• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ECON 200 vs 201? (1 Viewer)

akiva

HSC
N/A
To all the ppl who have done one or the other (or preferably both!) - Which one is (a) easier (b) more interesting (c) more useful down the track in terms of other units?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i saw quite a bit of maths in 200...check out the past papers on e-reserve...The subject looks alright.

econ201 is a good subject. Its pretty useful but i guess 200 is as well. Actuaries are made to do 201 over 200 for some reason.

Also the 300 level units like 309 require specifically econ200 (and 210) so you can take that into consideration.

- L1n -

HSC
anyone who is enrolled in applied finace and professional accoputing actually did both 200 lvl econ subjects????

havy

HSC
I'm an applied finance student, and I chose 200 over 201 because its easier - 2 MC class tests and a final - less work compared to 201's assignments and presentations.

btw, i think 201 is compulsory for actuaries but 200 isn't.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
you are right. Some people might do both perhaps to satisfy the prerequisites of their preferred 300 level econ electives, or they want a solid foundation in both macro and micro.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I've enrolled in 201, but I'm having a major dilemma and wondering whether I should switch to 200- just because it would be easier and I would avoid you actuarial guys. :p

I find macro more interesting than micro though. So, does anyone have any advice for me?

havy

HSC
I personally think at the intermediate level, microeconomics can also help you in personal decisions, there are topics such as:
1. Game theory (how to deal with competition - consider your opponent's preferences before considering yours.)
2. Utility (happiness) maximization (instead of wealth maximization) -
3. Theory of Opportunity cost

A theoretical example (may be exaggerated) of opportunity cost can be...lets say investment banking. The 80-100k annual salary looks attractive to graduates indeed..but is working average 90hrs per wk under high stress lvl the best option you can choose?

so u hav option 1: get into IB and earn 80k, work on average 90hrs per wk under high stress lvl
or option 2: work at coles and work 90hrs (40hrs normal and 50hr overtime) under little amt of pressure. u'll earn $19 per hr, and overtime is 1.5 times normal pay, so ur weekly salary will be: 19*(40+50*1.5)=$2185
in a yr u'll earn 2185*52=$113,620, which is better than IB salary :) so it seems option 2 - working at coles is better than working at IB

then why isn't anyone working 90hrs a wk at coles? well that's because the law does not allow normal staff working more than 40hrs. but no one seems to care about graduate bankers having to work from 8am to 1am...7 days a wk...

btw the above case is merely theoretical, it may not be an accurate reflection of the 2 industries (I was just trying to explain some theories, plz dont flame me :bomb: )

Last edited:

havy

HSC
Luke! said:
I find macro more interesting than micro though. So, does anyone have any advice for me?
I think higher lvl macro economics give you more insight about the bigger picture, it can be very helpful in interpreting and forecasting govt policies, business cycles etc.
But then you can always learn just about enough macro economics from self studies (from magazines, books and internet) if you are interested enough. I mean it sounds like that u are worried about econ201's difficulty and competition already. Your fear on the course can be a negative motivator b4 u even start, and it can easily lead to frustration later on. And this may not be worth it since you actually have alternative courses.

So my advice to you will be:

1. do the easier econ200, or

2. get fully motivated and committed (if you really hav great interest in macro and wish to pursue knowledge at higher lvl), and do ur best to get a D or HD among the best of the actuaries.:)

so either dont touch it or try ur best and get the most out of it:hammer: :hammer:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I prefer Macro, I didnt like Micro in first year so i didnt continue it. Macro has theories of interest rates which can be handy for your future studies. They are both useful subjects in their own right, it doesnt matter what you do, just do the one you'll get a better grade in.

dracover

HSC
i did both and my suggestion is if u can choose one go for 200

its a lot more enjoyable and taught better (at least in my year it was)

actuaries have to do 201

i found 201 to be taught badly and little practice papers or other relevant exercises were available for test preperation
because u have to do a tutorial presentation the tuts i dont fink was much help with exam style questions (the questions often require even a bit of research so it wouldnt be possible to get an exam question on it)

200 u are given much clearer guides

also i fink it might be because all the actuaries do 201 so average marks are higher. for some reason weneva that happens the uni thinks the course is too easy and they make the lectuers set harder exams (i've been told this by lectuers 99% sure of validity) so yeah go for 200

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I think I will stick with 201; I enjoyed first year macro. It's probably harder than 200, but I haven't failed anything so far, and as Supra said, it'll be more relevant to my future studies, plus it will save me screwing around with my enrolment at the last minute.

rawfromearth

HSC
N/A
So can anyone tell me how to get the course outline of both subject ECON200 and 201? I just would like to have a look the requirement to pass for these subjects.

I am planning to transfer to BAPP Finance in March, so I can either take one of above subjects. But the problem is the pre-requiste, I got the exemptions of ECON 111-Microecon which i took it almost 8 years ago. I forget what was covered in this subject, will it affect me to study ECON200 ?

I am going to take ECON141, ECON110 and ACST300 this semester and ACST201, ECON201 next semester. But heard some guys here saying that ECON201 is pretty hard subjects, so i think I will choose ECON200 instead of ECON201 in summer as there is not availabe in the next semester.

Please advise me.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
rawfromearth said:
Please advise me.
Tough call, girl.

Microeconomics involved consumer utility, fixed/variable/and total costs of the firm, market structures like oligopoly/monopoly/perfect competition, and income distribution, etc.

I think if you get good marks in ECON110 this semester, you should choose ECON201, if you only get average marks, choose ECON200.

Remember, if you decide to do ECON201, you can go to PAL (Peer-Assisted Learning) sessions. I will be doing ECON201 next semester as well, and will be using the PAL program to make sure I do well. PAL isn't available for ECON200.

I hope this helps.

havy

HSC
Luke! said:
Remember, if you decide to do ECON201, you can go to PAL (Peer-Assisted Learning) sessions. I will be doing ECON201 next semester as well, and will be using the PAL program to make sure I do well. PAL isn't available for ECON200.
but remember, if it aint hard, then it doesnt need PAL. wats the primary objective of PAL sessions? it is to lower down failure rates.

rawfromearth

HSC
N/A
Thanks Luke,

Then let me see how's going with my ECON110 this sem, and deciding what I am going to do next semester. If I choose ECON201, I think I will be using the PAL program as well to make sure I could at least - pass the subject.

Luke! said:
Tough call, girl.

Microeconomics involved consumer utility, fixed/variable/and total costs of the firm, market structures like oligopoly/monopoly/perfect competition, and income distribution, etc.

I think if you get good marks in ECON110 this semester, you should choose ECON201, if you only get average marks, choose ECON200.

I hope this helps.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
havy said:
but remember, if it aint hard, then it doesnt need PAL. wats the primary objective of PAL sessions? it is to lower down failure rates.
Valid point, havy.

I work on the principle that you should be able to, at least, pass any unit if you apply yourself. So, from that perspective, I don't think 201 should be any harder than 200- it's just a matter of doing 'more' study, not necessarily 'harder' study.

rawfromearth said:
Thanks Luke,

Then let me see how's going with my ECON110 this sem, and deciding what I am going to do next semester. If I choose ECON201, I think I will be using the PAL program as well to make sure I could at least - pass the subject.
I think that's your best option. See how you go this semester and make your decision based on that. Goodluck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)