• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

An advantage of using monetary policy to manage the economy (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
dude, its demand management.
- can ease inflationary demand push pressures
- slow credit growth
- contract the economy through diminished demand

its a 'blunt' economic weapon, but it is also effective.

Rorix

HSC
i am rolling my eyes over the internet :rolleyes:

Rorix

HSC
maybe its an eager yr11 studying ahead

HSC
Rorix said:
maybe its an eager yr11 studying ahead
nope..tis an 04er..

unmentionable: oh and btw, how did you find my china essay?..i couldn't put in the graphs coz the file would;ve been too big

Groagy

HSC
Monetary policy is faster to implement than fiscal policy. i.e. the RBA meets monthly to decide the cash rate, whereas the government will only have one budget per year (or also a mini-budget, but this rarely happens).

Secondly, as the RBA is independent of the government, monetary policy should theoretically be free from government intervention or politicking, unlike fiscal policy which can be highjacked by the electoral cycle (i.e. the government spends a lot in an election year to win over voters, regardless of the current state of the economy).

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
but fiscal policy is implemented throughout the course of the 12months, not just during the time when the budget is issued right? did u mean fiscal policy have longer time lags? that's what my teacher said.
by the way, how long is it before we see the effect of monetary policy after it's implemented?

HSC
no no no...i think he means that fiscal takes longer to implement, but has a shorter time lag.
monetary on the other hand, can be implemented faster than fiscal, but has a time lag of around 6-18 months until the effects of the policy show up in the economy.

ar5ena1

HSC
Groagy said:
Monetary policy is faster to implement than fiscal policy. i.e. the RBA meets monthly to decide the cash rate, whereas the government will only have one budget per year (or also a mini-budget, but this rarely happens).

Secondly, as the RBA is independent of the government, monetary policy should theoretically be free from government intervention or politicking, unlike fiscal policy which can be highjacked by the electoral cycle (i.e. the government spends a lot in an election year to win over voters, regardless of the current state of the economy).
Na mate I think you're wrong there, Fiscal policy has a more immediate impact than MP, which has a time lag. Read you're text.

Rorix

HSC
ITT posters confuse implemetation and effects, further confusion ensures

Groagy

HSC
ar5ena1 said:
Na mate I think you're wrong there, Fiscal policy has a more immediate impact than MP, which has a time lag. Read you're text.
What I meant was that the RBA can change monetary policy at more regular intervals than the government can change fiscal policy (i.e. once/month versus once/year, respectively). Thus, monetary policy can be changed more often to reflect the anticipated economic conditions, giving it an advantage over fiscal policy in that respect. I realize monetary policy has a 6-18 month lag period, which is why the RBA takes into consideration economic forecasts. What I wrote before wasn't about the impact time of monetary and fiscal policy, but rather the speed at which the RBA can raise/lower the cash rate versus the time for the government to compile a new budget.

ar5ena1

HSC
Government spending can be added to at any time during the year, not just at budget time. But yeah know that you clarify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)