• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

bad teacher = bad UAI (2 Viewers)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun

Seriously, teacher's pets aren't pets at all. They just show respect for the teacher.

eh i'm a teachers pet :p. but i show no respect

Bepps

My suggestion: Write a polite (but strong) letter to the principal and get the whole class to sign it. We triumphed over our crappy year 11 phys teacher that way. If you have a cool principal that repects his seniors it should work...

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
don't drag it out. Do it as soon as possible. The longer you drag it out, the harder it'll be for you to change classes.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Bepps
My suggestion: Write a polite (but strong) letter to the principal and get the whole class to sign it. We triumphed over our crappy year 11 phys teacher that way. If you have a cool principal that repects his seniors it should work...
Most of the people in my physics class was thinking about doing this, but most of us couldn't be bothered because he was the only one in the school teaching physics :(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by DavidC
hey mazza
r u mary from fortstreet high?
DON'T ask stupid things like that in a post, use a PM. Users don't like it when you just post their name and school on the forum for everyone to see. And the mods hate it too.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
If you can understand what you read on your own(ie. 'outside study' does not mean tutoring), you should well be ahead and what you learn should be much more solid than others. You should inform the principal about your concerns. It doesn't affect you that much since you are first in school. Another thing which you can do is to keep the teacher alert: bombard the teacher with questions, especially tricky ones/hard ones. Make sure you chase the teacher up if him/her tells you that he/she will reply later.
competence on the student's behalf is utterly useless if the teacher they have is a total douchebag; after all, it is they who mark the trials.

im in this situation right now, all the good teachers left. the last good teacher (my current phys teacher) is about to leave. ill be stuck with an idiot most likely, for both phys and chem! now, learning the stuff is the easy part, but no matter how correct i am, they will mark me wrong cos they dont know themselves! and if i try to complain they'll hate me / ignore / think i think im good etc and surely deny me of the mark i deserve. fucking hell my goal of a good uai is now ruined cos of crappy teachers.

BlindGuardian

to be honest....ive never heard anyone say that they had a good physics teacher...
my physics teacher is by far the worst at the skool and the ppl that do have the best teacher still complain at how crap he is....
ive asked students at other skools and no one has ever complemented their phys teachers of bein any good
im just gonna cram for a week b4 the exam and learn the course off websites :D:D:D

JayWalker

HSC
My teacher was so bad that i stopped going to his classes.. I think in the whole of year 12 now, i've been to 5 of his classes , and they were computer classes so i only played games, HOWEVER
You can teach yourself... Tutors can also help :uhhuh:

lucyinthehole

ok, listen up kiddies. i have the worst teacher in our school. she's young, she knows the science, but she can't teach for shit - just gives out piles of notes, not really explaning anything, doesn't write on the board, give esamples, etc.
and i have her for both physics and chem (just my luck). she's better in physics cos i think that's what she did in uni, but for chem she's just terrible.
and i've had her for both yr 11 and 12. i could've changed classes, but kept putting it off.
and it is true that the sciences are the only subjects where technically you don't even need a teacher if you have a syllabus and a textbook. but i think we can all agree that we'd prefer to have things explained to us, rather than being left to fend for outselves.
i recommend you do something about it, don't just keep quite. you'll regret it later.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
our teacher is great, as a person and as a teacher. it makes it so much easier when u get on with ur teachers, regardless of the subject.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I hope my teacher doesn't read this. She didn't know much, frankly. Always got stuff wrong, was asking me what the answers were etc....

Went to North Shore Chinatown for all of Year 11 and 12 for physics tutoring. Scored 97 in the HSC for physics, UAI>99. Its do'able.

sub

my physics teacher's awesome...he teaches in a way thats really easy to learn from :) and he makes stuff enjoyable. :) yeah, having a good physics teacher helps :)
well thats the case with any subject too...the one subject that doesnt follow this rule is bio. my frend does bio and his teacher knows jackshit...she even sed "reptiles dont have eyes"...i mean come on, look at a fuking gecko, or a snake...THEY HAVE EYES...yet her class contains 9 of the top ten ppl that do bio...total pool of 31 i think...so yeah, having a good teacher is good and beneficial, but not having one may motivate u to learn stuff for yourself too. :)

bubble_tea

mazza_728 said:
Hi guys
im in year 11 and for physics and chemistry i have a really shocking teacher ... (its the same person) and i get so frustrated in classes... most people in my class find the same problem with the teacher. unlike the others i do alot of outside studying... basically everything i know ive found out for myself! im really scared that, although im coming 1st in my school, compared to others i will be falling behind. Im asking your advice on this one because im not sure whether to just shut up and continue going along teaching myself or do something about it.. like go to the principal and talk about it. ive spoken to my principal about it before but do u think its worth bringing it up and make sure something gets done or just leave it???
my friend did that, they made her write up a list of all the bad things the teacher did, and after she handed that in we didn't get any feedback or improvements.. I don't think your principal or science head teacher is going to do shit, if they're shit at teaching they won't be replaced, but will continue to be shit at teaching for the rest of their lives. Either change classes while you still can or resort to independant study.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
like i said above, if you want good in physics HSC, study yourself.. its not so much your teacher.

xeriphic

this happened with one of our biology classes this year, several students went up to the principal and complained, the next thing you know that teacher end up teaching the senior science class hmm, also happened with one of the english teachers too, my suggestion ?? not only talk to the principal but also study by yourself

wanton-wonton

HSC
mazza_728 said:
Hi guys
im in year 11 and for physics and chemistry i have a really shocking teacher ... (its the same person) and i get so frustrated in classes... most people in my class find the same problem with the teacher. unlike the others i do alot of outside studying... basically everything i know ive found out for myself! im really scared that, although im coming 1st in my school, compared to others i will be falling behind. Im asking your advice on this one because im not sure whether to just shut up and continue going along teaching myself or do something about it.. like go to the principal and talk about it. ive spoken to my principal about it before but do u think its worth bringing it up and make sure something gets done or just leave it???
this is same with english teacher

i wrote a letter of complaint to principal, attached with class petition, nothing happened other than the fact that the english department 'considered' this stuff.

but now i realise, that with all subjects, you really can't rely on the teachers. if you've a good teacher, you're lucky, if you dont and you can't do anything about it, dont stress about it, do the best you can do (im being a hypocrite here) and i know it sounds cliched but if you can't do anything about it or you've dont the most that you could do, whats the point in worrying about it?

Jase

HSC
There is something you can do about a bad teacher. Just ignore the arsehole and learn everything yourself. It's much easier AND faster. Or you could get him/her fired.. but then you'll be relying on luck for a better substitute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)