• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

does school influence marks (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
PLEASE CLARIFY
I GO TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL AND IT is a dumb dumb year. and im getting like mid 80s for most of my subjects and coming first in like everything
i do
advanced english
english ext 1
gen maths
modern history
society and culture
business st
legal st

please
a) tell me will my school bring down my marks and thus my UAI (im aiming for early 90's (ha god i am wishing but seriously))
b) what do u think my uai will be, roughly?

doingHSC

HSC
pig_93 said:
PLEASE CLARIFY
I GO TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL AND IT is a dumb dumb year. and im getting like mid 80s for most of my subjects and coming first in like everything
i do
advanced english
english ext 1
gen maths
modern history
society and culture
business st
legal st

please
a) tell me will my school bring down my marks and thus my UAI (im aiming for early 90's (ha god i am wishing but seriously))
b) what do u think my uai will be, roughly?
a) if ur coming 1st, no, it will not bring ur UAI down

b) purely depends upon how well u did in HSC

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that if it's the "dumb dumb" year at your school you're not going to benefit.
If your school grade average is, say, 60% for any one subject, and the state grade average for that subject is 73%, your assessment mark would *probably* be increased because your school average is so low (hard-marking, BoS will assume). If a school had a course average of 99%, and even if you get 100%, Bos will interpret the stupidly high course average as a sign that the school is too lenient or give out stupidly easy exams. So your assessment mark would be modulated to a lower mark, so as to standardise the varying degrees of difficult each school enforces on its assessments. I might be bullshating but that's what I assume will happen.

Gemstone

That sounds right but what if your in a really small class 2-5 people and everyone does really well and so your class average is up in the 90% range. Will BOS take into account the fact that your class is so small. And will they also look at your exam results to see if the 90% average is represented in your exam marks too.

~ Gems

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Me and one other girl have an internal mark of 100% in ext 2 english. There are only 5 of us in the class. Are we going to have our assessment marks slaughtered because the bos will assume we have been marked too leniently?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Komaticom's statements aren't quite correct.

Gemstone said:
Will BOS take into account the fact that your class is so small.
No. The size of your class is irrelevant.

Gemstone said:
And will they also look at your exam results to see if the 90% average is represented in your exam marks too.
Yes, that's exactly what they do - and if they see the same average there, you'll get to keep the marks. If your exam average is a bit lower, your assessment marks will go down a little to match. Etc.

gemita said:
Me and one other girl have an internal mark of 100% in ext 2 english. There are only 5 of us in the class. Are we going to have our assessment marks slaughtered because the bos will assume we have been marked too leniently?
No. The Board doesn't make silly assumptions like that.

Your assessment mark will be the average of the top two major work marks for your class. (And the same will also apply for the other girl.) If those marks are both 100% as well, then clearly your 100% assessment marks were justified, so you'd get to keep them. Otherwise, no. :)

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
my pdhpe class of 11 is really dodgy.
eg. trial hsc class average = 32.
my trial hsc mark = 80.
all the assessments gave similar marks. the other ppl in the class get low marks in all their courses but i don't. it is generally a smart year except for these people. will i be disadvantaged at all by this, will my marks for this subject be pulled down?

Last edited:
S

Shuter

Komaticom said:
So correct me. I'm interested in where I veered off the mark.
They don't just "look at it and modulate it".

They look at the relative rank and spacing for your internal assessments.

Then they look at your class acheivement in the HSC exam.

They then moderate the assessment marks so that the top HSC becomes the top assessment mark, the bottom HSC mark becomes the bottom assessment mark, and the mean of the entires class HSC mark is the same as the mean of the entire classes assessment mark. They also preserve all the relative spacing of students marks when they modulate them, based off assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)