of the industry after all they dont pay you big for nothing

HSC
N/A
bizadfar said:
You need experience if you do accounting, otherwise honestly you won't get far at all. So get simple work (at a bank, institution, or assistant in a firm) while you study if you can.
Are you sure that's the case, cause I would assume that a firm would require someone that they can put into the CPA or CA programs, thus requiring a degree or equivalent.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
I am not sure how realistic this expectation is.
if i move across a few borders to QLD my pay will jump from $42K to $57K, base salary. and i've just turned 22 today.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
if i move across a few borders to QLD my pay will jump from $42K to $57K, base salary. and i've just turned 22 today.
happy birthday :)
i have no relevant input for this discussion.

cl3nta

HSC
happy birthday too.. I can't really help you out but you could get free counseling from places like centrelink who could really help you out :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
workerdude85 said:
i cannot simply afford to spend $18,000 a year to study at university.
you don't have to fork it out up front, you can do HECs, plus i don't think degrees are usually $18,000 a year :eek:..but to get into uni you'll have to do an open foundation year (or at least at my uni, other universities may be different)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Full fee paying degrees can cost up to $18k a year, but as the above person has said, if you can get a CSP (HECS) course, then you will be able to defer all your course fees and only have to pay for basic uni fees and books, which should be cheaper than going to college, private business schools, etc.

ioniser

HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Are you sure that's the case, cause I would assume that a firm would require someone that they can put into the CPA or CA programs, thus requiring a degree or equivalent.

nope there are courses out there that can be taken and are credited towards a CPA. I know a guy who did uni part time and didn't finish but did go onto get a CPA

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
workerdude85 said:
I **DO NOT** require advice from anyone younger than 18 as i imagine they dont have the necessary real life experience to pinpoint my problems. Can anyone preferably in their early 20 point me in the right direction.
:rofl: i've gotten to the age where some people value my 'life experience' :confused:

workerdude85 said:
My job at the moment is at a large beverage company earning $40,000 per year, i've been working for 4 years mainly in call centre as sales consultant, i want to increase my salary to at least $60,000-$70,000 before i turn 25, im 22 now.
i also don't know how realistic that is, considering you need to study first and then find a job
workerdude85 said:
i cannot simply afford to spend $18,000 a year to study at university.
where did you look into uni prices? if you're a local you should be paying around $6000 per year and you can defer it all and only pay when you get a job and start to make a certain amount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)