• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

comp science to comp eng (transfering) (1 Viewer)

J0n

N/A
HSC
How many of those electives can you choose?? Only one??

sunny

meh.
HSC
By semester 2 this year I can do the majority of the 3rd year electives because I've done the pre-req in semester 1.

Between semester 2 this year and the end of third year I'll have 8 electives - thats 8 free choices out of a total of 12 subjects = 2/3 will be electives!

That list was a just a small selection I was considering, here is the full listing

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/courses/csecourses/

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
Cool, what subject was that?
Higher Comp 1B (COMP1721).

Basically we were given 'images' of numbers in the form of a 2D array - some were very simple, with the 4 digits well written and separated out - others very very difficult with numbers overlapping and joined together - just that assignment alone was very interesting to do. You can compare it to the mail sorting the post office use on their envelopes that read the hand written postcode...except harder!

Our second assignment for COMP1721 was writing a C program that compiled C code into MIPS assembly.

asdf

HSC
Cool. I really hope i'm alowed to do higher computing for computer enginering.

compower1

compower1, can i ask what is the reason you want to transfer from Comp sci to Comp eng??

i prefer to get a bach of engineering degree , and i like both hardware and software, so yeah comp eng is wat suits me.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
ON the first yr planner, for electives, theres lots of science, commerce and humanities courses for Computer science, why are they offered as elective when your doing computer science? what have they got to do with the course and are you at a disadavantage if you choose commmerce and humanities electives?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
ON the first yr planner, for electives, theres lots of science, commerce and humanities courses for Computer science, why are they offered as elective when your doing computer science? what have they got to do with the course and are you at a disadavantage if you choose commmerce and humanities electives?
Because they are electives - they don't have to be relevent to the program (comp eng and seng call these 'free electives'; electives that they don't have to pick from the computing field).

Another reason is that just entering first year, you are assumed you won't know enough to be doing anymore comp subjects.

There is no disadvantage - but you just have to be prepared to continue studies in that field for some of your second year electives while you are still studying the pre-reqs for the third year comp electives. There might be advantages sometimes when the subjects' contents overlap, but this isn't a big thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)