• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

doing 10 units a bad option? (1 Viewer)

kiminae92

HSC
so these are my subjects im taking:
- English advanced
- Mathematics advanced
- Mathematics Extention I
- Chemistry
- Biology
- Studies of Religion I
- Visual Arts

i am considering dropping visual arts, but not sure because doing 10 units is apparently 'risky'. VA scales crap, so isn't doing ok (around 80-90%) in VA the same as doing not so ok in chem (70-80%)??

please help me decide, whether i should drop art or not.
i could use the frees from art to work on my chem...??

thanks for your help... :)

micuzzo

HSC
^i wuldnt say that using ur 'frees' is an excuse...

it dpends how good u are at chem... but yes 10 is risky... u have to make sure u do well in evergything which can easily go wrong.

If u are a motivated student and willing it shuldnt b too bad

kiminae92

HSC
yeah that is true.

ive been using my frees as hw time...

VA is 'fun' but i don't think ill find it useful in uni, considering chem is a prerequisite for many courses....

ive been doing 70-80% in chem and 80-90% in art, from those marks, should i still drop art, considerining it doesn't scale well?

elmoateme

HSC
If you enjoy doing art keep doing it, don't worry about scaling. It seems as if youre talking a lot about chem a lot, but with no clear reason why. It isn't as if you would use all your frees from VA to do chem. That would probably be quite silly any way.

You never know how everything will scale, and everything changes in year 12 anyway. If you do well in a subject you will be rewarded for it. That being said, don't believe people if they say doing 10 units is a stupid idea because you need a safety net.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I used to do 14 units for a short period of time in year 12, and I couldn't handle it after awhile. I dropped to 12 units, and I found that easily manageable - and it made me stress less because I knew that I had 2 units that could back me up if I stuffed up in a particular area - but without the extra workload. Essentially you need to find a balance between comfort and what works best for you.

10 units is a bit risky (but it depends on how you work/study). Your perceptions of subjects can easily fluctuate over a short period of time. For example, some of the subjects I hated before - I started to love - and vice versa.

I'd suggest keeping 11-12 units, for at least a few more months anyway, so at least you'll get a general idea of how you'll cope. Then decide later if you want to drop/keep those units.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
10 units may be "risky", but if you use the extra time you'll have doing only 10 wisely then it would not be risky at all as you would have studied effectively ;)

With that being said, doing 12 units worth of work is not hard at all. In fact, most people do 12 units so if you're unsure just keep 12.

I would suggest dropping VA and working on your chemistry though - chem is one of those subjects where extra work will pay off :)

Nyxie

HSC
do what you enjoy! essentially it will be what you succeed in... :cook:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
what do you enjoy more?
What are you better at?
are you confident that you will NOT SCREW up with 10 units?
what UAI/ATAR are u aiming for?

gracee09

HSC
i'm doing 10 units and find the extra study periods (private) very useful.. some people at my school do go home during private and most of the guys haven't really matured yet and muck around all lesson [takes us back to the year 7-8 days lol].

i think if you use your extra study periods properly and really focus, you'll be fine with 10 units. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)