• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chem Assignment input? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So basically, I have a chem assignment but it's not a traditional assignment in the sense you write it and then it gets marked. It's an assignment but the assignment is making a set of notes you get handed back to you in an exam to use to answer the questions.

Anyway, I can only have one page of backed notes to cover three dotpoints. Two of the dotpoints are cool because they were relatively little ones to cover about ethanol etc. But the third one is very hard to write short notes on! It's on biopolymers and I'm having a whole conflict of what is the most important things to put on about my named biopolymer. Do you think its sufficient to have a brief production process, brief properties/use and brief evaluation? Are there any indepth diagrams or equations they'd expect you to know for the biopolymer? I just can't think of anything they could ask you to draw. Anything overly chemistry really on it that's not quite general. I know equations for ethanol and that, but can't see needing any for biopolymers?

I've never done one of these assignments-but-really-a-test things before, so it's all very weird for me. Just paranoid of not writing helpful notes for whatever ends up on the test paper you know.

Coookies

HSC
My school has these tests and they're not too bad, it's pretty much an open-book test. They're called "assessments" for us so yeah its a little confusing to be having a test. If theres no limit of how much you can write, just write everything and have like subheadings for each little thing to make it easier to find when answering a question.

nightweaver066

HSC
Maybe have some structural formulas as to how the monomer and polymer is formed?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's a massive space limit of a page though, it makes it hard. I could easily do an eight page assignment on the polymer alone!

I hope the questions aren't super hard, really wish my school had familiarized us with this sort of assessment before it was Yr 12 and worth a decent weighting. Do you think they'll ask any general questions like the difference between addition and condensation polymerisation or will it be more like what monomer makes your biopolymer, what type of polymerisation makes your biopolymer etc. ?

Coookies

HSC
I doubt they would ask for differences. Maybe something like what properties make [polymer] rigid[or whatever] and relate this to its structure. Or maybe even harder than that

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Arrr there's so many questions they could ask! I didn't even think beyond just naming properties and thinking a use and they could ask about what makes the polymer rigid etc.

Oh well, if I keep reading up on them even if I can't fit lots on the sheet, I'll be able to remember some additional things also.

Alkanes

HSC
Lol i don't know how you can possibly fail this exam :p

Goodluck!

Coookies

HSC
I guess you can write dot points and expand on them in the exam if you know it well enough.
Also just curious, what are you guys up to in class? Because polymers is way behind, my first assessment task is on the batteries

thisiswar

HSC
My advice, write a separate set of notes (as detailed and long as you want) that will cover everything then condense it into dot points. When you're studying, study the detailed notes and make sure you know EVERYTHING in ur notes. A lot of pplz are caught out in this sort of assessment tasks coz they think they have the info there in front of them and don't study much. You shouldnt have to even refer to ur notes during the test unless u get desperate. Treat it like a normal exam without notes.

Believe me I've made the mistake twice. It really hurts ur marks coz open book tests r worth quite a lot... And it'll be good for when u study for the trials coz the info will be there in ur head already.

rsagar

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically, I have a chem assignment but it's not a traditional assignment in the sense you write it and then it gets marked. It's an assignment but the assignment is making a set of notes you get handed back to you in an exam to use to answer the questions.

Anyway, I can only have one page of backed notes to cover three dotpoints. Two of the dotpoints are cool because they were relatively little ones to cover about ethanol etc. But the third one is very hard to write short notes on! It's on biopolymers and I'm having a whole conflict of what is the most important things to put on about my named biopolymer. Do you think its sufficient to have a brief production process, brief properties/use and brief evaluation? Are there any indepth diagrams or equations they'd expect you to know for the biopolymer? I just can't think of anything they could ask you to draw. Anything overly chemistry really on it that's not quite general. I know equations for ethanol and that, but can't see needing any for biopolymers?

I've never done one of these assignments-but-really-a-test things before, so it's all very weird for me. Just paranoid of not writing helpful notes for whatever ends up on the test paper you know.
I'm doing the same exam tomorrow, where you have to memorise information about petrochemicals and cellulose (as first two dotpoints)...
then the whole fat section about polymers and referencing to PHA and PHB etc...

What i did was find answers to the syllabus dot points... copy paste (yes i know, plagiarism)
then in your own words... make simple dotpoints under each subheading easy enough for you to visualise and remember...
then during the exam... just elaborate...

Alkanes

HSC
I'm doing the same exam tomorrow, where you have to memorise information about petrochemicals and cellulose (as first two dotpoints)...
then the whole fat section about polymers and referencing to PHA and PHB etc...

What i did was find answers to the syllabus dot points... copy paste (yes i know, plagiarism)
then in your own words... make simple dotpoints under each subheading easy enough for you to visualise and remember...
then during the exam... just elaborate...
More like regurgitate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)