• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Exponential and Logarithmic Functions (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
FDownes said:
Another question;

Find ∫x2e3 - 1 dx.

Don't forget the question in my last post though, I still need help with that.

EDIT: ^ I'm really not sure. I don't suppose you could go through it...?
e^2 is a constant. so it's just e^2 . 1/3 . x^3 + C

Last edited:

FDownes

HSC
Sorry, I made a mistake when I first typed out the question, it should be Find ∫x2ex3 - 1 dx. It might mean ∫x2ex3 - 1 dx, I'm not sure.

The textbook answer is 1/3 * ex3 - 1 + C, however it might also mean 1/3 * ex3 - 1...

Last edited:
HSC
FDownes said:
Sorry, I made a mistake when I first typed out the question, it should be Find ∫x2ex3 - 1 dx. It might mean ∫x2ex3 - 1 dx, I'm not sure.

The textbook answer is 1/3 * ex3 - 1 + C, however it might also mean 1/3 * ex3 - 1...
id say let u= x^3 -1

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
id say let u= x^3 -1
See thats what I was thinking, and I just tried it out and it works, but in 3 unit you should never be expected to come up with a substitution, it should always be given. But other than that I cant think of another way to do it

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
FDownes said:
Ah... Right. Silly mistake again. :eek:

EDIT: Hmm... How would I go about integrating (ln y)2? Would it be 1/2(ln y) or am I completely off the track?

EDIT x 2: Oh crap, I'm completely forgetting my log laws again. (ln y)2 = 2ln y, right? So how do I go about integrating that?
(ln y)2 is not equal to 2 ln y....ln y2 = 2 ln y

(ln y)2 is not the same as ln y2

you cannot integrate a log....and the quesiton wants you to use simpsons rule anyway

webby234

HSC
N/A
I assume it's x2ex3-1

Observe that when you differentiate x3 - 1 you get 3x2
So the substitution is u = x3- 1

webby234

HSC
N/A
midifile said:
See thats what I was thinking, and I just tried it out and it works, but in 3 unit you should never be expected to come up with a substitution, it should always be given. But other than that I cant think of another way to do it
True, but you don't explicitly need to use substitution (despite my solution :p). It's like 2u questions that ask you to integrate things like x/(x2 + 1) So just change the original question to 1/3(3x2ex3-1) and then just observe that you have an exponential times the derivative of the power of the exponential.

Last edited:

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
FDownes said:

you do not need to subsitute....i think the question is ∫x2ex3 - 1 dx

in this case...by observation we can see that the x2 is generated from the derivative of ex3 - 1

if we differentiate ex3 - 1 we get.....3x2ex3 - 1

to cancel the 3 we divide..

so the integral becomes. 1/3 ex3 - 1

FDownes

HSC
Thanks guys. Ugh... I don't know how I'm gonna make it though my extension 1 exam without you. ;)

FDownes

HSC
One more time;

Graph y = loge(x - x2).

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to show me a completed diagram of the graph (there's one in the back of my book anyways), but could someone explain how I figure out things like the vertex and asymptotes? I can see that x =/= 0 and x =/= 1, but I'm not sure how to express it mathematically.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
FDownes said:
One more time;

Graph y = loge(x - x2).

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to show me a completed diagram of the graph (there's one in the back of my book anyways), but could someone explain how I figure out things like the vertex and asymptotes? I can see that x =/= 0 and x =/= 1, but I'm not sure how to express it mathematically.
Let x-x^2 = b

For ln b, b can be any number > 0

Thus, x-x^2 > 0
x>x^2

Therefore, the only possible way of doing this is by thinking logically. x =/= 0 is established, but what about the numbers more than 0?

we cannot have b<0 so therefore, any value of x must be greater than x squared.

Squaring a fraction = smaller number, thus the domain for this graph is 0<x<1.
You then think of it logically once again
if b is a really small fraction, then the value of y is infinitely small.

Sub in extremeties, such as x = 0.0000001, .9999999, .5

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
foram said:
i don't think you can intergrate log, unless you use the simpsons rule or somthing like that, but thats not really intergrating.
&int;ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + c

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
FDownes said:
One more time;

Graph y = loge(x - x2).

y=ln(x-x^2)
y=lnx+ln(1-x)

Graph y=lnx and y=ln(1-x)=ln(-(x-1)) so draw ln(x), flip it around the y-axis, then translate it one unit to the right.
Now graph the addition of those two functions by adding the co-ordinates of each one.

It helps to have some reference points first, so find the asymptotes and maxima/minima: y'=1/x-1/(1-x)=0, 1-x=x, x=1/2. Stat point at (1/2, -2ln(2)). Quickly test either side on a calculator to see if it is max, min or inflexion. Since there's only one stat point, and it is a maxima, the rest of the graph is below this point and there is no curvy funny business.

As for asymptotes: now we have the form y=ln(x)+ln(1-x), we can see that the asymptotes are going to be the asymptotes of y=ln(x) and y=ln(1-x). What are they? They are x=0 and x=1 (because x>=1 makes ln(1-x) undefined).

So in summary: one maxima, 2 asymptotes equally spaced either side of the maxima, and a completely negative, continuous (within 0 < x < 1) function (because the y value of the maxima is negative). This should be enough information to tell you that the function basically looks like a parabola (more like y=-(5)*(x-1/2)^2-1.4 actually).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)