• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Changing to pharamcy, queries (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I'm currently 2nd year Med science at UNSW with a 81 WAM (D average), but really don't see myself going anywhere with the degree.
I'm a pharamacology major and really enjoy pharmacology / physiology and so am seriously considering changing to pharmacy at Usyd.
If I were to change at the end of this year, would it be a start from scratch? If so I'll almost certainly just finish my Bsc Med sci degree and do thie post grad- masters of pharamacy degree.
It says this is finishable within a minimun of 2 years, would this involve overloading most semesters though?

deadbeat

HSC
is the post grad masters a full paying fee??? somthing to consider if so.

HSC
Tim035 said:
I'm currently 2nd year Med science at UNSW with a 81 WAM (D average), but really don't see myself going anywhere with the degree.
I'm a pharamacology major and really enjoy pharmacology / physiology and so am seriously considering changing to pharmacy at Usyd.
If I were to change at the end of this year, would it be a start from scratch? If so I'll almost certainly just finish my Bsc Med sci degree and do thie post grad- masters of pharamacy degree.
It says this is finishable within a minimun of 2 years, would this involve overloading most semesters though?
I've heard that you can't actually change at the end of semester but you'll have to contact the authorities on that one. I think that it's cos you do 2 pharmacy subjects. But you'll probably get exemptions for Chemistry and Bio if you have to wait till next year.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You do not need to start from scratch because some of the subjects you have studied at UNSW may exempt you from doing similar subjects at Usyd. However, a friend of mine who chas ompleted a BMedSc degree and is currently doing Pharmacy at Usy. It will still take him 4 years to complete Pharmacy because he still had to complete first year pharmacy subjects even though he got exemptions for all other subjects. Since first year pharmacy subjects are prereq for second year, he couldn't take it 1st and 2nd year concurrently and had to do 2 subjects per semester in first year. So in the end it works out a 4 year degree anyway.

lala2

Banned
HSC
What they mean by the MPharm being finishable in 2 years is assuming you've covered all the prereqs, but no there is no overloading. Bear in mind it is full fee paying, so it's definitely not cheap. Apparently they have it easier than us--only three subjects a sem compared to four but it really is all year around--they have clinical placements during uni holidays so that's why it's finishable in 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)