• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Environmental Science- What are current students opinions- help, please!! (1 Viewer)

golferjim

HSC
Hi, I am currently in the process of finalising my preferences for tertiary study in 2005. The course i am most interested in is Environmental Science and i would like some opinions from people currently doing the course at different universities. Sydney, Macquarie or UNSW are my most favoured.

Thanks

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
A lot of my friends are enviro science people (albeit at Newcastle). They seem to enjoy it (apart from being forced to do biology).
Although, you need to be prepared to be stereotyped (a large chunk of my biology stream is the enviro science students, so now we're all "tree-hugging greenies" as opposed to "real biology students")

Generator

HSC
N/A
USyd's course is ok... Quite broad given the possible study programmes available (biological, geological, geographical, etc, in addition to the environmental science units). I'm not sure if the forum has a student studying environmental science at USyd, but you never know.

DV8

HSC
Heya! I'm prolly not much help but i'll give my 2 cents anyways. I've almost completed my 1st year of EnvSc at Newy Uni... enjoying it thus far, apart from a few dodgy compulsory courses. The degree structure doesn't give much freedom til mid-2nd and 3rd year (for eample we only got 1 elective this whole year) but I dunno what other uni's are like. Compulsory courses for 1st year included:

2x Introductory Biology courses (1 in each semester)
Earth's dynamic systems (an introduction to the geosciences ie. geology, climatology, oceanography and biogeography)
Environmental values and ethics :mad:
Environmental systems
Statistics for the Sciences
1 course from a major sequence: biology, chemistry, geosciences or environmental management. I've chosen to major in environmental management.

Anyways if you have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them :) Good choice of degree btw :D

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
A lot of my friends are enviro science people (albeit at Newcastle). They seem to enjoy it (apart from being forced to do biology).
Although, you need to be prepared to be stereotyped (a large chunk of my biology stream is the enviro science students, so now we're all "tree-hugging greenies" as opposed to "real biology students")
are u a tree hugging hippie tho?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
are u a tree hugging hippie tho?
NO! Soooooooo far from it! Cut the tree down, as far as I'm concerned!! (just leave me an open grassy patch at uni to bum around on)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol that's cool then,
I'll admit i usually stereotype that people doing environmental science are probably hippies..... i'm sure there's heaps of people who are just into it and not tree hugging hippies, but are there a bunch that are? or is this just another one of those myths?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hmm...none of the people I know are really green...actually, I take that back, I know one enviro science chick that is (although, not to the extent she would chain herself to a tree or anything)...the BDevtStud peoples I've met are more of the stereotype than the enviro sci people

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i know heaps of greenies around where we're building our new house.... they climbed the fence and chained themselves to one of our tree's when we went to pull it down :rolleyes:

I'll definately keep an open mind on that tho, maybe not call so many enviro science people greenies lol

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
just don't call all biology students that happen to be doing the environmental stream as opposed to the more biotech stream greenies and it will all be good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)