• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (11 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lukybear said:
He asserted that the arguer who possed the arguement was less intelligent...
So how do I inform you that you're wrong in your assumption that a 'theory' is untrue because it is not a law?

If I was saying you're less intelligent - I'd say it outright ie. you're a moron for believing in God.

You however, brought up a 'Global warming is theory not law' statement (i don't see the relevance, but whatever) without even knowing the definition of 'theory' in a scientific context.

Lukybear

HSC
tommykins said:
Then we test those and once we've ran out of ideas, it becomes a miracle.

Scientific method buddy, explore all possible explanations and you're BOUND to hit into the correct one.
My point exactly... I am a scientific man.
But your definition of divine intervention, an event which science cannot prove, what can i say, there wont ever be such an event which can be repeated. The human imagination is limitless....

Why cant God, work through science to conduct miracles? Like the example in which i propsed, if i had brain cancer and was about to die, the next day i am completely healed... The work of which was some unknown virus... wouldnt you say that be a miracle?

nikolas

HSC
alexdore993 said:
Yeah... another ad homen argument.
maybe you should learn what ad hominem. actaully is? He is right, you do not know what a theory is.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lukybear said:
My point exactly... I am a scientific man, but your definition of divine intervention, an event which science cannot prove is just 2 hard. The human imagination is limitless....

Why cant God, work through science to conduct miracles? LIke the example in which i propsed, if i had brain cancer and was about to die, the next day i am completely healed... The work of which was some unknown virus... wouldnt you say that be a miracle?
I do not know enough about biology to pose the possible scenarios that could give 'birth' to this unknown virus.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Then we test those and once we've ran out of ideas, it becomes a miracle.

Scientific method buddy, explore all possible explanations and you're BOUND to hit into the correct one.
but what makes you think that God did not make it happen, just because you can explain it, it does not mean that it is not an act of God, thus your argument is flawed

Lukybear

HSC
tommykins said:
So how do I inform you that you're wrong in your assumption that a 'theory' is untrue because it is not a law?

If I was saying you're less intelligent - I'd say it outright ie. you're a moron for believing in God.

You however, brought up a 'Global warming is theory not law' statement (i don't see the relevance, but whatever) without even knowing the definition of 'theory' in a scientific context.
Well, you would say xxx is wrong, and that your assumption is wrong, not that your less intelligent then i because u belive xxx

Lukybear

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but what makes you think that God did not make it happen, just because you can explain it, it does not mean that it is not an act of God, thus your argument is flawed
Exactly...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Premise -
The penny is floating.
God did it.

Therefore God exists.

No ma'am, YOUR argument is flawed.

Lukybear

HSC
tommykins said:
Premise -
The penny is floating.
God did it.

Therefore God exists.

Again, you cannot apply logic to God... Ie God can make 2+2=5 (omnipotence)

The old cliche "God works in mysterious ways" applys here.

impervious182

HSC
tommykins said:
Premise -
The penny is floating.
God did it.

Therefore God exists.

Not flawed.

She is linking back to the argument that scientifically explained events can still be an act of God and thus, that the two are not mutually exlusive.

She's not necessarily drawing a proof from that, but rather suggesting that one does not disprove the other.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Premise -
The penny is floating.
God did it.

Therefore God exists.

I am not saying that God did it all i am saying is that just because you can explain how he did it it does not mean that he did not make it happen.

you are explaining the how, not who or what caused it to happen, i am not using this as an argument for God's existance all i am saying is that just because you can explain how things happen, it does not mean that there is not a why, or something out there initiating it

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
alexdore993 said:
Not flawed.

She is linking back to the argument that scientifically explained events can still be an act of God and thus, that the two are not mutually exlusive.

She's not necessarily drawing a proof from that, but rather suggesting that one does not disprove the other.
I am a girl

and i agree, science and God are not mutually exclusive

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
sigh - 'can't use logic'

bring on the FSM again.

FSM works in mysterious ways.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Lukybear said:
My point exactly... I am a scientific man.
But your definition of divine intervention, an event which science cannot prove, what can i say, there wont ever be such an event which can be repeated. The human imagination is limitless....

Why cant God, work through science to conduct miracles? Like the example in which i propsed, if i had brain cancer and was about to die, the next day i am completely healed... The work of which was some unknown virus... wouldnt you say that be a miracle?
Almost limitless enough to be able to conjure up an image of an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent entity who exists outside of space and time and who indirectly controls everything of which we are familiar, and then to make this being and what it stands for malleable enough to withstand even the most ardent arguments of logic and reality against it.
Oh wait... Too late.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
sigh - 'can't use logic'

bring on the FSM again.

FSM works in mysterious ways.
but the FSM monster argument can still be applied to this, say someone believed that the FSM made a person float in mid air, and science has an explanation for how it happened, you still can not prove that the FSM, did not make the event which you can explain happen

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but the FSM monster argument can still be applied to this, say someone believed that the FSM made a person float in mid air, and science has an explanation for how it happened, you still can not prove that the FSM, did not make the event which you can explain happen
then I accept the FSM and that your God doesn't exist because only the FSM can exist?

impervious182

HSC
tommykins said:
then I accept the FSM and that your God doesn't exist because only the FSM can exist?
Which would be an appropriate stance to take, had there been thousands of sightings of the FSM and recounts of these sightings corroborated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)