• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

comp science to comp eng (transfering) (1 Viewer)

compower1

has anyone actually transfered from computer science to computer engineering in secound year???
if u have wat are the requriments?
iv heard a lot about it but never met anyone who has actually done it!!!

sunny

meh.
HSC
I haven't done it myself, but look for at least a credit average after first year - also, in your computer science electives, do your best to mimick the computer engineering program in first year so you get can credit for the courses done if you've transferred.

Theres talk of change to the transfer rules - what I've known it to be was that if you're transferring under the same school you only needed school approval - now theres talk of having to go through UAC from some of the academic staff. Check with CSE.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~studentoffice/forms/UG_Transfer.pdf

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Ha Sunny, do you have any forms for transfering into another uni? I was thinking of transfering into Wollongong for B commerce, Assuming there unfilles spots there after semister1, I dont care if the credit points dont carry, and I got the UAI cut off, so wouldnt it be easier for me to transfer? Just curious, cause I heard jobs for computers are at a all time low.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
Ha Sunny, do you have any forms for transfering into another uni? I was thinking of transfering into Wollongong for B commerce, Assuming there unfilles spots there after semister1, I dont care if the credit points dont carry, and I got the UAI cut off, so wouldnt it be easier for me to transfer? Just curious, cause I heard jobs for computers are at a all time low.
I don't know about transferring to other unis - but I would imagine that stuff requires going through UAC, you should check with UOW though, they can probably tell you the proper procedure to transfer into their uni.

Computing jobs were at their all time low more than 2 years ago. This is the common fear and misconception about computing - ever since the dot com crash the IT industry has had a bad name. This wasn't because of the industry, it was because of all the money hungry people making online companies and people investing in them, then people realised these companies didn't actually make anything. Trends in computing have always been up and down since the 60s - but you cannot say there will be a day when we stop using computers and new technology and there won't be a need for IP professionals anymore.

Even if you don't like that and the jobs are low now, whats to say commerce won't take a dump and IT take a high in 4 years when you've finished your degree?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
I don't know about transferring to other unis - but I would imagine that stuff requires going through UAC, you should check with UOW though, they can probably tell you the proper procedure to transfer into their uni.

Computing jobs were at their all time low more than 2 years ago. This is the common fear and misconception about computing - ever since the dot com crash the IT industry has had a bad name. This wasn't because of the industry, it was because of all the money hungry people making online companies and people investing in them, then people realised these companies didn't actually make anything. Trends in computing have always been up and down since the 60s - but you cannot say there will be a day when we stop using computers and new technology and there won't be a need for IP professionals anymore.

Even if you don't like that and the jobs are low now, whats to say commerce won't take a dump and IT take a high in 4 years when you've finished your degree?
Damn, its a bit too late now but I was planning to goto Asia and set up a dot com scam to scam credit card number on the net, seems like this theres a common trend in hacking and creating cunterfit websites to rip off credit cards and banking assets, Theres lots of money involved and depending in the country your in there might not be and laws agaist it but you do have to move from places to places in order not to get cought by international agants. Man theres also internet pryamid sceams thats happening now so theres still hope in the IT industry, I was gonna goin AMWAY when I turned 18 but was crushed that it was shut down :( ,when I was 12 I went to lots of AMWAY lectures saying how easy it is to make money that way. :mad1: Guess all good things come to an end.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Commerce is pretty stable Sunny... everybody needs an accountant :p

And you were right, to transfer to another uni you apply through UAC..

compower1

I haven't done it myself, but look for at least a credit average after first year - also, in your computer science electives, do your best to mimick the computer engineering program in first year so you get can credit for the courses done if you've transferred.

Theres talk of change to the transfer rules - what I've known it to be was that if you're transferring under the same school you only needed school approval - now theres talk of having to go through UAC from some of the academic staff. Check with CSE.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~studentoffice/forms/UG_Transfer.pdf

hey thanx a lot..i saw the site/form.. it kinda cleared up some questions...
but does this mean its possible to transfer half way thru the year?...as in do semester 1 of comp sci...and ask for a transfer to comp eng for semester 2...?? cos i got a uai 87.75 ... and i think i should be able to get over 75 (credit)...in the semester 1 exams. (this year)

and ur doing comp sci ... r u thinking of transfering? if so please keep me up to date on ur transfer....if not y did u choose comp sci to do? as i may be stuck with it... :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
Transferring in mid year is possible but may be harder because sem1 results might not be out yet, and they probably base they're decision on HSC results.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/current/transfers.html

I was 10 marks above the comp sci cut off for last year - and I chose comp sci willingly as my first preference, and I don't plan on transferring from it.

Looking at the CSE degrees, it has the lowest UAI cut off - that doesn't mean its the worst degree. As a matter of fact comp sci is the broadest out of all the CSE degrees - you can come out doing many fields of computing. The other degrees have some sort of direction, like software engineering tends to look at software management, requirements and the development cycle. Comp sci is a free choice program - by 3rd year you'll only have one core subject, and everything will be electives so you can do as much computing or not as you like.

I chose comp sci because its flexible - I can do anything I want in it.

compower1

sorry if u took it the wrong way...i didnt mean that it was the worst degree of anything...its just even after you do four years ... you end up getting a bach of science and you most of the work of an engineering degree.
wat are u planing to major in for comp sci?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by compower1
sorry if u took it the wrong way...i didnt mean that it was the worst degree of anything...its just even after you do four years ... you end up getting a bach of science and you most of the work of an engineering degree.
wat are u planing to major in for comp sci?
hehe...I was just trying to explain the comp sci degree in contrast to the other ones - many people have a misconception that its the easy way out.

I don't plan on majoring in anything either and haven't really thought about it...most of my electives are in infosys or electrical engineering.

If I did a combined major I probably wouldn't have the enthusiasm to do the other half of my degree cause I won't be interested in it :p

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Hahaha last night's movie Antitrust has reminded why I chose Computer science in the first place, but dosnt all courses seem more interesting then it really is? And you said computer science is flexiable, I'm more interested in hardware, can comp science lead to hardware more then its leads to software?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Hahaha last night's movie Antitrust has reminded why I chose Computer science in the first place, but dosnt all courses seem more interesting then it really is? And you said computer science is flexiable, I'm more interested in hardware, can comp science lead to hardware more then its leads to software?
Yes it can - comp eng leans towards the interface between the hardware and software, including the low level electronics behind the hardware, seng works with developing reliable software but also covers hardware, but not to the same length and detail as comp eng. The general misconception is that comp eng is all hardware, and seng is all software. Comp sci can give you a balance of both since you can choose your electives - so maybe in third year, all your electives might be hardware related subjects.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
I did normal maths in both sessions (MATH1131 and MATH1141), Higher Physics (PHYS1131) and Discrete Maths (MATH1081) in session 1, Higher Computing (COMP1711 and COMP1721) in both sessions, Computer Information Systems (INFS1602) and Electrical Engineering (ELEC1011) in session 2.
I did the first year planner and all they had for electives where physics and more physics whlie math and computing were the core subjects, how you manange to get into Computer Information Systems (INFS1602) and Electrical Engineering (ELEC1011) in semister 2??
:rolleyes: Man I think I'm really not doing the thing right at all. So I have to do pyhsics first semister and then for semister 2 I can do something else? Is the first yr palnner just for Computer science or for lots of other courses?
:mad: Why is UNSW so confusing, I'd rather wait in the cue for 4 hours and actaully talk to a real person.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I did the first year planner and all they had for electives where physics and more physics whlie math and computing were the core subjects, how you manange to get into Computer Information Systems (INFS1602) and Electrical Engineering (ELEC1011) in semister 2??
:rolleyes: Man I think I'm really not doing the thing right at all. So I have to do pyhsics first semister and then for semister 2 I can do something else? Is the first yr palnner just for Computer science or for lots of other courses?
:mad: Why is UNSW so confusing, I'd rather wait in the cue for 4 hours and actaully talk to a real person.
COLA probably suggested physics because you did physics in the HSC - you do not have to follow COLA's advice. At the end of semester 1, before semester 2, theres another enrolment period where you can change your enrolment for session 2.

You do not HAVE to do physics in semester 1. The only subjects you HAVE to do in semester 1 is MATH1A, COMP1A, and discrete if you choose to. Then in semester 2 the only subjects you HAVE to do are COMP1B, MATH1B and discrete if you didn't do it in semester 1.

All the remaining subjects are up to you to pick. So in semester 1, I picked higher physics 1A (and did discrete as well). At the end of semester 1 I felt I didn't like physics - so during the break between sem1 and sem2, I changed what I had previously enrolled as higher physics 1B to ELEC1011, and for my other elective, I chose INFS1602.

J0n

N/A
HSC
compower1, can i ask what is the reason you want to transfer from Comp sci to Comp eng??

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
COLA probably suggested physics because you did physics in the HSC - you do not have to follow COLA's advice. At the end of semester 1, before semester 2, theres another enrolment period where you can change your enrolment for session 2.

You do not HAVE to do physics in semester 1. The only subjects you HAVE to do in semester 1 is MATH1A, COMP1A, and discrete if you choose to. Then in semester 2 the only subjects you HAVE to do are COMP1B, MATH1B and discrete if you didn't do it in semester 1.

All the remaining subjects are up to you to pick. So in semester 1, I picked higher physics 1A (and did discrete as well). At the end of semester 1 I felt I didn't like physics - so during the break between sem1 and sem2, I changed what I had previously enrolled as higher physics 1B to ELEC1011, and for my other elective, I chose INFS1602.
I'm starting understand it a bit more now , thank just wanted to know what you did in high school and what did you get? Man I though I killed physics in the HSC and I still cant hack it not couting to my UAI (got low band 4), anyways whats the core and elective in year 2 of computer science?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
And under your interests you have VB ,C++ and Java, isnt there more interests that you have to have then programming, I find programming so long and boring, but i've never had anyone teach me anything and had to do averything by reading volumes of books and lots of guess work.

sunny

meh.
HSC
And under your interests you have VB ,C++ and Java, isnt there more interests that you have to have then programming, I find programming so long and boring, but i've never had anyone teach me anything and had to do averything by reading volumes of books and lots of guess work.
haha...I'm not a computer nerd that sits there and codes all day. Outside of studies I'm in the uni volleybal rep team, and I go bike riding too. In studies I was interested in electronics before computing, but that never took off as far as computing did - thats why I do electrical engineer as my elective. Sometimes people might not like programming because the way it starts off or they've never done anything interesting with it - this might change with some of the assignments you do - in first year we did a handwriting recognition program in C.

I'm starting understand it a bit more now , thank just wanted to know what you did in high school and what did you get? Man I though I killed physics in the HSC and I still cant hack it not couting to my UAI (got low band 4), anyways whats the core and elective in year 2 of computer science?
In high school I did 3 maths (b5), 3 english (b6), sdd (b5, missed 6 by 2), physics (b5, missed 6 by 2), and chem (b4) and 95.7 in the end.

In second year computer science there are only 4 core computing subjects:
- (higher) data organisation (sem1)
- software construction (sem2)
- ethics for computer science (sem2)
- digital system structures (sem1)
- two gen eds

All other subjects are electives - this may be continuations of your subjects from first year electives.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Hey sunny, since you got a UAI of 95.7, you probably could have done comp eng or soft eng, so what made you pick comp sci??

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes I could have :)

But I wans't particularly interested by either of them - comp eng I considered, the degree is good but I wasn't very very interested in the low level electronics that would be involved, nor was I interested in studying the software development process again in software eng (people at unsw call seng the paper work subject - because theres alot more of documentation and managment work). Comp sci was the logical choice - I had no particular field of computing I was aiming for yet - and comp sci lets me make my mind as I study more and find out for myself what I'm most interested it.

Some of these third year electives are very tempting...
# COMP3231: Operating Systems
# COMP3311: Database Systems
# COMP3331: Computer Networks and Applications
# COMP3411: Artificial Intelligence
# COMP3421: Computer Graphics
# COMP3441: Cryptography

I'm doing databases second semester this year; free electives are good :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)