• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone into Progressive Rock/Metal, Shred, Fusion, etc.? (1 Viewer)

FlashCE

HSC
Favourite bands include:

Dream Theater
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree
Ayreon

Favourite artists include:

Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Steve Morse

Just wanna start a discussion regarding these sort of awesome music :)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i dont know if coheed and cambria are prog rock... but if they are then i love them

volition

arr.
HSC
coheed and cambria have catchy tunes so I don't really care that they're emo. "Welcome Home" by them sounds very rock opera, it's a great track.

Yeah I like Dream Theater, I also reckon King Crimson are alright.

Heard of a project called Celldweller? Klayton does some good music mixing techno and metal. Heaps of Celldweller songs have been put into video games and movies so you might even recognise some of them once you hear them. My favs from him would have to be: Switchback, Under my Feet and Afraid this time. The intro to the song "So sorry to say" (with the strings) is pretty good.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
best prog rock band ever......Yes. roundabout is the most awesome song. its captain insano.

steve morse is heaps good in deep purple, dont know his older stuff.

an welcome home, by coheed and cambria, was the song that got me into them, that songs got an awesome intro..........i might listen to coheed n cambria now?!

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
I'm freaking obsessed with Ayreon. I love it all to death, but more for the fact of it being such a diverse mixture of styles/singers than simply for being good prog rock/metal. The other artists mentioned I havn't really gotten into a lot yet, but Spock's beard, Beyond Twilight and Symphony X are another few excellent bands though the latter is counted more as a prog/power metal hybrid

Last edited:

neafoo

HSC
<3 shred =]]]]] ;D
cacophony are prolly my favs.

Kmara2nv

HSC
opeth are fkn insance band like em heaps....tool is heaps good progressive band....and yea go opeth

FlashCE

HSC
Oh yes, I'm a huge Neal Morse and Transatlantic fan too. I haven't heard any Spock's Beard stuff though.

Isn't Steven Wilson's collaboration with Mike Portnoy too? I can't wait, three of my favourite musicians working together :eek:

Steve Morse's solo stuff is really good. His phrasing abilities are insane.

I listen to bits of Rush, Genesis and King Crimson, but I'm not obsessed at all.

N.P.: Pain of Salvation - "Idioglossia"

Edit: I like a bit of Symphony X too, but their lyrics are so cheesy at times :p

Last edited:

FlashCE

HSC
I can't seem to find a definition for prog that fits all prog bands. Odd time signatures, key changes, technical instrumental passages are common in some of the more modern prog (Dream Theater, Transatlantic). However, other kinds of prog like Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, etc. don't exactly focus on the technical side of music.

I'd say it's mainly versatility in music. Prog bands can get extremely heavy and extremely quiet. Bands like Opeth fuse death metal growls with very mellow singing.

Anyone care to take over?

FlashCE

HSC
I don't mind Geddy's vocals at all. I've always been a huge Dream Theater fan, even their Charlie Dominici days. Charlie's vocals are pretty close to Geddy's (though definitely not an imitation at all). When I first heard Rush in the song 2112 Overture, I was blown away. I got used to Geddy's vocals straight away.

I'm just not too interested in some of their music though. A bit too classic rock-sounding in my opinion. I like the circus-like stuff, e.g. The Flower Kings :D

Edit: So how many of you people with awesome taste in music will I be seeing in Melbourne University next year? :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)