• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Few questions from a yr 11 going yr 12 about ESL. (1 Viewer)

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Firstly I must state that I am an advance student, and that I am faced with subject selections for the HSC course. I believe that I am eligible for ESL (I have been in Australia for less than 5 years now.). Correct me if I'm wrong here, but to be eligible you need to have been living in Australia for less than 5 years at the beginning of year 12 and come from a non-english speaking country correct?

Anyway, the way I see it ESL would definitly give me a higher UAI, and this is the most important thing. Even though I'd probably find myself quite bored and not challenged in the subject.

So I was wondering if anyone was in my current position. Whether anyone droped English Advance or Standard for ESL, and if they could tell me a bit about their experiences / if they think they made the right choice.

I also want to know if anyone doing the HSC next year is in my current situation.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
well the decision is yours. It doesn't really matter what you choose between advanced or ESL, you will end up with a similar UAI. It is the SCALED mark that matter, not the aligned HSC marks you get in your hsc portfolio. And frankly whether you choose to do ESL or advanced, you'll pretty much end up with similar scaled marks, regardless of what the aligned marks indicate.....

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
coroneos said:
ESL is the worst scaled of all the english ones. I recommend advanced.
Where do you base this from? I actually heard from quite a number of sources that it was very well scaled.

ae

HSC
Well, if you can get Band 6, it pretty similar scaling with Advanced.
But more people get Band 6 in Adv, only a few in ESL, 1 in Std :uhhuh:

I would do ESL, cause it has less workload, but there is lack of resources compared to Adv, which is annoying in a way.

Are you sure you can just transfer to HSC ESL without doing Prelim ESL?
it seem weird.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
ESL is not easy at all. The test on the listening skills and other things is absolutely critical. ;)
btw, i think ESL is not scaled worst coz in 2003 two girls who were doing esl eventually got 100 for their UAI :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yeah, partly because the highest aligned mark (96) was scaled to 100 scaled mark. :p
Unlike Bio, chem physics, the highest marks (98, 99, 97) were scaled to around 99.2~99.3

oheaveno

HSC
i'm in the same situation as you..i did alright in advance but not good enough ( 39/115) i thought about it for a week and seeked for many different advices, finally i decided to droped advanced and changed to ESL for the following reasons:
(1) definitely less work than advanced! (but still gotta work hard)
(2) you can concentrate more on the other subjects
(3) The rank is also important. and you are competing with other Extension 2 students
the scaling is not the same in advanced..like if you have the confident to do well in advanced, say above 80% then i really think you should stay.
i just made it to 80% so i think its a bit risky for me..!
just get a band 6 and everything will be fine!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Don't you think Advanced is more interesting than ESL? If you're going to be sitting in ESL and yawning all day, why do it? (btw i thought you can't drop down from adv to esl in yr 12 anymore?)

I chose ESL at the beginning of Yr 11, because i've only been here for...about 3 years? but after 2 lessons, the teacher suggested I transfer to Advanced.

mm87511

HSC
dont choose advance unless u want to spend lots of time on studying english,which means u will hv less time for other subjects..
Esl lets u get a band 6 as well, with less workload but not meaning easier work. Advance and ESL each looks at different areas of English.With ESL, it means u may hv more time for other important subjects,like 4u maths,and will definitely be scaled well if u r in band 6or5

huhq1

huhq1
HSC
probably u drop down to esl is a very gd choice........
english is the composulry sujects doesn't have much differences in scaling , exclude those extension courses.
once u drop down, u will have the most advantages than others . Less work will let u have more time spend on the other subjets!

Last edited:

kt8

HSC
same situation.. been in aus for almost 3 years, doing okay in adv eng. lalala guess its too late to drop down to esl now. my sch doesn't offer it anyway.

let me know what decision you made in the end, so you're still doing adv now?

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
I chose ESL at the beginning of Yr 11, because i've only been here for...about 3 years? but after 2 lessons, the teacher suggested I transfer to Advanced.
That's because you're too stupid to do ESL.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
Don't you think Advanced is more interesting than ESL? If you're going to be sitting in ESL and yawning all day, why do it? (btw i thought you can't drop down from adv to esl in yr 12 anymore?)

you don't post like a fob ?

Mm_cookies

Banned
HSC
is this rudeness necessary??

i think you should decide by yourself! esl will be considerably easier wit less workload however there have been instances of people thinking this is to easy!!!! yawning through class and then failing! if you do decide to do it, then dont loose your concentration! also it is the same hardness just less homework! which does leave time for other subjects! but your not in senior school to pass the time! your there to work your butt of and get into a good university! when u apply to a university and its between you and someone doing adavanced! advanced will win hands down!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)