• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dexter (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All hate is inherently aevil.
Of course you would have great urges to hate, but does that make the subjective emotion right, good? Of course not.

Read up on absolutism. There are greater forces at work in the world - there is something beyond ourselves

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
there's several stories where you find urself supporting a character that would typically be considered a bad-guy in a different light.
There's something thrilling about being on the bad side...which you see as the right side.
I doubt it's worth all this fuss though.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
All hate is inherently aevil.
Of course you would have great urges to hate, but does that make the subjective emotion right, good? Of course not.

Read up on absolutism. There are greater forces at work in the world - there is something beyond ourselves
No, I don't have to read up on anything to know what you just said was absolute garbage.

I never said hate was good, I said, we don't know how to classify it. How can you say hating, which really only means severely disliking, somebody who has caused you extreme pain, and has stolen the most valuable asset from many people (killed your whole family) is evil?

It's in no way evil.

HSC
sam04u said:
No, I don't have to read up on anything to know what you just said was absolute garbage.

I never said hate was good, I said, we don't know how to classify it. How can you say hating, which really only means severely disliking, somebody who has caused you extreme pain, and has stolen the most valuable asset from many people (killed your whole family) is evil?

It's in no way evil.
i'd support that hate is still the wrong path.
forgiveness and pity would be more virtuous.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
i'd support that hate is still the wrong path.
forgiveness and pity would be more virtuous.
Forgiveness and pity would be stupid in such a case.

Scenario: (To point out the lunacy in your statement)

Bob comes home to find his whole family covered in a pool of blood, and notices a man carrying a knife standing on top of them. Since Bob is inherently "good" he forgives the man for what he has done, and pities him. The man apologises, before walking across the street to kill the next family.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sam, mate, it is in every way aevil. Again, youre confusing what is natural or instinctive with what is good. You clearly have the weeds of relativism firmly entwined around your conscience.
Instinct can be wrong, corrupted, clouded, confused. YOu need to move beyond the subjective in order to unravel the good

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
Sam, mate, it is in every way aevil. Again, youre confusing what is natural or instinctive with what is good.
I'm going to challenge that contention. For something to be good what criteria needs to be met? If you agreed with a few of the criteria I stated previously, good =/= always equal the natural or instinctive response. But that isn't to say the natural or instinctive response is inherently evil in the case of hatred. Perhaps you have a different understanding of hatred than I do, for instance, I hate diseases, starvation, torture, injustices. Should I apply your reasoning to these aswell? Is my hatred of these things evil? How can you answer that without making yourself look like a fool?

Hate =/= Evil.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
sam04u said:
I'm going to challenge that contention. For something to be good what criteria needs to be met? If you agreed with a few of the criteria I stated previously, good =/= always equal the natural or instinctive response. But that isn't to say the natural or instinctive response is inherently evil in the case of hatred. Perhaps you have a different understanding of hatred than I do, for instance, I hate diseases, starvation, torture, injustices. Should I apply your reasoning to these aswell? Is my hatred of these things evil? How can you answer that without making yourself look like a fool?

Hate =/= Evil.
Because you dont truely hate these things, you have a built-in love for your fellow man.
Your love for others and desire to see them treated as you yourself are treated leads you to desiring a world without disease, torture etc.

Love=/=hate?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
Because you dont truely hate these things, you have a built-in love for your fellow man.
Your love for others and desire to see them treated as you yourself are treated leads you to desiring a world without disease, torture etc.
As a result of my "love for my fellow man" I hate these things. I truly do hate them, and it's not evil at all is it? Just concede the point.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You are confusing love with hate. The only good expression of your love for fellow man is in deeds that practically eliminate torture etc - NOT brooding in a dark room - that's apathy, slothfulness. If you do nothing but 'hate' these things, maybe the real truth is that you dont love man deep enough to help him?
That's hate.
That's evil.

Enough of this, you lose.

HSC
sam04u said:
Forgiveness and pity would be stupid in such a case.

Scenario: (To point out the lunacy in your statement)

Bob comes home to find his whole family covered in a pool of blood, and notices a man carrying a knife standing on top of them. Since Bob is inherently "good" he forgives the man for what he has done, and pities him. The man apologises, before walking across the street to kill the next family.
that's ridiculous. You and i both know the law is there to deal punishment, not individuals. bob would probably hate him initially, but they would help neither him or the killer.
there is good in everyone.

dexter is tops.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
You are confusing love with hate.
No, Iron. You're just redefining hate to suit your argument in this debate. Hate is severe dislike of something, that's all it means. I'm not confusing love with hate, I don't "have the seeds of relativism deeply entwined" anywhere. It's very simple and you're avoiding it. I severely dislike (Hate) diseases, starvation, injustices and torture. Among other things. And it's not evil.

Enough of this, you lose.
No, my good sir. You lost this long ago, you just don't know it yet.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
that's ridiculous. You and i both know the law is there to deal punishment, not individuals. bob would probably hate him initially, but they would help neither him or the killer.
there is good in everyone.

dexter is tops.
The law punishes people? Surely that's evil. We should forgive and pity them. That's the good thing to do. Also, it's not hate... Bob wouldn't hate the guy, we're confusing hate with his love for his family. Bob doesnt hate the murderer, he just loves his family. (Shall we re-define any other words?)

draliz

HSC
I watched the first two episodes and I found it to be creepy. Thought I would like it, but I didn't. It's funny though how he's in the police force and yet he's commiting crime. You would think they would investigate him at some point.

But that's my own opinion. I liked the use of the voice-over, it's great.

Morbo

HSC
I think that's what should be refered to as irony.

pushkin

HSC
N/A
great show. i'm wondering which direction it would go in season 3? i don't know how long it can last, really.

Donski

HSC
N/A
johnnypaul said:
Dexter is a sikkent.
I so knew that Rudy was the killer, but didn't know that he was Dexter's brother.
no fuckin way! I'm up to "seeing red"

Rita is fuckin annoying. DEXTER BUTCHER THAT BITCH and FUCK YOUR sister, Deb immediately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)