• Want to take part in the BoS Trials for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Essay help needed! (1 Viewer)

rumour

HSC
I need help writing my AOS essay, my problems:
-I don't know what to put in the intro
-they always seem to be a max of two pages, as I can't think of what else to write.
-I don't know what to write in each paragraph-if it should be on one text only, or do all the texts in one paragraph.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A lot of it probably revolves around the question...2 pages is preety thin...my advice: crack open the nearest person's head and feast on the goo inside.

Gemstone

I was told that you should do one text per paragraph but link them to eachother through out or at least back to the question. I was also told you should do it Prescribed text, stimulus book, extra texts. I the intro you just have to state your argument and mention your texts.

Hope that helps. I've had trouble with this stuff too.

Gemma

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I can't remember the AoS essays too well ... but from what I do recall, a good way for practising AoS essays (any essay, really)

Make an essay plan.
A minimum of five arguments or points you want to make, then peel it back to three or four. In the time frame you have any more than four is asking for trouble because you won't be able to write as much as you want to.

Figure out for each 'point': (a) what it is, in a sentence (this will be your topic sentence AND part of your introduction, so make it clear and concise. If you don't know what to write it's time to go back to your notes and figure out what you are talking about.); (b) Justification - how it relates to your area of study; (c) Example(s).

Write them up in point form, brainstorm form, whatever works for you. Keep referring to your plan as you write your essay to make sure you keep on track and don't go waffling on about something else.

Decide what format is best
As you said, it's hard to decide between putting a text per paragraph or all texts in a paragraph. IMO which is simpler is up to you. It is probably commonly believed that being able to refer to multiple texts in a paragraph is a sign of ability but this is pretty doubtful - if you're going to ramble on about multiple texts you will probably lose sight of your argument.

It is a good idea to use comparative words like 'similarly' and 'however' between sentences or paragraphs.

You want about a paragraph per argument; if your paragraphs tend to be short, make that two paragraphs per argument (that's a minimum of six full sentences).

That should be enough to get you started, I hope. Practise will help you develop skills which allow you to write beyond two pages. A nice average is four to six pages, depending on your handwriting.

Oh, and one last thing: make sure you answer the question.

HTH.

malkin86

HSC
in your first paragraph you should define journey.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Actually let's be more specific.

In your first paragraph you should:

* define your argument (thesis)
* indicate what points you are going to raise, in order, and with some detail but not much
* mention what texts you are referring to (this may be included in the point above), abbreviations (eg. "King Lear (hereafter KL) .."), versions ("the pre-WW2 version of.."), anything like that. It's stuff you don't want to be bothering with in the body of your essay, and you don't have room or time for footnoting..

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Anti has very good ideas.

The key to getting an A is answering the question well of course. They always ask you a "how" question (you should check past papers).
This hints TECHNIQUES- what strategies the composer uses to convey the meaning of the text in relation to journey.

WHAT? the text says in regard to journey!
HOW? the text says this

you dont just write about the techniques. you must first ground in the essay what the text says about journey, and then put a strong emphasis on how (TECHNIQUES) say this.

eg the text titled "whatever" focuses on how the physical journey affects the subject emotionally. The composer through whatever technique show us how journeys can be mentally draining and daunting for the subject. *then YOU MUST USE EXAMPLES from the text which convey this*.

You will find that if you make two points per text on what the text says about journey and how the text says this (using examples of the technique from the text) you will be well on your way to writing close to a page per text (handwritten).

Intro- try to directly answer the question and give a brief satement of what each text has that answers the question. You obviously have to name the texts here and show where your essay is heading. What is your arguement?

Body- go text by text, linking the texts through a similarity a text has with another. this is where you say what the text says about journey and how it says it eg through symbolism or repetition.

Conclusion-Your final comment and reinforcing your point. dont say anything new here. directly answer the question and come to a final opinion.

hope this is some help! good luck

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
just a quick addition to anti's notes on introductions. In the hsc, you are not required to mention the names of your texts in the intro. the composers and the type of text - yes. but you can leave the actual names of texts to when you speak of them in the body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)