• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can you vehemently oppose abortion and be pro-death penalty (2 Viewers)

Woteva636

HSC
I reckon that if there is necesary cause for abortion, and the woman is okay with it, then its fine. If the baby is going to be a vegtable all its life and they figure that out twelve or so weeks in, and the mother/parents cant afford to care for it for the rest of its/their lives, then they should have the right to abort the pregnency. also, if a single teenage girl becomes, there is a huge stigma attached, even though she may have been raped people will talk, she should have the right to an abortion.

spence

HSC
i think there's a large difference between being pro choice and being against the death penalty, than the other way around [for dp but vehemently against abortion]. because pro choice is that you don't mind whether people kill the baby or not, whereas being against abortion is saying that all babies must live. pro choice gives two options, where against abortion only gives one. i think what i'm trying to say makes sense...

i think death penalty is a stronger ethical issue than abortion. a woman should have the rights to her own body, but a living, breathing human being, no matter how filthily evil they are, that's a whole new ball game.
I am sure that my view is much more common than the opposite. I was just saying that in response to whether the two have to align

Uncle

Banned
HSC
When I am on the battlefield sometimes I am sympathetic and pull out my MK22 and tranquilise the soldier in the head rather than be brutal and pump 5.56mm rounds in his/her brain.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Today I got challenged by a Christian that my belief (anti DP) was unjustified and that the killing of another human being is a morally justifiable action, if they have commited 'grave harm' to society. On the same token, they are vehemently opposed to abortion with their brainwashed, largely dogmatic belief of "pro-life" (that it is never ok to take a human life). At this point, I felt a conflict of logic. For the philosophers and NCAP brains alike, is this a viable opinion to hold?

Do your stances on death penalty and abortion have to align, given they are based on the same premise- eg "Life is precious/not precious"?
It depends on the logic/ethics upon which you base each stance. I'm mainly pro-choice but anti-death penalty for aligning reasons; the belief that a person should have agency over their body and their life. Others base it on notions of innocence (which would mean it's about the innocence of the child and the guilt of the criminal), efficiency (costs money to maintain prisons which don't work and needing births to sustain the economy), utility or faith (all life is sacred and life predates birth). It should also be noted that just because that person is Christian does not equate with them using exclusively religious reasons for their stance.

Lara1986

HSC
Today I got challenged by a Christian that my belief (anti DP) was unjustified and that the killing of another human being is a morally justifiable action, if they have commited 'grave harm' to society. On the same token, they are vehemently opposed to abortion with their brainwashed, largely dogmatic belief of "pro-life" (that it is never ok to take a human life). At this point, I felt a conflict of logic. For the philosophers and NCAP brains alike, is this a viable opinion to hold?

Do your stances on death penalty and abortion have to align, given they are based on the same premise- eg "Life is precious/not precious"?
If based on that basic no one can decide to take a life premise, then I would think it is hypocritical to be pro one but anti the other.

However, I can see how some people say that death penalty is justified because of the belief that the person has done something to 'deserve' it whereas an abortion isn't as they have done nothing to 'deserve' it.

Not saying these are my views personally, just that I can understand why people who think that way do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)