• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Effectiveness of policy questions (1 Viewer)

zb123

HSC
If the extended response is analyse the effectiveness of fiscal policy etc..

How much time should you spend on advantages and disadvantages? Should you also talk about general theory as well, or just focus on political constraints, conflicting objectives and global influences and time lags?

RishBonjour

HSC
I would do that by saying how fiscal effectively increases eco growth, reduces unemployment etc, and can also maintain inflation, redistribute income. and give examples to recent budgets
for the other, I would talk about the constraints, and also give references, I would also include the crowding out effect and unpredictability of multiplier effect, and also the relatively ineffective fiscal surpluses during the 1990s at controlling CAD, which ave above trend rate.
for questions like this, structure will basically fuck your essay or push it into a band 6 (considering you know your stuff)

buts thats just how I do my things, some people, would talk about a particular issue and discuss the effectiveness in one para.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so you would split it in two parts?
See if you can tell story with all your different points. If you can give a response which talk about a positive and then perhaps how it was negated by a negative, then I think it would flow a bit better.

MasonT

HSC
Well generally in economic exam questions there are two parts to the question ... For instance it may ask for the "Effectiveness of Fiscal responses to economic objectives" ... In that case you would talk about economic objectives (sustainable growth, price stability, full employment, distribution of income and wealth, external sustainability, environmental management) and include the strategies, advantages and disadvantages and the limitations of that policy implementation.

Another example to this is to look at the 2011 question which asked "How does fiscal policy affect economic activity and income distribution in the Australian economy?"
In that case, I probably would look at:

Paragraph one: Fiscal Policy (role, influence, importance)
Paragraph Two: Economic Growth (Definition, Measure, Influences)
Paragraph Three: Issues involving Economic Growth (Causes of economic growth - Aggregate Demand and Supply and how Fiscal policy can influence Aggregate Demand)
Paragraph Four: Evaluation of Economic Growth (Effects of economic growth and limitations Fiscal Policy has on economic growth)

And I would do the same for distribution of income with the rest of the paragraphs
Hope, this helps? D:

RishBonjour

HSC
Well generally in economic exam questions there are two parts to the question ... For instance it may ask for the "Effectiveness of Fiscal responses to economic objectives" ... In that case you would talk about economic objectives (sustainable growth, price stability, full employment, distribution of income and wealth, external sustainability, environmental management) and include the strategies, advantages and disadvantages and the limitations of that policy implementation.

Another example to this is to look at the 2011 question which asked "How does fiscal policy affect economic activity and income distribution in the Australian economy?"
In that case, I probably would look at:

Paragraph one: Fiscal Policy (role, influence, importance)
Paragraph Two: Economic Growth (Definition, Measure, Influences)
Paragraph Three: Issues involving Economic Growth (Causes of economic growth - Aggregate Demand and Supply and how Fiscal policy can influence Aggregate Demand)
Paragraph Four: Evaluation of Economic Growth (Effects of economic growth and limitations Fiscal Policy has on economic growth)

And I would do the same for distribution of income with the rest of the paragraphs
Hope, this helps? D:
thats a really nice outline!

OP, my teacher showed us the "best answers" from 2011, some BOS book, that essay was answered in this form generally:

intro - definition of fiscal policy etc

para 1- its effect on economic activity (expansionary)
para 2- its effect on economic activity ( contractionary)
and then
same for income distribution -
yes, they tend to have long paragraphs, but with graphs etc.

And also, quantity is a significant factor, most are like 8-10 pages.
(except exchange rate, they are around 7-8 pages)

good luck

KierenTran

jenko
HSC
I would do that by saying how fiscal effectively increases eco growth, reduces unemployment etc, and can also maintain inflation, redistribute income. and give examples to recent budgets
for the other, I would talk about the constraints, and also give references, I would also include the crowding out effect and unpredictability of multiplier effect, and also the relatively ineffective fiscal surpluses during the 1990s at controlling CAD, which ave above trend rate.
for questions like this, structure will basically fuck your essay or push it into a band 6 (considering you know your stuff)

buts thats just how I do my things, some people, would talk about a particular issue and discuss the effectiveness in one para.
+1, thats all you probably need for that type of question... but focus more on why its effective... such as stability in the business cycle, u/e, income and even environmental (considering its of growing importance). And then just say a however, and add its limitations in two-three paragraphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)