• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

blade runner and brave new world (1 Viewer)

lukey15#

HSC
what two scenes one in each br and bnw would be best to use to describe there similarities and differences?

sly fly

HSC
I think it would be good to do the openings of both BNW and BR. Good luck with it.

lukey15#

HSC
yeh thanks what do you think would be the best similarities and differences in the opening scenes of bnw and blade runner.

sly fly

HSC
- Nature is undermined in both. In BNW its through the harsh description of nature and in BR u can immediately see the pollution, smog etc
- BR portrays a scary scene, similar to hell whereas BNW exhibits a world which is not scary, but rather it is cold, mechanical, alienating etc
- BR uses imagery to convey meanings eg: eye is the window to the soul, dominant ziggurat shape of Tyrell building etc as does BNW eg: sun is seen as a ''harsh thin light'', suggesting a lack of understanding of nature
- BNW is more scientific and technological whereas BR is more sci-fi, futuristic. This is immediately evident.
- In BR, we get a warning and are expecting this scene (ie. the scrolled text at the beginning) whereas in BNW we recieve no warning (unless you've read the foreword)

Thats all I can think of atm.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
why not the end scenes? i like the constant suspense of both :D

lukey15#

HSC
ok

so what similarities and differences are in the last scenes?????????????

sarahn

HSC
the end of bladerunner is optimistic (as much as it could be, anyway)...the products of the system (ie. rachel and deckard) have defied it - love, what we would define as being a human emotion, between a pair of replicants has triumphed. in brave new world, huxley's tone in the last chapter is very different to the rest of the novel - very solemn. as youd know (or should, anyway) it ends with john's suicide - there is no hope for change in the world state...couple this with the banishment of helmholtz and bernard.

i reckon the ending gives each text a fundamentally different ideas - dont know how right i am on that one though...

Abtari

HSC
i dont think it relly matters which scenes u choose to show similarities and differences...whichever u feel comfortable with. u dont have to do the start or the end..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)