• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cult or Religion: Scientology (1 Viewer)

origami hero

HSC
sooo scientology was written by this science fiction author and is all about how some alien guy put the idea of heaven into our heads and how psychiatrists should all be killed? Oh and somewhere i heard that when you reach level 50 you get to weild a laser sword. Seriously, it was written by a science fiction author WHO IS STILL ALIVE! it has no history! I am really ashamed to say that i am of the same species as people who believe this stuff. its called fiction for a reason.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
origami hero said:
sooo scientology was written by this science fiction author and is all about how some alien guy put the idea of heaven into our heads and how psychiatrists should all be killed? Oh and somewhere i heard that when you reach level 50 you get to weild a laser sword. Seriously, it was written by a science fiction author WHO IS STILL ALIVE! it has no history! I am really ashamed to say that i am of the same species as people who believe this stuff. its called fiction for a reason.
L. Ron Hubbard died over 20 years ago.

Atilla89

HSC
What I found really funny was at the end of the report, the woman had to say that the Church had launched a 'counter' documentary of that documentary and that random comic book galaxy hero character was made up! That definitly brought a simle to my face. It just shows how ridiculous it is. Probably one of the best money making schemes around. Although I would really like to interview a scientologist both for information and just for laughs although I would take it seriously (this is an offer for any scientologists around, where ever you are...)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Odette1990 said:
Ok ok well im speaking generally a society is more likely to accept a religion than a cult, as a cult is a little more extreme. As for structure they dont really have the proper heirarhcy they have a leader and followers yet also i mean as in they dont really have anything written down, no rules or anything like that, thats what structures a tradition its social structure, statement of beliefs, codes of conduct etc. Scientology is seen as a cult but in fact is a religion, because it meets all the requirements of a religion.
I thought that scientology does have rules, e.g. regarding psychiatric treatment and childbirth.

TwoNiner said:
If they can't accept that there are other viewpoints in existence contrary to their own, than they are definitely not a religion.
Need a religion recognise other views as existent or valid?

origami hero

HSC
lol i feel so stupid
but hey, he only died 20 years ago. its not as if scientology has been around for hundreds of years or anything.

kay90

HSC
7th Sign said:
seems liek a money making scheme to me lol:

look at their member ships list -

a) 6 month begiining membership - free
b) Annual membership - 300 US $
c) Lifetime membership - 2,000 US $
d) Sponsor - 5,000 US $
e) Crusader (New!) - 10,000 US $
f) Honor Roll - 20,000 US $ or 20 new members for the IAS recruited
g) Patron - 40,000 US $
h) Patron with Honors - 100,000 US $
i) Patron Meritorious - 250,000 US $
j) Gold Patron Meritorious - 1,000,000 US $
k) Senior Honor Roll - 100 new members for the IAS recruited or "contributed to IAS expansion in some stellar fashion".
i agree, its a money making scheme.
no wonder why majority are celebs - they actually HAVE the money to be in it.

that's absolutely ridiculous.
theres a membership fee and they consider it a religion?
geez, theyve really lost their minds.

i watched the program tonight, and that american guy REALLY REALLY annoyed the hell out of me. he was so arrogant and such a pain in the ass.

:burn:

oh and in my opinion, it's a cult.
hands down.

Atilla89

HSC
jb_nc said:
don't comment w/o watching this: http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/ and then this http://theunfunnysequel.ytmnd.com/

basically sums up what Scientology is: a dangerous cult responsible for the deaths of many people
I watched them. They FREAKED me out! Seriously don't watch it at night. There is no way somebody in their sane mind could call that a religion. Even if those deaths were by accident (which I doubt) the concept of paying continually to keep yourself involved turns me away from it.

X

xeuyrawp

Odette1990 said:
Id have to say a cult is not readily accepted by society, whereas a religion is, thats one difference also the beliefs of a cult are normally regarded as extreme or false; a religion is different to that, a religion is more a way of life and the beliefs tend to be accepted by society. One other thing is a cult lacks structure and a religion has structure

Does that make sense to you?
I would say the difference between a religion and cult would be, generally:

1. Age. A religion is generally more established. Many cults, especially 4.a), tend to be newer,
2. Size. Cults are generally small,
3. Isolation. Cults tend to, either by design or incident, isolate people from society both physically and emotionally/intellectually/spritually,
4. Ideology. Cults tend to have an ideology more focused on either a) worshipping someone (a personality cult), or b) worshipping something through someone (cult with a teacher),
5. A very rigid structure. Cults generally maintain control, either by design or incident, through a rigid structure of everything. The organisation will usually have a massive hierachy, the daily lives of the individuals will usually be orderd, etc.

Like any other religion, scientology can be a cult. For example, monastic Christian monks are undoubtedly part of a cult, despite some of them belonging to 2000 year old churches. Yet many Christians are not part of a cult because they do let Christianity dominate their lives as much as monks.

I think most scientologists are part of a religion. A few, the ones who are basically monks (don't remember the term) are part of a cult.

Cyan_phoeniX said:
yeah, the cult and religion distinction is pretty unclear. The only thing I can think of is how it is viewed by society. If its viewed as 'wacky' then its a cult. Maybe if it has no political power than it is a cult? Either way, Scientology is one weird and wacky organisation. TT says its banned in Victoria :/
I don't think so. You should be able to identify a social entity based on things outside of what people say. Society view cults as 'whacky' becuase of the things I mentioned above, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

miss-smexy

HSC
i watched it! Hmm it was so weird. did any one get down the website that the scientology org. put up, i.e. a counter-attack on that documentary?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)