• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Civil vs other engineerin courses. (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
Hi, there....

for those who are doing civil.. what made you pick this instead of the others...

Im considerin doing it.. i have nothin to hold me back.. but where would you do it at also.. im thinkin of either UTS or UNSW...

worse case would be at UWS xD

thank you. xD

Petey9

HSC
N/A
I want to do Mechanical Engineering At either UNSW or Usyd (but id prefer it to get into UNSW) i am doing this even if my UAI lies 10 higher than the cut-off, it is just for my love of cars and mechanics.

I sugest you pick the one in which you are most knowledgeable and interested. For instance, in the future if you do not like what you are doing, you have no one to blame but your self for choosing the wrong course.

I would go for UNSW (just because its better known for Engineering)

Thanks,
Good Luck!

jannny

HSC
I like the idea of being part of building something, as well as my liking for maths and physics.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
family already in the construction industry...natural choice i guess.

doink

Clone
HSC
Petey9 said:
quote]

You are an idiot, engineering is the same everywhere and the "better known" is just a stupid concept that UNSW spreads around so that they get more applicants.

engineering is the same thing everywhere you cover the same materials and end up with the same qualifications and your employers don't care where you came from. Just go to the university that you are closest to or that you like the most.

Now Onto the main question. Civil engineering is for people who like to be in large projects making big things, projects usually take a long time to complete and cost alot of money due to their nature.

Good prospects/money as with all engineering disciplines, just pick the one you can see yourself doing for the next 20-30 years. If you have a passion for something you will find there is an engineering discipline that involves it.

jannny

HSC
I was talking to my friend who is graduating as a lawyer this year, and he says that engineers really do get great hours as well as get paid heaps.

One of his friend got 90k in his 2nd year working in a firm, and another earnign 70k. They didnt get high marks, just credits and mostly passes as well.

Pretty awesome ei, sounds too good to be true?

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
im abit concerned with the hours engineers put in especially in the private sector.

a friend of mine works from 8 am till 6 pm Monday to Friday....whereas in the public sector everyone i know is doing 9-5...but money is shit compared to the private sector.

doink

Clone
HSC
so you are concerned about an extra 2 hours per day?

conics2008

HSC
ok fair enough.. I will research more in to civil, i think its more related to arch.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
doink: an extra 2 hours is a lot.

Consider this: you need to go to bed at 11pm to wake up at 7am to get to work at 8am. This leaves you with just 5 hours each day to wind down, have tea, say hi to your wife and kids, and fit in some leisure time.

It's fairly absurd, and a big stress on most people.

doink

Clone
HSC
Slidey said:
doink: an extra 2 hours is a lot.

Consider this: you need to go to bed at 11pm to wake up at 7am to get to work at 8am. This leaves you with just 5 hours each day to wind down, have tea, say hi to your wife and kids, and fit in some leisure time.

It's fairly absurd, and a big stress on most people.
Yes but with the extra money you get you can retire early and have alot more time to wind down.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
doink said:
Yes but with the extra money you get you can retire early and have alot more time to wind down.
highly subjective....i know a project manager who works from 8 am to 6pm...he wakes up fucking 6 o clock...gets home like 7:00 after packing up and that shit...

even though company pays for petrol...they got him a new car....sorta everything.... and he is on 230K +..... its fucking stressful...i rather have 9-5...

KD

HSC
N/A
doink said:
Petey9 said:
quote]

You are an idiot, engineering is the same everywhere

- NOT TRUE

and the "better known" is just a stupid concept that UNSW spreads around so that they get more applicants.

- NOT TRUE

engineering is the same thing everywhere you cover the same materials

- NOT TRUE

and end up with the same qualifications

- ESSENTIALLY TRUE IN THAT YOU CAN BE AN ACCREDITED ENGINEER WITH ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA

and your employers don't care where you came from.

- NOT TRUE

Just go to the university that you are closest to or that you like the most.

- DEFINTITELY SOME OF THE THINGS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER

Now Onto the main question. Civil engineering is for people who like to be in large projects making big things, projects usually take a long time to complete and cost alot of money due to their nature.

- NOT ALL PROJECTS ARE LARGE ALTHOUGH THE ONES PEOPLE NOTICE ARE. YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THE PROJECT MAY NOT BE LONG IF YOU ARE JUST A CONSULTANT. 'A LOT OF MONEY' IS SUBJECTIVE.

Good prospects/money as with all engineering disciplines, just pick the one you can see yourself doing for the next 20-30 years. If you have a passion for something you will find there is an engineering discipline that involves it.

- DEFINITELY AGREE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)