• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Asian languages in primary schools (2 Viewers)

zstar

HSC
N/A
Australia's top export destinations.

Japan 20.3%, China 11.5%, India 10.8% (2007), South Korea 7.9%, US 6.7%, New Zealand 6.5% (2005)

Considering that this is an old statistic Australia relies more on Asia than ever before.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Stop being a faggot. Most Australians don't give a fuck about the subtitles of language or the beauty of French poetry.

They want useful skills to make money so they can buy alcohol, and utes, and alcohol powered utes.

Seriously though, I'm not really denigrating such "higher" pursuits. People can (and perhaps should) pursue them in their own time.

But public schools have limited time and resources. To the extent that governments set curriculum (not something I approve of) they should at least be basing such judgments on what is most useful for students.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
It's not the role of public schools to teach our children Asian languages.

This would be a huge distraction from lessons on the climate change apocalypse and feminist interpretations of marxist literature.

PrettyStarFury

HSC
I think it's an absolutly great idea, and I wish they'd brought it in 13 years earlier. With the rapid rate of globalisation I think this will definatly have a possitive impact on the world economy.
As for the kids being too young, that age is the perfect time to start. If you're brought up knowing something, of course you'd have a superior knowledge of it then if you'd started learning once you were already set in your ways.
Also, it's better to teach tehm an asian language from a younge age as European languages are alot more similar to engish, and therefore easier to grasp once you're older.
The only bad bit is that I doubt the kids will have any say in what they learn. Other then that, I think it's an excellent plan and big step forward.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yeh its not a bad idea, but dont limit to the asian langauges, should be a bit of french, german, italian or spanish in there, and wtf at 90 minutes a day, way too much. there should be a greater focus on english, mathematics and maybe even science , particularly at a young age where kids really need to develop those skills.
True. But remember, the article is from Daily Telegraph. Until this is confirmed in a arguably more reliable newspaper (SMH) I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Sarebs

HSC
I remember hearing that if children are taught another language as well as English when they're young, it helps them to understand English better. It's great if that's true, but I may have heard it on Oprah or something like that, so who knows.

I also think geographically, Asian language ftw. In terms of the future and who will be the next superpower, could be a winner too.

I personally learnt some Japanese in the lower years of high school. Hardest thing ever, never got used to those symbols. If I ever fluently learn another language, it will be French or German, something that uses the same symbols and sounds as us.

Jessica14

HSC
Being bilingual these days is becoming the norm and only being able to speak one single language is fast becoming more of a handicap.

It's a global community people, get used to it.

Lentern

HSC
I'm all for having a compulsory second language, but I don't think it should be limited to Asian languages. Although I wish this had happened when I was in primary school
I agree insofar as they are prominent languages. In year seven and eight they taught us Italian compulsorily which is lovely but not all that useful really. I'd probably like it restricted to Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, French, Arabic and Japanese perhaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)