• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

deathcore...what you think about it? (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ive only listened to the first 2 songs, maybe i'll listen to the rest some day.

maybe i'll download sonic firestorm one day.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Inhuman Rampage is probably the more technical of the two. However Sonic Firestorm has the better songwriting. It's generally more melodic, and more memorable.

meeatu

HSC
Deathcore can be done well.
Despite the fact that millions and millions of deathcore bands DON'T do it well...
And still make shitloads of money >__<

But yeah, grab some deathcore, break it's boring bits up with some tech death, throw in some grind drumming and rhythms (as apposed to the annoying trend that has come up now which is to just highhat the quater notes, crash the first, and pedal roll as fast as u can between them - That shit is boring as fuck!) and mix in a little hardcore/punk into it, and hey presto! Deathcore becomes decent music again!

And a few bands have mannagd to pull it off :]

meeatu

HSC
As for the melody argument, while it's nice at times, I've always been a rhythm man. Even before I started listening to Metal, it was post-rock, atonal jazz and 20th century classical all the way. I get bored when bands are too melodic, cause they tend to stick to a scale or a chord progression and keep using it over and over untill it is tired and dead lol.

Though I do love a melodic band that knows how to jump around scales and chords all willy nilly :p

duckcowhybrid

HSC
tbh i dont really care much about speed or technicality. I mean... it can be awesome (eg Nile and behemoth's drummer and their guitar solo's), but i mainly go for the music.

Nile have some of the weirdest songs, like.. i dont get their beat/time signature/whatever, and some songs are really slow, yet the double bass is going faster than ever, but i still like them lots (also it's the first death metal i heard).

Regular death metal bands like cannibal corpse are boring to me, musically they do nothing but bland riffs.
Other bands, like behemoth, god dethroned, actually have some form of tune that i can get stuck in my head, or hum or whistle along to, and this is especially the case with any melodic dm band, which is probably why mdm is my favourite subgenre.

Insomnium dont play particularly fast or technically, but i really love their music (and they're lyrics are fairly amazing too). Same with Nightrage. And Amon Amarth (though they're much heavier too, which is cool in it's own way).
My favourite Ensiferum songs are Token of Time and Eternal Wait (from their self titled album), they're not particularly fast or technical.

I got a Dragonforce album lately (for that fire and flames song), i find the singing and lyrics lame, but i love the music. First 2 songs on that album are awesome imo.

edit: re: deathcore, i've checked out a few bands, iktpq, black dahlia murder, and i really dont like it, lol.
Ensiferum is ridiculously good, if a little cheesy. Token of Time is a very very good song. I just love hearing acoustic, a beat starting up, tapping my foot to it and BAM FUCK YEAH ELECTRIC GUITAR WANKING AND DRUMS EVERYWHERE FUCK YEAH

Insomnium are also way way up there. I dislike Dragonforce, their lyrics are awful, and they suck live (i.e. they cant play their own songs live). Their music is really really cheesy and it's hard to discount the awful singing, no matter how much wankery there is.

Nile is good, especially Lashed to the Slave Stick, however often I prefer lyrics a bit more decipherable, though I like Nile simply because they are Nile.

In MDM, Dark Tranquility is always good (Character for example is great, ditto Damage Done), and pre-Reroute to Remain In Flames is something to get into (Jester Race and Colony in particular). I like Bodom as well, simply because they make death and reapers and shit sound so happy and cute I just have to like it. You might want to look into Norther, Wintersun and Soilwork. There is some good melodeath there.

Deathcore is just punk and h4rdk0r3 bullshit faggots pretending to be metal but ending up with tired songs with the same recycled riffs time and time again.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ensiferum is ridiculously good, if a little cheesy. Token of Time is a very very good song. I just love hearing acoustic, a beat starting up, tapping my foot to it and BAM FUCK YEAH ELECTRIC GUITAR WANKING AND DRUMS EVERYWHERE FUCK YEAH
Sword chant is my favourite by them, for the reasons you just described. Battle Song also has a great opening.

Arctopus

HSC
tbh i dont really care much about speed or technicality. I mean... it can be awesome, but i mainly go for the music.
Except...like... speed and technicality have a direct effect on the music.

I say if you're looking for a mix of death metal and hardcore, then really you shouldn't be looking any further than grindcore. It's the original and ultimate amalgamation.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNjTXpShg-U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNjTXpShg-U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I think one of the comments says it best; "No makeup, no stylists, no bullshit."

Last edited:

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
some deathcore sucks...such as soundwave yesterday = whitechapel...wtf? and suicide silence...yuck...

but all shall perish
animosity
thy art is murder
as blood runs black

are pretty good...the only thing i really hate is that the bands have really really gay t shirts...for eg.

this is a metalcore band but same difference:
http://www.wish2list.com/img/2009/32/766/200908041408483e05_lg.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)