• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are checkouts that bad? (1 Viewer)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I work on a checkout at woolies, and have done for about 2 and a half years now. My 'pro's and cons' are pretty much the same as everyone else as mentioned.

I found that after a year or so of working there, I began to get a lot more confidant. Even now I have fun seeing just how much I can get away with.

For example, when I'm standing out the front of my register (normal protocol for when we're not serving), and a customer stands slightly to the side of me looking at my register light in a really obvious manner, I just look back. I don't do anything until they gather up the guts to actually ask me if I'm open - the way I see it, I'm helping them to build confidence.

And let's not forget this little gem I've been using more often lately:

*I scan through a ridiculously small item*
Me: Would you like a bag for this?
Customer: Yeah I better, it's just that--
Me: Please don't justify it.
*Packs bag, continues as normal*

And another time, I was stocking the impulse shelves next to someone elses checkout (we're good friends), and she accidently scanned one item from the next order onto his. Now as anyone working in checkouts will tell you, this is the customer's cue to make a joke along the lines of "oh, you can pay for my groceries if you really want to, hahaha" and then act like it's the funniest/most original thing in the world. Which is exactly what he did.

Me being the tired, worn out, incredibly sarcastic individual that I am, walked over to the checkout laughing my head off. "Oh my goodness, that is the funniest thing I have ever heard while working here. Hahahahaha, 'pay for it if you want to' indeed! Oh man, you crack me up! How did it go again?" (Customer repeats it, obviously confused) "Hahahahaha! So funny! Have a good day!"

The look on the customers face was priceless.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
LOL....you're soo evil!

Hey, did anyone get one of those stupid "fill the bag, not the environment" bookelts to fill out yet? boy is that a stupid piece of trash! Nearly all the questions assume a specific answer! E.g: How many items do you put in a bag?
lets see: If I'm on express....usually 1 - 10, big checkouts, 6 - 20+ or if it's someone with two coke cartons, then 0......these ppl are a multimillion dollar company and they give us this shit?

Anyway......I need to vent about hypocritical ppl who work with me.
Most ppl are really nice, with the exception of the smoke shop nazi......- that's a story for another time.
Anyway, there's a few ppl who aren't fully fledged supervisors, yet they act like they're the freaking president of the woolworths food chain! One girl...who's voice is all nasal....(it really gets on my nerves) has the nerve to chat to her girlfriends about some guy she met last night while a friend of mine and I are flat out serving a 20+ express line of ppl. who gives a sh*t (insert name) about some guy you met? Especially when he has to move back to where he came from, hopefully never having to see your pathetic face again!

Then later in the night, there is no one to be seen (one of those boring shifts) and she thinks she has the right to say to me to do some work when I was chatting to a checkout friend....WTF!!! (situation: all checkouts were clean, about 3 customers in the store, all but one who was serving checkout ppl were twiddling their thumbs doing nothing, and I had some baskets under my hand, on my way to put back.)

B/c I've only been there since Sept 2004, I really have no place to say something......until I think of something witty........*evil grin*...any ideas?

I freakin hate ppl like that. I used to never talk, unless they broke their own rule.
Oh yeah, later on in the night, it got busy and she decided to chat to the person I was serving.....it;s like F*** off (name)! Do some work, and please get your nasal voice fixed!

Collin

HSC
N/A
At where I work:

Cons:
- Sore legs, although it doesn't happen anymore cause I've been doin' it for 5 years
- Sometimes get nervous when it's busy
- 13 hour shifts

Pros:
- Watch TV, eat food
- Get crap customers, so I can tell em' off for being idiots
- I get paid

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hfis said:
I work on a checkout at woolies, and have done for about 2 and a half years now. My 'pro's and cons' are pretty much the same as everyone else as mentioned.

I found that after a year or so of working there, I began to get a lot more confidant. Even now I have fun seeing just how much I can get away with.

For example, when I'm standing out the front of my register (normal protocol for when we're not serving), and a customer stands slightly to the side of me looking at my register light in a really obvious manner, I just look back. I don't do anything until they gather up the guts to actually ask me if I'm open - the way I see it, I'm helping them to build confidence.

And let's not forget this little gem I've been using more often lately:

*I scan through a ridiculously small item*
Me: Would you like a bag for this?
Customer: Yeah I better, it's just that--
Me: Please don't justify it.
*Packs bag, continues as normal*

And another time, I was stocking the impulse shelves next to someone elses checkout (we're good friends), and she accidently scanned one item from the next order onto his. Now as anyone working in checkouts will tell you, this is the customer's cue to make a joke along the lines of "oh, you can pay for my groceries if you really want to, hahaha" and then act like it's the funniest/most original thing in the world. Which is exactly what he did.

Me being the tired, worn out, incredibly sarcastic individual that I am, walked over to the checkout laughing my head off. "Oh my goodness, that is the funniest thing I have ever heard while working here. Hahahahaha, 'pay for it if you want to' indeed! Oh man, you crack me up! How did it go again?" (Customer repeats it, obviously confused) "Hahahahaha! So funny! Have a good day!"

The look on the customers face was priceless.
hahahahhaaha repped!!!!
lol shit that was funny, it made my night :D:D:D

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
hfis..u actually have to stand infront of ur register when ur not serving
we did that 4 2 weeks..on sum gay green dot
but we eventually got over it
no oen does it nemore

jang

is not my real name
HSC
soha said:
hfis..u actually have to stand infront of ur register when ur not serving
we did that 4 2 weeks..on sum gay green dot
but we eventually got over it
no oen does it nemore
so what do u do now then when ur not serving?
play battleshits?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i collect baskets
or stock
or sit on my register and do jackshit
or talk to sumone
or hide from customers..under my register..pretending to do sumthing..like fill bags

Collin

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
My friend is such as smart arse..its funny tho. Our checkouts are back to back ones were u can face another operator. Anyway, my friend was across from me and she started talking to me. And the lady she was serving asked her if she was always this rude to customers and my friend replies "no not always"..anyway the lady ended up complaining to the supervisor who didnt do anything anyway...
Fuck, if that was me I would of said 'Only to you, darl'.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
soha said:
or hide from customers..under my register..pretending to do sumthing..like fill bags

haha i do that.. i keep a pile of safers in a basket under my checkout and when im bored and sick of customers and see one heading my way, i turn my light off and take the safers to where im sposed to put em...

one guy i work with actually hides under his register and reads magazines while he's working to get away from people.. fuck it cracks me up :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
_muse_ said:
one guy i work with actually hides under his register and reads magazines while he's working to get away from people.. fuck it cracks me up :)
lol!!

sdfsdfs

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Least I haven't had the "you look like you need something to do" line for a while. That one annoys the hell out of me.

LOL I hide aswell from customers, but it never works for me...our customers are rude and look over the checkouts to find someone - they know we hide LOL.

This could be in my head, but I can't stand it when customers in express just assume I am ready for them. When I'm doing a pickup, this takes me all of 1 min, yet they can't wait that long and demand to be served.
Another annoyance is when I'm not even up to getting money from the 1st customer when the 2nd, usually a rude male, will start unloading his crap on the counter (in express) and as much as I give him the disgusted look, he doesn;t get it, and expects service right then and there. So naturally I take my sweet ass time with the 1st customer, even striking up a conversation with them to piss the hell out of the guy.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
omg i hate it when ur at ur register and u leave cause theres nobody there and u go to the office or go collect the baskets or whatever and when u get back theres a customer standing there and theyve unloaded their basked of groceries on the counter.... they just fucking assume ur gonna return immediately to ur register.... fuck that shits me no end :mad:
another thing that shits me is women never seem to know how to use the eftpos teminal correctly. i always say "select ur account" then they go straight to entering their pin number...... n it makes like an error sound if u enter ur pin too early..... they are oblivioius to that.... so i say again "select ur account first" then they're all like "oh *giggles* whoops" then sometimes if i am in a good enough mood i force out a fake chuckle. but seriously i mean wtf is with that? they fuckin well go shopping enough that they should know how to use eftpos. and men NEVER do it. i don't even need to say "select ur account" cause they have enough common sense to read the screen
[/stereotypicalism]

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
7:am: (opening time) or just after a pick up
customer: are you opening?
me: yeah just ut your stuff up i'll be ready in a minute im just opening.
customer: ok
*items scanned*
me: would you like any cash out.
customer: $400
me: sorry i don't have that i just opened.
customer: sigh bu i need 400
me: i'll just save it and you can try the smoke shop. spends next 5 minutes explaining how it will on;y be one transaction...

Use a fucking atm

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
ooooo i hate that. We are only supposed to keep $300 in 50s in our draw after pickup. And usually people have to wait while i do it. Then when they go to pay they say i want $800 or something. have to save it . wait for a super and hold up the line.

my most annoying moment ever was when i was on express. we dont usually have anyone on smoke shop so we have to do both if your on that register. anyway i was serving someone with groceries. i finish. just barely and didnt se ethe guy behind me. to get my attention he didnt say hello or anything . stupid sexist male whistled at me. like you would a dog. I gave him the biggest dirty ever. couldnt tell him off cos the service manager was on the next reg. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!RESPECT!?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Katie123 said:
ooooo i hate that. We are only supposed to keep $300 in 50s in our draw after pickup. And usually people have to wait while i do it. Then when they go to pay they say i want $800 or something. have to save it . wait for a super and hold up the line.

my most annoying moment ever was when i was on express. we dont usually have anyone on smoke shop so we have to do both if your on that register. anyway i was serving someone with groceries. i finish. just barely and didnt se ethe guy behind me. to get my attention he didnt say hello or anything . stupid sexist male whistled at me. like you would a dog. I gave him the biggest dirty ever. couldnt tell him off cos the service manager was on the next reg. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!RESPECT!?
that was ur worst experience? wow, u've had it easy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)