• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Any Advice regarding My subjects? (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
For my prelim I'm thinking of doing

- Maths Ext 1
- English Ext 1
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Economics
- Business Studies

Totaling 14 units

But everyone is saying that 14 units is going to be too much and it'll be too much work load and for year 12 -

- Maths Ext 2
- English Adv.
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Economics

Totaling 12 units

As far as Uni goes I think I'm going to go for Bachelor of Economics so kind of a business side degree

Also if anyone who have done English Ext. in Prelim could you please tell me if its good/bad/interesting etc... and what do you really do in it because my teacher wont tell me anything, he just says wait untill next year and find out...

So what do you guys think... should I drop 1 unit or 2 units or should I just keep them until year 12 and drop and pick up what I wrote above.

Thanks for your reply :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well do watever you want in prelim. probably should do as many units as you can so you have more options when yr 12 comes, if you can handle it. and in yr 12 you should drop to around 12 units because its not worth wasting time on your other units if its not going to count.
umm ext. eng for our school was basically the same as english adv. i cudn't tell the difference, its just the topic is different...? i dont really know. it was more interesting than adv. english though

HSC
i think you should dropone your sciences..

if you really want to do economics..physics and chemistry wont really get you far..

TBK11

HSC
hmm why is Chemistry and physics your subject choice if your aiming for a B.Eco degree seems pointless in doing unless you love science :)

Stephie-Rae

HSC
Personally i think your best bet is taking all 14 for the start of prelim, if your school's comfortable with you doing that, cause thats really the best way to have a look at what you enjoy and what you feel you can excel in, then make your decision. You can drop up to 2 units any time through year 11, you don't have to keep them the whole way through, if at any time the work load gets too much then you can always drop something. Obviously the extra subject will give you a bigger workload, but that's just a matter of organisation and your personal decision as to whether thats what you want to do. But remember, the marks don't go toward your HSC anyway, it's intended to be a trial run, so treat it that way. You don't want to decide to not take a certain subject, then end up at the end of prelim hating one that you're in and wishing you'd taken another, get a feel for them before you decide.

And don't worry about being questioned on choosing sciences and wanting to go into business, if you have a goal course then obviously you have to take prerequisites or recommended studies into account. But other than that, just choose the subjects you enjoy and you feel you'll do well in, I'm wanting to go into law and become a barrister and i'm doing 4unit maths, physics and chemistry, which aren't really the typical choices for that area, but it's what i enjoy and what i feel i can do best in, that's what the HSC's all about really.

Hope that helps
xo

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Stephie-Rae said:
Personally i think your best bet is taking all 14 for the start of prelim, if your school's comfortable with you doing that, cause thats really the best way to have a look at what you enjoy and what you feel you can excel in, then make your decision. You can drop up to 2 units any time through year 11, you don't have to keep them the whole way through, if at any time the work load gets too much then you can always drop something. Obviously the extra subject will give you a bigger workload, but that's just a matter of organisation and your personal decision as to whether thats what you want to do. But remember, the marks don't go toward your HSC anyway, it's intended to be a trial run, so treat it that way. You don't want to decide to not take a certain subject, then end up at the end of prelim hating one that you're in and wishing you'd taken another, get a feel for them before you decide.

And don't worry about being questioned on choosing sciences and wanting to go into business, if you have a goal course then obviously you have to take prerequisites or recommended studies into account. But other than that, just choose the subjects you enjoy and you feel you'll do well in, I'm wanting to go into law and become a barrister and i'm doing 4unit maths, physics and chemistry, which aren't really the typical choices for that area, but it's what i enjoy and what i feel i can do best in, that's what the HSC's all about really.

Hope that helps
xo
Ahh thanks for the advice, I guess i'll stick with my 14 units.

As far as science goes I love science and I think I can put in 100% effort into science along with maths and economics, cant say the same for English tho but I can try and put in 110% to equal 100%, I'm not that much of an English lover, not now anyway but I'll see how it goes.

---

Thanks for the advice everyone

HSC
iRuler said:
Ahh thanks for the advice, I guess i'll stick with my 14 units.

As far as science goes I love science and I think I can put in 100% effort into science along with maths and economics, cant say the same for English tho but I can try and put in 110% to equal 100%, I'm not that much of an English lover, not now anyway but I'll see how it goes.

---

Thanks for the advice everyone
you might regret it after liek the first few weeks at school..

do you remember how yor really hyped up about doing new subjects (year 9)
or starting a new year and then come to realise you cbb putting all that effort into al those subjects?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Why not drop English Extension (heaven forbid...) or one of the sciences? I'd be more likely to drop Physics or Chem personally but you need to do what you need to do. :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
you might regret it after liek the first few weeks at school..

do you remember how yor really hyped up about doing new subjects (year 9)
or starting a new year and then come to realise you cbb putting all that effort into al those subjects?
HAHA lol, well for Commerce and IST I thought it was going to be fun but it ended u being so boring and a waste,all we ever do is answer questions from a text book for both the subjects... but then again they are electives so what can I say.

But for these subjects I actually want to do them so I may as well keep them and anyway like someone said you can drop out of up to 2 units or so anytime you like during yr 11 so I guess I'll keep them, not that I'm dropping out anyway.

supercalamari said:
Why not drop English Extension (heaven forbid...) or one of the sciences? I'd be more likely to drop Physics or Chem personally but you need to do what you need to do. :)
Well I was thinking about extension English but I may as well try it anyway before i jump to conclusions about it since I have not even tried it yet. But My cousin said its good and I should do it (he's just started yr 12) and someone said before that there isnt a big difference so I guess I'll stick with it but i'll drop it in year 12 for extension 2 Maths :D, still thinking about about Business or Economics for year 12, i'll see how I go with the Prelim.

But for science I think i'll keep both of them, I Like science and I'm sure i'll excel at Science. :read:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
iRuler said:
so I guess I'll stick with it but i'll drop it in year 12 for extension 2 Maths :D
Argh! Blasphemy! How terrible!

... well then again I might drop extension 1 if it's bloody frustrating, I don't know. I hope it's good though, I'm sure it will be.

MissGiggles

HSC
14 units? our school only lets us do 12 and thats after they cancelled sport days (woohoo!!!!). its compulsory we fill all 12 units for preliminary year so we can switch but no dropping subjects outright :( im planning to do extension maths and english, chem, bio and 2U religion (coz rel's compulsory) and i can drop either extension or go down to 1U religion in yr 12 if i hate them but no movement in the sciences for me (i really shud wait to try all these first but wot the hell). u must have short periods or long days. in all honsety i dont no how my periods will be set up yet but no more than 12U tolerated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)