• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Emma/Clueless - Process of Transformation? (1 Viewer)

benjams

HSC
The process of transformation involves much more than just the adaptation of ideas and form to contemporary situations and audiences. How has your understanding of Emma and Clueless been developed and reshaped through the study of transformations?

Not quite sure I understand this question...I was thinking of saying that the authenticity of a transformation involves the process of bringing up new themes and ideas in the transformed text in order for the responder to understand the older text and it's values....

any thoughts?

cartdoggg

HSC
N/A
I dont think it brings up any new themes that are relevant to Emma as such during the transformation process but as the question says it reshapes them or re-evaluates them. That is, it takes from the original version the main themes such as the values setting and genre and alters those so it appeals to a more contemporary audience.. and then in your essay go on and compare these themes such as social class etc and show providing examples how Heckerling has re-evaluated them into the 20th century modern society but still show that these themes were just as relevant back in her time...

Hope thats ok..

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
Transformation does involve much more than adaptation of ideas and form to contemporary situations and audiences.
It does involve new/old values as well as adapting to a contemporary audience etc. But in many ways( one fer example) Transformation can show us how little societys values have changed/ stay unchanged. For example the feminism issue in both texts, the way both ladies are percieved as "head strong," and lead men around. Yet they both conform to how the average male "percieves" how a woman should look. Cher= Short hot hot hot hot skirts, and Emma pretending to be itellectual, etc (read book) this shows that they actually are lead around lol. :) Just one example but that is a real thinking question, tryin define transformation and approach from another angle, only real advise I can give GL

Last edited:

niks90

HSC
that honestly has cleared up much of my confusion with what we are going to try and actually convey through the question. thanks getting to a starting point at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)