• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Art or Finance? (1 Viewer)

Fault

HSC
Hi, I am really confused on what I should do when I leave school. I'm torn between art and finance, but I think I enjoy art much more than financey stuff (since I haven't been exposed to much finance things). I'm afraid that if I choose a career in art it would be really difficult to get a job, and I don't want to waste 4 years in uni doing something useless. Would anybody know if there are actually a lot of jobs that relate to design? The problem is, I think I like finance, since I enjoy reading and learning about it, but when I was in an office for one week (work experience), it wasn't really my atmosphere. Any advice?Thanks.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Art majors can be useful provided that you are particular with your majors.

Personally, if I could turn back time, I'd make a good analysis of salaries I could one day obtain such as here:

http://www.mycareer.com.au/jobs/-/graduate/

and pick a field.

I'd say there are a lot of design jobs, as well as finance jobs. Ultimatley you've got to love your job. You're obviously quite realistic about it financially, so have a look at job search sites and search as if you're a graduate.

Other than that, do some more work experience, such as for a design company. Also, working in an office (I've worked in an office for over a year now), you were probably doing shit-kicker work, making copies, coffees, invoicing etc. I'm sure you know that one you graduate, you do a lot more than that. But if it's really the atmosphere, I'm not sure. I've done a few office jobs, some are crap, some are hip and trendy...

Ultimatley it's your decision, but do a bit more research on salaries and work experience :)

7th Sign

HSC
finance.........you will make more money doing it...in art you will not get much....

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Yeah. I use to think that I would like to become an architech but didnt think I would be able to make enough money to support myself or to buy the things I really wanted. I also found that even though you enjoy a certain subject, like Arts over Commerce its usually because its actually easier and less pressure.

Fault

HSC
bscienceboi said:
I also found that even though you enjoy a certain subject, like Arts over Commerce its usually because its actually easier and less pressure.
True. I like art because it doesn't hurt your brain :)

OhMaJuck

HSC
Ok get this straight
No one can last a job which then dont enjoy its like taking a career for cleaning Even the pay is good .... Money isnt everything in life i guess just need to maintain ur life....

For art becoming a art teaher in seconardly skool is good and do art ... in ur personal time or take up part time job in art industrie....
my skool arts teachers never regret becoming a art teacher.... able to spend time after skool of freedom.......

for finaces.... ur need to use ur brian quickly.....Espicall Maths Maths
and will end up a salary man..... working for companys which its alright but less family time and freedom

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
I fking hate finance right about now.. but that could be due to a quiz next week.

so.. do something that you ENJOY!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
you only make more money than finance people after u die...lol
oh imagine the prestige!

even if its posthumous :(

Fault

HSC
OhMaJuck said:
For art becoming a art teaher in seconardly skool is good and do art
That would be a good idea but, I wouldn't like to deal with those students who think their cool and a gangster... I think I'll get fired for stabbing them with my artbrush -_-.

But you know what's evil? The art teachers in my school use all the resources (paints, canvas etc), ordering them for "students needs" only to sell them for lots of $$ which means 100% profit lol.

Any views about the advertising industry? That's kinda arty.

HSC
N/A
I don't know whether anyone's suggested this to you yet, but MQ's Creative Arts degree combines your "art" as well as a number of business units. The idea here is to let to undergo some serious study in your art, but at the same time giving you the training for a "real" job as well (you'll cover marketing, accounting, human resource management, as well as an internship).

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Fault said:
Hi, I am really confused on what I should do when I leave school. I'm torn between art and finance, but I think I enjoy art much more than financey stuff (since I haven't been exposed to much finance things). I'm afraid that if I choose a career in art it would be really difficult to get a job, and I don't want to waste 4 years in uni doing something useless. Would anybody know if there are actually a lot of jobs that relate to design? The problem is, I think I like finance, since I enjoy reading and learning about it, but when I was in an office for one week (work experience), it wasn't really my atmosphere. Any advice?Thanks.
Do what you enjoy. IF art makes you happy take that path. If you don't think you can make as an artist, perhaps design (you can do web, book, heaps of different shit) If you like office work and numbers then do that. If you don't like either of those go try a heap of different things. Just figure out what you want to do and do that.

Unless you define what makes you happy by the amount of money you have, in which case do something that you hate but get heaps of money and you can just buy away your pain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)