• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can Anyone Offer Some Help (1 Viewer)

MilfordSound

Im not going to lie, i suck at english and im in the advanced course because my school doesnt offer standard, im not doing to bad at most of the course, but im not coping well with the king lear productions thing, can anyone give me a site or something that can help? i just need to get a basic understanding of various perspectives on lear and different productions and their emphasis on certain aspects.

malayz_angel

Your school doesn't offer Advanced? Do you go to a selective?
Lol..I didn't know anything about the King Lear productions also and I just made up techniques for my trials. Sorry that I can't help you out with any websites but why don't you look at a video of a production? There's quite a few on King Lear...e.g. the Richard Eyre, the Lawrence Olivier, Paul Schofield, Miller...there's a bunch to pick from anyway.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by MilfordSound
Im not going to lie, i suck at english and im in the advanced course because my school doesnt offer standard, im not doing to bad at most of the course, but im not coping well with the king lear productions thing, can anyone give me a site or something that can help? i just need to get a basic understanding of various perspectives on lear and different productions and their emphasis on certain aspects.
king lear is the worst. i suggest the stuff on here, and the stuff from the standards packages as they are the most on the topic we've gotta study. take a look at some of the videos, c if u can find an interpretation, or if not, use the interpretations talked about on the stuff here and then go and look at the video urself and note down anything else. remember that u can talk about ur own interpretation, so therefor

e u can make 1 up in the exam (or before hand).

talk about techniques used - e.g. maybe in a feminist production, the female wears red, and the camera is from a low shot to emphasise power

MilfordSound

yes i do go to a selective school, thanks for the help but what do you mean "the stuff on here." you mean the bored of studies site? because i checked in the advanced english section and theres nothing on Lear.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
There IS stuff on lear - I uploaded it last night :)

If you don't understand, work through the play or at least the main scenes in the play (the storm, the dividing of the land, the sisters throwing Lear out, etc) until you understand what's going on. Then try to see how you could apply different philosophies or ways of thinking to that scene - is the storm a symbol of rampant feminism similar to bra-burning? (exaggerated, okay, but you get the picture) is lear a patriarch or merely a monarch? (is he a father-figure or is he a king?)

Watch some productions - it's a bit late to watch stage plays but definitely get out some videos. Look for A Thousand Acres (Jane Yolen, I think???), which is a movie appropriating the concept of lear + three daughters into a more modern context. There's many other productions which you can find by doing a search on King Lear on the BOS forums (right here!)

MilfordSound

OK thanks, and it seemed that my browser was having some trouble, i was clicking on advanced and it was taking me to standard, so i clicked it a few more times and it eventually got me to the advanced section, kind of weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)