• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do Not Look In Here Unless You Are Ready!!! (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
CrashOveride said:
i think they should mark on that criteria as well...i mean do they? do u lose marks for making a decent number of spelling mistakes or grammatical errors ?

they do,
12 markers mark your eng adv paper and they are all over 40 and appreciate correct grammar
if u have spelling errors and grammatical errors u won;t get full marks

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
although I'd doubt they'd refuse to give you full marks for a few mistakes while being the best damn essay ever for your sustained arguement, links, your knowledge etc. If you're doing it consistantly, it dumbs down your essay anyway.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
our teacher said even if its an unbelievably astonishing essay with everything, as long as it has grammatical or spelling errors, it won;t get full marks. You have to remember its 50 years olds marking it, back then you could not get full marks with spelling mistakes, no one was awarded full marks back then, there was no criteria, it was a general impression mark

Sophie777

If your essay is littered with grammatical errors or even if there are a few, then you couldn't possibly have written and thought of the essay yourself as you would be an idiot. Hence, you would get marked down.

CrashOveride

HSC
im not saying i wud do it..im just asking for opinon. Also, 12 markers??? I wud have thought its only marked by 1, rechecked by 1, thats it.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
different marker for each section and its double marked
12 all up (but you are right, 2 for each section)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It's double marked with a head marker for adjudication if there's a major discrepency between the two marks.

Edit: Hahaha fool :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
CrashOveride said:
im not saying i wud do it..im just asking for opinon. Also, 12 markers??? I wud have thought its only marked by 1, rechecked by 1, thats it.
It's a board. I think it's fair that way, don't you? :) Lol... plus on the whole spelling mistake issue, I am definitley not going back to my essay and scanning for errors. I have a lot of HSC markers in our school (plus theyre not 50! lol) and they say you can't mark down an essay for three or four mistakes when the concepts are brilliant. We're in exam conditions. I'm sure we'll make at least one.

EDIT: at least I think it's a board.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yeah we do. Lol, it's cool. You're right though. If they can distinctly notice, it's a problem, but I think we disagree because we have different ideas of the extent of the mistake. If it's one that can't be overlooked, like spelling journeys wrong, (a bit exaggerated there) then each of those mistakes count. If it's spelling realise with a "z", they'll probably overlook it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
gordo said:
oooo, i dunno
realize would just jump out like a bad apple
Lol, I guess... couldn't think of a better example... guess its all the markers. I know a marker that can't stand people who don't dot their "i"'s hahaha amazing.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
yeah all in all i don't think it will matter too much but i know that when i read ppls essays i instinctively proofread and correct spelling etc. so maybe that will get to some markers more than others - they're paid to be objective though

C

coca cola

I can't spell. I was told that spelling and handwriting doesn't count at this level - so I never bothered to fix it or maybe its just because I don't like English very much. Now I am scared that I might not even get a band 5 in english because I can't spell properly.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
your could probably get a band 5 with atrocious spelling. speeling and grammar just flaws a perfect response to a 1 or 2 mark under a perfect response

cleopatra

Cleopatra
"Dear God; make me a bird, so i can fly far, far a
HSC
back to the degredation of the english language topic, i hear you. i hate that we study all of this journey/in the wild/truth shit. if we are going to do a course about analysing texts (which i might add now includes things like ads and i guess a cereal box if it has a road on it, the way things are going) and are going to completly neglect things like grammar and spelling then they should rename the course to "Literature" or "media" because there is no study of the english language like there should be. eg, French, Italian etc, they would get slamed for impropper grammar. so why is english still called english?

the only good thing about it is the Shakespeare module, and even it is turned shitty because of the readings and productions crap. what ever happened to themes and characterisation being of the most importance?

i might add that one of the reasons for my resentment of the english course is that i am not perfect at grammar and my spelling is awful (i live in fear of spellcheck)

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
ah i just can't wait, in 48 hrs we'll never have to talk about 'the journey' ever again!

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! :D :D :D

-Recoil-

I'm using the Star Wars Saga/Trilogy (The originals) for the journey texts. Do you think if they ask for 2-3 (3 is unlikely) of my own texts that the 3 movies would count as separate texts, or would they look at as one big text?
I don't really want to have to break up the three into separate texts, but I may have to if they'll only count it as one. :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)