• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

could somebody plez help me out (1 Viewer)

lil_o_gal

hullo,...i'm a new user and reckon that this site is great,...ummm,..i've got a question in my assignment that goes like this,.."explain how britain and germany attempted to increase their material and military strength in the period between 1914 and 1918"... i'm a bit :confused: any help would be highly appreciated,...thank you,..

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
um ok all this should be covered in your text book! but here goes neway...

brit and G increased their military and material strength by enlisting the help of the home front and employing women in munitions factories and stuff like that. basically what ur teach is trying to get u 2 do is demonstrate that ww1 was a 'total war' that not involved the soldiers fighting on the front line but the ppl at home as well. so yeh they increased their strength by increasing the manufacturing of weapons and materials. mayb it also wants u 2 talk about the new weapons they used in ww1 like the tank and the all important machine gun. hope this helps a little, although i doubt it would

lil_o_gal

thank u,..

thank u so much:wave: ,..it was indeed of a much help to me,..well at least i've got some idea now,..
never knew of this site before,..its really helpful,..specially for people like me who are constantly gettin lost,..:uhhuh: ,..thanks a lot again,..;)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Make sure you mention the naval race between germany and britain.... germany tried to build up their navy in order to challenge britain's traditional naval dominance.

lil_o_gal

oh thanks heaps,..ummm,.. and how long do u think i should write for a question that carries 10 mark.

sugared plum

HSC
well, because it's an 'explain' question, you will NEED quite a lot of words. you have to describe all the things that both Br and G did (separately, because htey both did different things) and then talk about how that would have increased their material & military strength in both issues, separately. so you should have 4 columns of points to raise.

to give you a start, there are all things like
DORA,
conscription
rations
gov't spending
factories
propaganda dep'ts
newspaper censorship

really, it's everything that happened in the war to make it good. just make sure you differentiate everything into the columns, - germany mlitary, germany material, britain military, britain material.

look at the bos definitions of explain - it's show cause and effect? or something, make sure you do that. so talk about the results of each country's effects

Ziff

HSC
N/A
"explain how britain and germany attempted to increase their material and military strength in the period between 1914 and 1918"

Yeah, you'll wanna talk about all that Sugared Plum mentioned. Basically, I think it's asking you about total war and how the entire nation was mobilised to meet the war-effort.

You'll also want to talk about women in the war, this is an important one because most of the men were sent off to fight... Besides that your have DORA and the Military Services Act as well as the equivilent laws that the Germans made.

It really is a very broad question though, personally I'd wack some unrestricted U-boat action in there as well because well it's interesting and relevant :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)