• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Employment scams (1 Viewer)

A1

HSC
N/A
Post employment scams here.

Just to get the ball rolling:

This is a recent one which has been around for a few months now.
Get an email from someone who says that there is a company that is expanding to Australia. They are looking for agents to collect payments on behalf of the company. Your role is to use your bank account to collect payment. Usually payment is a few thousand dollars at a time. Once payment is collected to use Western Union to transfer the funds to a code name in some strange country. You keep a percentage (10 - 20%) of the funds collect.

So far all is fair enough.

The scam is that you are used as a money laundering mule. The funds which are transferred to your account are funds that have been stolen from people's accounts previously, when the organised criminals (Russian Mafia, mainly) have fooled people into giving the fraudsters their PINs (phishing scam). Although the Russian mafia have stooge's PINs they can't actually transfer the funds as this can be traced. So they need mules to do it on their behalf.
Anyone getting this job is left holding the bag when the federal police starts knocking on the door of the account holder to whom funds have been illegally transferred.

Last edited:

A1

HSC
N/A
Work from home!!! Make $500 - $1000 p/w part time, up to $4000 (or some other bullshit amount) p/w full time.
These posters are put up here and there, sometimes you might even get a pissy little photocopied piece of A5 paper in your letterbox stating this.
In virtually all cases the business behind this is Herbalife. Herbalife is a multi level marketing (MLM) organisation. There is a growing number of multi level marketing organisations making the rounds, the most famous of which is Amway.
I will write more about MLM organisations later.

Last edited:

A1

HSC
N/A
ToO LaZy ^* said:
well...i grab a bunch of fuel receipts from my liquorland to save me 4c each time i go to fuel up...
so ner!. :eek:
That's an innovative "employment scam". In fact, it's so innovative I'm still trying to get my head around how it works :)

A1

HSC
N/A
ToO LaZy ^* said:
yeah!...just think about it. :)
Hahaahahaa. Fair enough.
It took me 24 hours to work it out, but finally I got it.

That reminds me. When I used to work at Coles, one of my tasks was to mark down the meat on Saturday afternoons. I used to mark down mince, for example, to $1 unless the person approaching me looked EXACTLY like my mum or dad. In these cases it was marked down to 25c.

Last edited:

Wallyhead

HSC
How about this one:

***insert anything that sounds too good to be true here***

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Threadstarterguy said:
The scam is that you are used as a money laundering mule. The funds which are transferred to your account are funds that have been stolen from people's accounts previously, when the organised criminals (Russian Mafia, mainly) have fooled people into giving the fraudsters their PINs (phishing scam). Although the Russian mafia have stooge's PINs they can't actually transfer the funds as this can be traced. So they need mules to do it on their behalf.

Anyone getting this job is left holding the bag when the federal police starts knocking on the door of the account holder to whom funds have been illegally transferred.
Uhh.. I really fail to see what positive effects this would have on the "Russian Mafia, mainly". That paragraph tells me that the only outcome is that innocent individuals get money and then get caught by cops..

Edit: Goddamnit man, your font is so annoying.

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
usually any thing to do with "Western Union" = a problem...

A1

HSC
N/A
GaDaMIt said:
Uhh.. I really fail to see what positive effects this would have on the "Russian Mafia, mainly". That paragraph tells me that the only outcome is that innocent individuals get money and then get caught by cops..
It allows them to get the funds out of their infiltrated accounts. The mules only get to keep a small percentage i.e 10 - 20%. The rest goes overseas.

Just in my email box:

Our company is one of the leading in the industry
of financial services, offering job for anyone
in any place of the world.
Become millionare from the home!
Get the money !

http://www.cashinhends.com/

A1

HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
usually any thing to do with "Western Union" = a problem...
I know that, you know that, but unfortunately a lot of people don't. That's the problem with this scam. It all looks so innocent and simple. In fact the sucker who "applies" for this job does not have to invest any funds or pay for anything. The saying "what have I got to lose?" really applies here. If only the suckers knews that it was a clean criminal record that they can lose.

I've informed Helen "ethics' Wellings from Today Tonight about this one. She wasn't interested. So I hope the info on this thread helps.

Last edited:

A1

HSC
N/A
This is an email from June last year.
I contacted the Crimes Commission about this one.
Website has since been pulled down.

Airgid Lingus is looking for proactive and motivated prospects to fill in a part-time position of Escrow Agent. The prospective candidate should be a responsible and committed person with some multi-taskability. Prior experience in the field of finance or accounting is an advantage, but is not essential. Your compensation commission based, and your commission depends solely on your performance and efficiency. You should be able to get a substantial additional income at the expense of just 4-8 hours per week.

WHO WE ARE
Airgid Lingus Private Equity Partners (Plc) is a venture capital firm investing in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Established in1994, it now has ˆ60 million under management. Our firm has a strong focus on investing in early stage technology companies, and we have made over 50 investments in such sectors as information technologies,biotech and healthcare. Given the recent decline of the European financial market, we are now looking to attract investors from around the world, particularly the Commonwealth countries. We are eager to provide our investment advice and expertise to individual investors by offering stakes at AirgidPrivate Equity Fund I.

JOB DESCRIPTION
We strive to provide the most efficient service on the highly competitive global private equity market. Due to the tax and legislative barriers set by many countries, the price of establishing permanent office abroad may be forbearing. That is why we are looking for energetic and disciplined accounts receivable managers to establish cash flow between our investors and the Investment Fund under close supervision of our financial management team. Essentially, your duty will be to receive funds from our investors and forward them to the investment and trust accounts designated by your supervisor. This job is no rocket science, but it is rather demands some responsibility and accuracy. It is in your own hands to build a skyrocketing career on this solid basis.

OUR REQUIREMENTS
In order to qualify, you must be an individual aged 21 and above, committed and good with numbers. You should also have a bank account set up in your name or your business name. You should be looking at dedicating 4-8 hours per week to your duties, communicating with your supervisor via phone and email.

YOUR COMPENSATION
Your commission is calculated on the following table:
Amount transferred, per annum (USD equivalent) Commission rate
Up to 100,000 5%
100,000 - 250,000 7,5%
250,000 - 500,000 10%
500,000 and over 12,5%
You retain your commission directly from the amount that you receive for further transfer, so you will not have to wait for any payroll check in the mail. Instead, you receive the commission as soon as you transfer the money to the client investment account.

HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the position, please email a short resume and a motivation letter to career@airgidlingus.com.

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Anytime someone comes up to you and says you can make thousands of dollars a month by following their advice ask them why they are wasting their time cold canvasing strangers and not sitting at home relaxing on their wads of cash. When they tell you they like helping other people tell them to do some charity work.

Another good scam is email processing and envelope stuffing, or surveys, or pay for search scam, you might get a few bucks now and then but they all fold sooner or later. I guess if your time is not worth much sure why not, just use disposable info and email addresses because they way they make money is selling your info.

Anytime someone comes up to you in the street or shops with an opportunity it'll be Multi Level Marketing (MLM). MLM is a great scam, I highly enjoy MLMs because they give me hours of amusement and a great insight into cult mentality plus the level of intelligence and greed most people have. You just see dollar signs light up in some poor MLM drone when you show even the slightest interest and you can have hours of fun poking holes in the points and watch them get all flustered when they clearly have lost logic but not faith.

I love wasting scammers time when I am bored.

A1

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
I love wasting scammers time when I am bored.
Ohhhhh, you're a cruel bastard. But then so am I.

Whenever I get emails offering me a share of many millions of dollars (the Nigerian email scam), I reply back with my mobile number and state that I only do business over the phone. On the odd occassion I actually get a call from Nigeria, or somewhere else in Africa. I ask about the weather, what the latest is and so forth. Basically talk crap and fill in time. Sometimes to the point when the call just gets cut off. This must cost a packet. I guess they have to write this off as a business expense.

The Nigerian email scam is actually pretty bad (for those who haven't heard about it). Initially you are emailed from:
The late king's son of some region;
A senior director of a bank;
A senior government official etc etc

In each case they have access to tens of millions of dollars, and they need to get this money out of the country, more specifically, to a Western country. You are the lucky person that they have contacted to share the spoils. However, there are a few matters that need to be dealt with first.
You need to travel to some far flung country at your expense. You need to cover an ever increasing number of costs, such as legal fees, admin fees, technical fees, bullshit fees etc. The closer you seem to get to the loot, the more costs are borne. Naturally, all the people you bump into on your way to wealth are part of the scam, and their efforts need to be paid for.

Some suckers were known to be stubborn and refuse to pay. In such cases they had their passports taken or were even killed. Remember, we're talking about Central Africa here, and the whole transation thingy that was offered was a hush hush affair, so don't think that it's as easy as saying "ok boys, this is a scam I'm going to the Australian Embassy now".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)