• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Emma! Need Help! Re: Elements of style Jane Austen has employed (1 Viewer)

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
So we have to do a "study guide" for emma... and one of the questions in it it Name and discuss 3 different elements of style Jane Austen has employed" Apart from the fact that I've only read half the book and I am having humungous difficulty in reading it because its so tedious I don't really know what elements of style jane austen uses! ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!

fat_penguin

HSC
i'm not exactly sure what you mean by style, and i don't have emma anymore so i can't give you exact quotes, but i'll give it a shot from memory..

there's omniscient narration, eg in the beginning of the novel when austen goes, emma something something "the first in consequence in highbury seemed to unite the best blessings in existence"

there's authorial intrusion because emma possesses imaginist tendencies.. like that quote where it says she "thinks a little too well of herself" .. like the whole frank churchill scenario.. so authorial intrusion is used to differentiate between reality and fantasy..

um, austen concludes with in a typical 'comedy of manners' style where emma gets married to mr knightley - you know, a union of equals..

hm yeah, i hope that helps .. it's been a long time =P

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Wow, I LOVE JANE AUSTEN TO BITS.

*Misses studying English now :(*

maaan i wish i could love jane austen cause then i could actually finish the book instead of reading half a page and then getting distracted!

benjams

HSC
Austen also uses free indirect discourse as a type of narration. This is where the narrator speaks from a characters viewpoint but doesnt put it in quotations which creates irony for the responder....

hope it helped and/or made sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)