• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Attention Debaters! (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi debaters!

Which schools do you think have good debating teams?
Is anyone in the interschools competition this year for year 12s?

I reckon that Hurlstone is really good. Baulko is okay. NSG was =|
How about Macq. fields? or Ruse?

And does anyone know which schools made it to state level last year?

Dave2007

HSC
Grammar undisputedly the winnnar

Both our firsts and seconds ISDA teams are in the grand final (happening friday week) (i.e. they are at least the top 2 best out of every single private school)

Both our firsts and seconds Eastside teams won the whole competition. (Beating out Sydney boys, sydney girls and other east suburb teams)

2 Boys in the state team (including captain of nsw)

1 boy in australian team.

Teh winnar at mock trial.

Public speaking ownage, one boy this year came second in the WORLD in the plain english speaking competition after winning NSW and AUS.

So yeah don't think there's any question about it in 2007...Of course no one cares about any of this nerdy shit anyway, unfortunately most people dont consider being in the debating 1sts a legitimate sport :(.

miss-smexy

HSC
Dave2007 said:
Grammar undisputedly the winnnar

Both our firsts and seconds ISDA teams are in the grand final (happening friday week) (i.e. they are at least the top 2 best out of every single private school)

Both our firsts and seconds Eastside teams won the whole competition. (Beating out Sydney boys, sydney girls and other east suburb teams)

2 Boys in the state team (including captain of nsw)

1 boy in australian team.

Teh winnar at mock trial.

Public speaking ownage, one boy this year came second in the WORLD in the plain english speaking competition after winning NSW and AUS.

So yeah don't think there's any question about it in 2007...Of course no one cares about any of this nerdy shit anyway, unfortunately most people dont consider being in the debating 1sts a legitimate sport :(.
Woahh and I heard that Syd girls had a good rep.

and debating isnt 'nerdy shit' XD It's funn :)

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
I miss debating, but I didn't take it up this year due to the amount of time it takes up.
But has anyone heard about the university's flying squad?

Dave2007

HSC
miss-smexy said:
Woahh and I heard that Syd girls had a good rep.

and debating isnt 'nerdy shit' XD It's funn :)
I know, this is my 7th year :wave:But some of my (rugby playing, for example) friends would not agree lol

Amylou: As if debating takes up too much time. The only gay part is losing friday nights. But you'd probably just be going out anyway, not really doing anything especially productive. Also, have not heard of this mysterious "flying squad".

Nich - hole: What school? I didn't do MT last year, but my commiserations. We probably had them bribed.

Zephyrio

HSC
Sefton's pretty good.

Both year 12 and year 11 teams into the regionals. Year 12s into regional final (after beating Mac Fields) against Hurlstone. Year 11s taking on Mac Fields to make it to regional final.

A team a few years ago made the state semi finals. And one of the debators last year was a state debator.

Last edited:

xoxo

HSC
when i used to debate, marist brothers at... campbeltown i think it was, were really good

im adjudicating this year and i look at the year sevens and eights and i really cant believe i ever debated like that.

you can tell the school that have really good debating coaches cause some students dont even know what their sposed to be doing as 1st 2nd or 3rd speaker....but they are sooo cute :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
xoxo said:
when i used to debate, marist brothers at... campbeltown i think it was, were really good

im adjudicating this year and i look at the year sevens and eights and i really cant believe i ever debated like that.

you can tell the school that have really good debating coaches cause some students dont even know what their sposed to be doing as 1st 2nd or 3rd speaker....but they are sooo cute :)
I never knew what I was supposed to be doing :eek:

xoxo

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I never knew what I was supposed to be doing :eek:
really? wow, we had it drummed into us from day one - whether or not we actually did debating...1st speaker does this but cant do this...2nd speaker can do this this and this but remember that 3rd cant bring any new points.....it got kinda repetitive after a while.

what did ur coaches do then?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I knew enough to get me by, but our coach didn't exactly lecture us on the style, more to help us with the general topic and points of view and ideas that could have been brought up in the debate.

Btw, I only debated this year :eek:

miss-smexy

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Sefton's pretty good.

Both year 12 and year 11 teams into the regionals. Year 12s into regional final (after beating Mac Fields) against Hurlstone. Year 11s taking on Mac Fields to make it to regional final.

A team a few years ago made the state semi finals. And one of the debators last year was a state debator.
Yeh I totally agree!

Zephyrio

HSC
Sefton's year 12 team got into the top eight of the state.

And on Monday they're going to verse Ruse for a place in the semis.

Good luck to them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)