• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Find a Source for analysis help (1 Viewer)

BluePink

HSC
Ive been given an assignment and choose the following issue:

The Land Rights Movement including Wike, Mabo, Native Title.

The problem is I need to find one source about the issue (document, literature, artworkt etc).
In the Assignment have to evaluate usefulness, validity or bias of the source, in creating an understanding of contemporary Aboriginal Spirituality and its impact on non-indigenous Australian Society.

Im lost on findng an adequate source with which has enough additional information to evaluate.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Dark Phoenix

HSC
thats a pretty stupid assignment i reckon. so r u only restricted to only one source or can u get things from more than one source?

here is some info

RECOGNITION OF CUSTOMARY LAW ON THE BASIS OF MABO

3.60 Since the ALRC’s Report, the High Court handed down its decision of Mabo v Queensland (No 2)79 (“Mabo (No 2)”), a turning point in the recognition of Aboriginal law. This case has subsequently been examined for the possibility of extending its application beyond native title to criminal law. Mabo (No 2) held that the notion of Australia being terra nullius at the time of British settlement was a legal nonsense; that while English common law was introduced with settlement, it was possible that certain prior existing native laws survived; and that native land title continued after settlement. It was then argued that two features of Mabo (No 2) paved the way for recognition of native criminal jurisdiction:

The first is the High Court’s acknowledgment that the Aboriginal communities had and continue to possess sophisticated native laws ... Secondly, the High Court was prepared to recognise the co-existence of native laws with the general laws of the nation ... Accordingly, legislation which recognises a form of native criminal jurisdiction co-existing with the general criminal jurisdiction would be in step with this Mabo ruling.

i got this information from here:
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/__4a2...01?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,Wik,Level2,Level3

now the question u should ask urself is did the courts take into account aboriginal spirituality in making their decision?

hope that helps a bit

Last edited:

BluePink

HSC
I know, silly assignment.

Yes I am restricted to one source, in which i will base my whole assignment around, so silly.

The information you gave me is useful tho. Thank you :) I'll just have to check if i can use it as a source as a document. So the search is still on untill the o.k.

:)

Dark Phoenix

HSC
honestly u cant just base ur whole assignment on one source. u need more than one if u r gonna talk bout wik, mabo, native title and the land rights movement. ask the teacher if he/she can change it to more than one source. what have other students done then in ur grade?

BluePink

HSC
I know, silly.
Majority have done the Stolen generation. I got help from another student. And im half way through the assignment now....
My source is a poem.

thank you for your help :)
At least im not the only one who thinks its a stupid assignment.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
no problem BLUEPINK. can i see the poem pls? just curious on what the poem is about

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
One of the major libraries (the nla??) has the entire set of papers of Eddie mabo which you can find if you google it.

Stolen Gen has nothing to do with the areas you have listed so those doing it are very wrong (or your teacher is wrong for letting students do it/them)

Native Title Act is easy as you can find articles from the time or the actual act...same goes for mabo and Wik for that matter.

Try the atsic site (it has been shut down but the site is archived by the nla) or the hrec site for good sources.....

Try searching through the legal studies forum as this is a part of the Yr 11 prelim course and you may find links to the papers and or sources.

POST YOUR FINDINGS ETC UP HERE TO HELP OUT OTHER STUDENTS!!! as this is for the new course!!!

BTW...I dont find the assignment stupid as its all about the Land Rights Movement and Abor. Spirituality. (not about Mabo, Wik etc...they are just listed as eg's you can use...re-read the new syllabus!).
One Primary/secondary source is more than enough to answer this given that it wont be more than a 5 marker in the HSC (ie approx. 1/3 page/10 lines of writing) + what is required in the syllabus ie the focus isnt on Mabo and Wik but the LR M/Ment in creating an understanding of Abor. Spirituality in Australia post 1945.

Its actually a very clever task. Hopefully it isnt weighted much though...

Last edited:

BluePink

HSC
It didnt have to be on the Nativ Title act, there is a list of subjects to choose from.
I'll post up the whole assginment after it is marked (so i know if its correct of not)

I choose this poem for Stolen Generation.

Koori Come
In ALL colours​
Poem by Carol Kindall, 1980s
I know I'm a koori I've learned from my kin.
But sometimes I'm questioned on the colour of my skin
I'm questioned on this by both; Black and White.
My culture and my identity are my legal right.
My Aboriginality I've searched for so long.
But the doubt of others; make it hard to belong.​
If you wouldn't make judgements on just what you see
Then maybe by chance; you'll see the real me.

Had a information to answer last qn about contemporay Aboriginals.
The Textbook I was given had a lot of background info which i found useful.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
still dont think you can do Stolen Generation for this as its in a different syllabus area ie has nothing to do with the LR M/Ment

I would be double checking this one if I were you....

BluePink

HSC
It doesnt have anything 2 do with Land rights movement. I could only pick ONE topic out of four.
-Land Rights
-Stolen generation
- Seperation from land
- Seperation of kinship groups

I picked stolen generation.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
BluePink said:
It doesnt have anything 2 do with Land rights movement. I could only pick ONE topic out of four.
-Land Rights
-Stolen generation
- Seperation from land
- Seperation of kinship groups

I picked stolen generation.
thats slightly different to the question you stated in the first post!
BluePink said:
Ive been given an assignment and choose the following issue:

The Land Rights Movement including Wike, Mabo, Native Title.

The problem is I need to find one source about the issue (document, literature, artworkt etc).
In the Assignment have to evaluate usefulness, validity or bias of the source, in creating an understanding of contemporary Aboriginal Spirituality and its impact on non-indigenous Australian Society.

Im lost on findng an adequate source with which has enough additional information to evaluate.

Any help would be appreciated :)
ie
BOS SOR Syllabus 2005 variation said:
• discuss the continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities in relation to:

– separation from the land

– separation from kinship groups

– the Stolen Generations

• outline the importance of the following for the Land Rights movement:

– Native Title

– Mabo

– Wik
Your task/what you have stated here in this thread seems to be crossing syllabus points hence the questions on my behalf.

Maybe you can post up the exact task question so I can clarify this in my head
(sorry to harp on but teachers need to get it right when there are syllabus changes and what you are saying doesnt sound right)

fashionfreak101

HSC
help

the question im trying to answer is:

during the nineteenth centruy in australia there was a clear link between relgion and social class. using the movie the hangning gale show how this link between religion and socail class operated. my exam is on monday so help is greatly appreciated :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Re: help

fashionfreak101 said:
the question im trying to answer is:

during the nineteenth centruy in australia there was a clear link between relgion and social class. using the movie the hangning gale show how this link between religion and socail class operated. my exam is on monday so help is greatly appreciated :)
umm...wrong syllabus area? (pre 1945 by the sound of it!)

Not familiar with the movie either so cant help there but am guessing its got to do withthe perceived social classess present in Australia and the sterotype of what denomination they were
ie catholic=Irish=convict=poor
CoE=English=free settler= not so poor!

Bah...these stereotypes werent correcr anyway, esp with the free settlers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)