• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ext 1 Maths (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I did ext 1 maths last year and i got 83 at macquarie fields HS (half selective half community, and my ranking was 13th/50). this year i moved to Girraween HS, a fully selective school and i'm doing it again. i dont know whether i should keep 83 for ext 1, and concerntrate on my other subjects or whether to do it again. my tutor, Terry Lee says i have potential to get 90 now that i'm at a fully selective school, but being at a full selctive school isnt that easy. In my last test, i got the class average for the 3 u test but keeping in mind, i'm in the better 4 unit maths class. I want to get better, but theres always a chance i could do worse-what got me thinking was that an ex student told me that he was 10th last year at Girra and for his school assesment mark, he got high 80s. should i be worried since at mac fields i got school assesment mark of 80?

Affinity

HSC
I would be worrying if I don't come in top 5 if I repeat a subject :D, especially when the first attempt is quite good

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Kimmeh, if you got 84 last year surely you can do better this year. Its not like you managed to guess your way through the maths ext paper.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
I would be worrying if I don't come in top 5 if I repeat a subject :D, especially when the first attempt is quite good
eep! thats the problem. I mean, we are talking about a fully selective school here. but coming top 5 isnt easy to start off with.
Originally posted by Xayma
Kimmeh, if you got 84 last year surely you can do better this year. Its not like you managed to guess your way through the maths ext paper.
yeah but i'm worried about school assesment mark in terms of ranking
Originally posted by dark_angel
Do u know Hubert Jesuratnum or Himanshu??
:uhhuh: how do you know them ?

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
I did ext 1 maths last year and i got 83 at macquarie fields HS (half selective half community, and my ranking was 13th/50). this year i moved to Girraween HS, a fully selective school and i'm doing it again. i dont know whether i should keep 83 for ext 1, and concerntrate on my other subjects or whether to do it again. my tutor, Terry Lee says i have potential to get 90 now that i'm at a fully selective school, but being at a full selctive school isnt that easy. In my last test, i got the class average for the 3 u test but keeping in mind, i'm in the better 4 unit maths class. I want to get better, but theres always a chance i could do worse-what got me thinking was that an ex student told me that he was 10th last year at Girra and for his school assesment mark, he got high 80s. should i be worried since at mac fields i got school assesment mark of 80?
you shouldnt worry too much. generally when you do a subject again you perform way better. e.g. in year 10 i did 2unit maths and got 74% (shocking, i know) and then i did it again in year 11 and received 94% . i also did ext1 and my rank was even worse then yours! 17/50 (and i go to a comprehensive school) ended up with 45/50 though... doing it again this year. Since you're already good at ext 2, then ext 1 should be a breeze second time around. besides most of the work is just revision, you dont have to study your ass off just one past paper a week to make sure you dont get too rusty and you should be looking at a mark of 90% and above.

you used to go to mac fields? i guess you know Jamie Su & Mohammed (they told me they topped 4u at mac fields, freaks)LOL!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
yeah well i havent been getting 90% and above. i miss out by like 5% - yes i'm getting 86% average. with your rank as 17 thats really good to end up having a mark of 45/50! esp if it was at a comprehensive school as well. i mean, we have people getting 100% in these test, which is rather demoralising but oh well.

ahaha yeah i do know them. i was in their class-even more demoralising. :cold:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i would agree for any other subject
but maths is........different :/

Affinity

HSC
Well girraween is not like ruse and associates, I would say you can get top 5 with some effort

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC

lolz....dont worry! ive heard to get a 40/50 in 3u maths, u need a 40/84 in the exam...and this info is from a reliable source....but it cud well be different this year! work hard...and dont worry:)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Well girraween is not like ruse and associates, I would say you can get top 5 with some effort
whats that supposed to mean? we got 60th, and 2 years ago we go 30th. i dunnoe what happened there. did you go to a selective school affinity?
Originally posted by lil_star
lolz....dont worry! ive heard to get a 40/50 in 3u maths, u need a 40/84 in the exam...and this info is from a reliable source....but it cud well be different this year! work hard...and dont worry:)
it also depends on your school assesment mark too

why cant they reproduce documents on ther amount of band 6's in each subject fro each school?

cko

HSC
kim i think u should do it again. there's no problem with trying to imporove u got n with tha experience of doing it last year u could do it really well this year

paper

if you can handle 4unit quite well (since u r in the better 4U class) then im sure you can improve on 3U if you try

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by cko
kim i think u should do it again. there's no problem with trying to imporove u got n with tha experience of doing it last year u could do it really well this year
yeah well symmons was like i have up until the last minute to drop. he says he will discuss it with me towards the end of the year if my marks lead towards a dangerous mark that is lower, then i will keep my old mark

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
yeah well symmons was like i have up until the last minute to drop. he says he will discuss it with me towards the end of the year if my marks lead towards a dangerous mark that is lower, then i will keep my old mark

That sounds better. The school should be able to give you some indication of what mark you'll get from your assessment.

If you got 86% raw in the HSC exam, I think you'd definately be looking at 90+ for sure so keep it up. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)