• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (2 Viewers)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i've been a participant in the sports forum for a while.
in fact, I ventured out of the USYD forums to non-school not that long ago.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
I think everyone is getting too caught up in this whole "we will go to the WC because we have the 2nd leg home advantage" misconception. The fact is - this doesn't mean shit.

1. Uruguay are capable of hammering the Socceroos 6-0 in Montevideo, even if we stack the defence and have 10 players behind the ball at every point in the game. This only allows the Uruguayans to attack and they will exploit any defensive flaw, not matter how much players are there. In this situation, the home leg will be rendered useless.

2. The atmosphere in Uruguay is daunting and will be difficult for the Socceroos no matter how much they say they are conditioned for it. Sydney will never be able to create this kind of atmosphere - even if Telstra Stadium gets packed out. Furthermore, there will be not one Aussie supporter in Montevideo whereas I can assure you that there will be a legion of Uruguayans in Sydney there to support their country - as there was in Melbourne last time. Again, the home advantage is rather useless.

3. Finally, the 2nd leg home advantage is peanuts compared to Uruguay's attacking and physical presence; and their experience in playing against some of the best national teams in the world and beating them in different atmospheres, conditions and coping with the different styles of play.

In saying this, I have total confidence that Australia can overcome Uruguay - but they will need a lot more than the cohesion, direction and structure that Guus Hiddink has been able to instil in his short reign. By "a lot more" I mean every single Socceroo playing their hearts out while upholding this cohesion and structure. And please don't look at the 5-0 drubbing of Jamaica - not only are they many classes below Uruguay, but the Socceroos played very poorly against Jamaica relative to the way they have to play to beat the South Americans.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Komit said:
I think everyone is getting too caught up in this whole "we will go to the WC because we have the 2nd leg home advantage" misconception. The fact is - this doesn't mean shit.
'everyone'? I mentioned this, but i didnt say we will go to the world cup. I said we have an advantage. Having an advantage and qualifying are two different things.

komit said:
1. Uruguay are capable of hammering the Socceroos 6-0 in Montevideo, even if we stack the defence and have 10 players behind the ball at every point in the game. This only allows the Uruguayans to attack and they will exploit any defensive flaw, not matter how much players are there. In this situation, the home leg will be rendered useless.
No they're not. Uruguay aren't an aggressive side. They like counter-attack football. Unless they are pushed to the limit, their playing style won't necessitate lots of goals. Have a look at the qualifying match scores.

komit said:
2. The atmosphere in Uruguay is daunting and will be difficult for the Socceroos no matter how much they say they are conditioned for it. Sydney will never be able to create this kind of atmosphere - even if Telstra Stadium gets packed out. Furthermore, there will be not one Aussie supporter in Montevideo whereas I can assure you that there will be a legion of Uruguayans in Sydney there to support their country - as there was in Melbourne last time. Again, the home advantage is rather useless.
Useless? Useless would mean that it'd be the same playing in Russia as in Australia. This isn't the case. Time and time again Australia (and not just in soccer) have performed much better in Australia. Hell, look at 4 years ago. Was the home ground advantage really useless?
However, I do agree with the fact that the atmosphere in urugay will be near impossible to overcome.

komit said:
3. Finally, the 2nd leg home advantage is peanuts compared to Uruguay's attacking and physical presence; and their experience in playing against some of the best national teams in the world and beating them in different atmospheres, conditions and coping with the different styles of play.
I'm not arguing against this. But the important thing is that it IS an advantage. They have a greater chance of qualifying than 4 years ago

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Uruguay ain't no Brazil, they can't score 6 in a match, not wit their current team at home.

If Recoba can do the job fo Uruguay, then our Harry must be able to do the same.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Kewell needs some match practice though. Seriously, 25 mins off the bench in a reserve game is not enough

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
By "everyone" I didn't mean people on this thread - I meant in general, people are getting too carried away with the home advantage. The home advantage is quite useless because the Socceroos hardly play in Australia and they train in Holland. While the Uruguayans also play over the world they have played more games in Uruguay together, than the Socceroos have played on home turf. I agree that it may be an advantage, but not enough to give the Aussies a better chance than 4 years ago. They have a better chance at winning because of Guus Hiddink. My main point was that the home advantage is as big as everyone is making it out to be.

For the South American qualifying group, the Uruguayan style didn't facilitate goals or in comparison to Brazil or Argentina, they aren't aggressive. But for an Australian team that is shaky at the back and has had distinct defensive problems in the past - it may be dangerous to invite attacking play.

Uruguay are capable of scoring 6 goals against Australia and (dare I say it) Australia can do the same against Uruguay. In the end, I think the teams are pretty even to be honest but the fact that Uruguay has played more games against stiffer competition gives them the edge. And don't compare Kewell to Recoba because Harry is just plain shit. He has done nothing special even when he wasn't injured. However, I hope that he can regain his
"Leeds form" for the sake of the Socceroos - I need to support someone when I go to the World Cup next year! :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Komit said:
And don't compare Kewell to Recoba because Harry is just plain shit. He has done nothing special even when he wasn't injured. However, I hope that he can regain his
"Leeds form" for the sake of the Socceroos - I need to support someone when I go to the World Cup next year! :)
Kewell played hiz best football durin the time at Leeds but haven't done shit recently. Same can be said about Recoba, he hazn't played many gamez fo Inter either. Both of em are talented playerz, I still remember the goal he scored against the Arse to hand Man Utd the league title in 2003.

What disappointz me though iz that Harry haz never really played well fo Australia, hope that'll come to an end soon.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Kewell played hiz best football durin the time at Leeds but haven't done shit recently. Same can be said about Recoba, he hazn't played many gamez fo Inter either. Both of em are talented playerz, I still remember the goal he scored against the Arse to hand Man Utd the league title in 2003.

What disappointz me though iz that Harry haz never really played well fo Australia, hope that'll come to an end soon.
Kewell played his best football during his time at Leeds but he hasen't done shit recently. Same can be said about Recoba, he hasn't played many games for Inter either. Both of em are talented players, I still remember the goal he scored against the Arse to hand Man Utd the league title in 2003.

What is disappointing me though is that Harry has never really played well for Australia, hope that'll come to an end soon

mcs

HSC
I think its going to be a damn tough assignment- we just got to get a draw over there I think or at very worse a loss by 1 goal but with us getting an away goal. But yeh, will be tough going. Dont really think Kewell should play hes played not much at all and well would be a risk to take in in the starting lineup. At least they can spend some time in Argentina before this game certainly will help them I feel.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
glenn, i think they have more of a chance than last year. but i doubt theyll do it

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
B and C sold out in 9 minutes.

I was going to buy the $195 ticket but decided against it.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
A few urugay players suspended from the first leg, woo hoo.

Numero Uno

HSC
yes they are startes it was on toyota world sports
i forgot the name of the players

and so our chances are growing , fuking cant wait till november 16th my hsc is over by then :) :)

julius

Banned
HSC
Keep dreaming, unless the Socceroos made a back room deal with the heads of FIFA for place in the said competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)