• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chances of a late round offer (1 Viewer)

danielau

HSC
Hi,

In the main round offer I was offered to study UTS Science. However, long story short I have decided against doing science and really want to purse another degree. The degree is a social research and policy at UNSW that had a MAIN ROUND CUT OFF of 75.00. Does that mean to be considered for the LATE ROUND that you need 75.00 or does that mean the lowest atar offered during the main round was 75.00? Anyways, it still has vacancies and the question I want to ask is WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF BEING OFFERED A POSITION IN THE LATE ROUND? I am 0.6 atar above, listed it as my first preference, still has vacancies and also because the atar is a lower atar requirement I would think the popularity is low and the atar wouldnt rise in the late round? Am i correct in assuming this? Last year, this course had a 0.35 rise. Also, are you allowed to apply for courses without (V)? Because, the late round offers change even tho they said theres no vacancies which i suspect they still offer courses even without a (v). thanks

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in a similar situation for a course, I spoke to the uni and this is what they told me: "the atar requirement for the main round is the average atar of all the students currently enrolled in the course". So if the atar requirement for Social Research and Policy was 75 during the main round, this means that the avg atar of all students who got an offer in that course was 75. If the course still has vacancies, I believe that you have a good shot at it, considering that you are above the atar threshold and that its listed as your 1st preference. Atars for course requirements can increase and decrease during the late round, i.e if 10 best ppl with atars >85 withdraw from Social Research and Policy, then the uni would replace em with other 10 best ppl meeting the atar requirement and these new best candidates may nt have atars >85, but rather >75. Consequently, the avg atar of all the candidates would decrease slightly, hence the atar requirement. Atar increase in the late round depends on the popularity of the course. Yes you are allowed to apply for courses without vacancies (V). As said before, ppl might withdraw or reject their early offer in the main round and thus opening new places for ppl like us in the late round. But entry is nt guranteed in the late round even if you meet the atar requirement as newly opened-up vacancies might be limited and only the ppl with the highest atars will get in to fill those spots.

danielau

HSC
I was in a similar situation for a course, I spoke to the uni and this is what they told me: "the atar requirement for the main round is the average atar of all the students currently enrolled in the course". So if the atar requirement for Social Research and Policy was 75 during the main round, this means that the avg atar of all students who got an offer in that course was 75. If the course still has vacancies, I believe that you have a good shot at it, considering that you are above the atar threshold and that its listed as your 1st preference. Atars for course requirements can increase and decrease during the late round, i.e if 10 best ppl with atars >85 withdraw from Social Research and Policy, then the uni would replace em with other 10 best ppl meeting the atar requirement and these new best candidates may nt have atars >85, but rather >75. Consequently, the avg atar of all the candidates would decrease slightly, hence the atar requirement. Atar increase in the late round depends on the popularity of the course. Yes you are allowed to apply for courses without vacancies (V). As said before, ppl might withdraw or reject their early offer in the main round and thus opening new places for ppl like us in the late round. But entry is nt guranteed in the late round even if you meet the atar requirement as newly opened-up vacancies might be limited and only the ppl with the highest atars will get in to fill those spots.
Hopefully I do get in :s Last years cut off increased 0.35 from the main round to the late round. Hopefully that difference is mirrored this year... fingers crossed. I have asked other forums and most of them say I have not a chance with out a reason which made me so worried. I really want to get in to this course and not do the science >.<;

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
dw bro, you have a strong chance :)
Have faith and everything may work out in the end, if nt you can always transfer during 2nd year!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
May I ask, why did you pick science in the 1st place?

danielau

HSC
At the time I had an intention to do science - maybe major in biology. This was a couple of months before the last day to change preferences. And then... after the main round offers came out I did some more research and I happened to find social research which seemed really interesting. I really regret not looking at this course before hand! The amount of courses were overwhelming and I basically didnt look into half of them :p Oh I also want to ask, you know how you said the cut off is the average. That means some were accepeted under the 75 mark ?:O

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, wht I dnt get is the reason why I missed pharmacy by 0.25 off the 90.05 cut-off, but m glad I didn't get in. Depending on the course and its demand, the cut-off average may vary. i.e lets say there were only 100 spots for pharmacy at usyd and 2000 ppl applied, most of the candidates in the 2000 group may havehad very similar/same atars, hence 10 ppl might have gotten an atar of 90.05, some 90 and some 90.10 etc. So the atar requirement really depends on the demand of the course. Also, I heard some ppl getting into UTS business with an atar of 78, where as the atar requirement for main round was 91. So it really depends on demand, and the uni would try and fill up as many spots in the main round.

danielau

HSC
Yes, wht I dnt get is the reason why I missed pharmacy by 0.25 off the 90.05 cut-off, but m glad I didn't get in. Depending on the course and its demand, the cut-off average may vary. i.e lets say there were only 100 spots for pharmacy at usyd and 2000 ppl applied, most of the candidates in the 2000 group may havehad very similar/same atars, hence 10 ppl might have gotten an atar of 90.05, some 90 and some 90.10 etc. So the atar requirement really depends on the demand of the course. Also, I heard some ppl getting into UTS business with an atar of 78, where as the atar requirement for main round was 91. So it really depends on demand, and the uni would try and fill up as many spots in the main round.
what! thats crazy... uts let someone in with 78 and the cut off was 91...? you were under by 0.25 they should of let you in! glad you're happy you didnt get in tho haha. hopefully they "fill" the remaining social spots with me XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)