• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

confused. need help! what to do in life???? (1 Viewer)

ben150891

HSC
hey i am going to uni next year and im completely lost as what to do. please help and give me some advice or suggestions. I don't know what to do.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
hey i am going to uni next year and im completely lost as what to do. please help and give me some advice or suggestions. I don't know what to do.

enjoy your holiday, and when you start uni, they will tell you everything.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
1. Looking over ur subjects and think of what u really like is a good start. For example, I LOVE maths and I HATE English (primarily the literature aspect)

2. Looking over what u like doing. For example, I LOVE solving stuff - chess, puzzle and I don't really like reading.

3. Picture urself in future....are u working outside or inside? or perhaps are u travelling alot? are u office person? how much income do u like? do u like working alone or with others? do u want to become a business owner or of some sort? For example, I am more of an "office person" but I like interacting with people - communicating my ideas and sharing knowledge and etc.

4. MONEY/job condition...whether you like it or not, u work to earn money. Don't say u don't work for money, EVERYONE DOES. If you are a person who is divided between two jobs - choose the job with better condition and pay (and that's a common sense).

So...for example, considering all that, I want to become an actuary or some finance manager by undertaking actuarial studies. I believe that it will be highly math-orientated which explores great deals of applied maths such as probabiltiy, stats and calculus - which will be FUN compared to other shits like mechanics or projectile motion which i HATE.

Actuary is ideal for me because I believe that u get to interact with people allot esp. explaining complex financial/insurnace models to non-actuaries like stochaistic model. Besides job opportunities are broad and pay is great. For someone like me who wishes to work in investment bank, stock market...it's an IDEAL job. And also, for someone who wishes to pursue fields property investment, commodities, mutual funds, stocks and etc. actuarial studies also works out well.

However, the bottom line is...consider all 4 factors that i put above - there should be WAY MORE. But no one really expects u to choose what u want to become for the rest of ur life. everyone changes their mind but it's always good to choose ur ideal course from the beginning to reduce confusion in later stage of ur life.

Monsterman

HSC
you dont really need to do anything.. just wait til the uni offers come out

chefman21

HSC
N/A
1. Looking over ur subjects and think of what u really like is a good start. For example, I LOVE maths and I HATE English (primarily the literature aspect)

2. Looking over what u like doing. For example, I LOVE solving stuff - chess, puzzle and I don't really like reading.

3. Picture urself in future....are u working outside or inside? or perhaps are u travelling alot? are u office person? how much income do u like? do u like working alone or with others? do u want to become a business owner or of some sort? For example, I am more of an "office person" but I like interacting with people - communicating my ideas and sharing knowledge and etc.

4. MONEY/job condition...whether you like it or not, u work to earn money. Don't say u don't work for money, EVERYONE DOES. If you are a person who is divided between two jobs - choose the job with better condition and pay (and that's a common sense).

So...for example, considering all that, I want to become an actuary or some finance manager by undertaking actuarial studies. I believe that it will be highly math-orientated which explores great deals of applied maths such as probabiltiy, stats and calculus - which will be FUN compared to other shits like mechanics or projectile motion which i HATE.

Actuary is ideal for me because I believe that u get to interact with people allot esp. explaining complex financial/insurnace models to non-actuaries like stochaistic model. Besides job opportunities are broad and pay is great. For someone like me who wishes to work in investment bank, stock market...it's an IDEAL job. And also, for someone who wishes to pursue fields property investment, commodities, mutual funds, stocks and etc. actuarial studies also works out well.

However, the bottom line is...consider all 4 factors that i put above - there should be WAY MORE. But no one really expects u to choose what u want to become for the rest of ur life. everyone changes their mind but it's always good to choose ur ideal course from the beginning to reduce confusion in later stage of ur life.
Great post. That third post is the most important. Break it down basically. Find the chalk and cheese e.g inside or outside, technical/science based or arts based etc etc. Then start looking at industries/jobs that cover most if not all the things you picked. Take a look at job prospects, look up what its like to do that job or work in that industry, have a look at career paths in that job and industry as well. Can you travel the world with it? That's always a bonus!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)