• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

circular motion prac (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi

i really need help on this prac. can ne one help me to answer the questions on page 54 of Jacaranda.

it's not a dotpoint dunno why r teacher forced us to do it

what r the sources of error in this experiment?

ne help is aprreciated

helpppp

slip

HSC
i dont have the book and therefore cant qutie remember the prac

but sources of error, you cant make sure it is swung at the same speed each time.

your timing will have error in it, this is why you record a time for 20 rotations no 5, spreads the timing error over greater rotations therefore decreasing the total error when averaged.

you repeated several times, elminating discrepencies, shows the method with reliable.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hmm.... it would be useful to know the prac =)
but in general.

error sources can either be equipment-based or human-based.

equipment-based error includes friction - your surfaces are not frictionless and hence some energy will be lost. air resistance also falls into this category. this is the main equipment-based error; there are others, but they're not particularly significant: e.g. non-ideal objects (ie your string has a mass, it probably has some elasticity.) and also dodgy equipment (your ruler can only measure to a certain accuracy).

human-based error is much more significant in terms of contribution to total error. reaction time parallex error (viewing the objects when parallel - how do u judge this?) are the two big ones. you can reduce certain human errors by using repetition or multiple measurements and taking averages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)