• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English exam failures (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Anyone else do really badly in their English exam?

I ran out of time, so I ended up with basically no Section III (looking at maybe 2/15), and a very, very, abrupt ending to Section II (perhaps 5-8/15). I think I did OK in Section I though (maybe 10-12/15). Overall I'd be looking at 40%, maybe 50% if my marker is very, very nice.

HSC
it's such a shame that you ran out of time becausse the exam fails to test your knowledge. instead it measures your time management skills and you obviously had a lot to do in your exam.

ajdlinux

HSC
At my school, Std and Adv did the same paper. I had the start of this really, really awesome narrative about a revolutionary fighting against the US government, which was at war with North Korea and had introduced martial law and censorship. I had basically just finished the introduction, where the protagonist sees a propaganda poster at his office then starts up his illegal 2000s-era PC, when all of a sudden I've got five minutes left in the exam.

I ended up with the crappest conclusion ever - the Department of Homeland Security turns up at his office, he wipes his computer, grabs his pistol and shoots himself. The End.

One of the things I really hate in English exams is unclear questions with inadequate explanation, particularly in Section I. I had a few questions there where I was basically guessing what my teacher was actually asking.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
he wipes his computer, grabs his pistol and shoots himself. The End.
sorry but i lol at the "THE END" part after he shoots himself comic relief.

But that doe suck i hate having to do so much in such a moderate amount of time it is either too much to do in 2 hours or too little for 2 hours ah stupid time space compression.

ajdlinux

HSC
marcquelle said:
it is either too much to do in 2 hours or too little for 2 hours ah stupid time space compression.
Yeah, in English, I have nowhere near enough time, in other subjects, I often have too much time. Particularly sucks at private schools where they don't let you leave early.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ajdlinux said:
At my school, Std and Adv did the same paper. I had the start of this really, really awesome narrative about a revolutionary fighting against the US government, which was at war with North Korea and had introduced martial law and censorship. I had basically just finished the introduction, where the protagonist sees a propaganda poster at his office then starts up his illegal 2000s-era PC, when all of a sudden I've got five minutes left in the exam.

I ended up with the crappest conclusion ever - the Department of Homeland Security turns up at his office, he wipes his computer, grabs his pistol and shoots himself. The End.

One of the things I really hate in English exams is unclear questions with inadequate explanation, particularly in Section I. I had a few questions there where I was basically guessing what my teacher was actually asking.
LOL.
Ahem.. That's a *bit* too complicated for a 40minute creative writing
=S

ajdlinux

HSC
youngminii said:
LOL.
Ahem.. That's a *bit* too complicated for a 40minute creative writing
=S
Yes, I know it's a bit complex, but I wasn't actually trying to write a 'complete' story. The story which I actually ended up with was a full page, but had I had a bit longer, the second page would have finished it very differently. There were a number of others who had written 3+ pages, so it's achievable. I wrote longer for my half-yearly.

Even so, I suppose the two things I haven't quite learned are a) time management and b) figuring out what I'm actually going to write in that time.

HSC
I ran out of time too. I did a crappy conclusion in like 20 seconds flat and as soon as i finished, it was pens down. Meh, at least i wrote a conclusion.

SimonLee13

HSC
Start to write your conclusion when the teacher says "1 minute left"

Lyly

HSC
I do 3 unit English, and I managed to finish all 2 essays and 2 creative stories (a creative story & an essay for Advanced, same thing for Extension)

However I think I shoud've expanded my Extension essay - I cut out most of my prepared essay and I think it's really weak now, and I was wriitng sooooo slow... so I only did 4 pages total in 1 hour... but 5 pages for my story :p

And I wrote 4 pages for each in Advanced.

The key thing I think, is time management - know all your points, even if you can't memorise your prepared essay. At least remember the main ponits of each paragraph. Same if you've prepared a story (though I didn't... lol)

Also, you should be writing minimum 900-1000 words for each essay/story, which is about 3-4 A4 pages. So it's OK if you think you haven't written enough. I tihnk there are threads about how to learn to write faster though :p
(Secret apparently is to practice lots of essays within the 40 mins timeframe...)

Lyly

HSC
Oh, most of my fellow students just remember the essential quotes we'll need and we bluff our way through the essay... but don't do that if you don't know the texts well enough :p

Although some people do manage to rememorise every single word... but I'm betting it was just a 900-word essay or something. Or it's an old essay they're recycling for the half-yearly/yearly exams :p

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I had to write a script and an essay. In the end I rushed to finish them both, only to have ten minutes to spare. I couldn't correct all the errors I made while rushing without having to re-write large sections. I. Hate. Time. Management.

chunter

HSC
Well,
How do I explain how my entire year pretty much BOMBED OUT in English, not matter whether it was standard, advanced or extension!

It was pretty much a shocker as none of us had had any time to prepare.

I went really bad and in advanced and in extension I reckon I went worse!

Believe me when I say that the year 11 exams won't really count to much more than your semester 2 report. Don't stress and just remember - just don't bomb out next year and you'll be fine, you just have to take what you got in your stride and try not to get too bogged down with it!

XXXX BisBis

ANTMfan91

HSC
I did really well in Extenstion English :). I got 9/10 which was the equal top mark.
I did alright in Advanced, 33/45. 8/15 in Section 1, 13/15 Section 2, 12/15 Section 3. I'm a bit disappointed but happy that Yr 11 doesn't count

ajdlinux

HSC
33/45 is only 'alright'?! I'd give, well, not quite 'anything', but close, to get marks like that :p

It's strange, because according to my teacher I'm one of the most naturally talented writers in my class, yet I keep on doing really, really badly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)