• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

First week (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
What did we all think of the first week of uni? What do you think of your subjects? Assessments? etc...

Bloody hell i'm tired ... three campuses in 5 days by public transport is very very hard. But hopefully it will get easier as the semester continues.

As for subjects - they are all really good, they seem very interesting - even though earth sciences has a lot of work. Our urban geography lecturer today basically said that we don't have to go to the lecture cause we all travel so far :eek:

As for assessments - I have noticed that theres heaps of group work. Environment and tourism management is full of group work. I hate group work, but oh well.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
i only went up till wednesday coz i had nothink for this week on thurs and today. it was pretty ok i rkn, tiring, very tiring, but still not as bad as i thought it would be...assignemnts starts week 3!!!! dead.......but i hope they wont be too hard!

debugz

HSC
welcome to workforce preperation - teamwork :D

ive actually only got 2 small assignments in 4 subjects that involve teamwork.. and even then it was a "turn around and say 'group?' 'k'" kinda thing

:D

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
yeh me too, what campus u at debugz?? but its gay.....it's scarring me actually coz aparently the teacher (havent gotten used to calling them tutors yet lolz) sets the groups, and i need D or HD, and if the person in my group fcks up....there goes my 25%....so i hope there isnt any idiots who are gonna be posh/lazy/tightarse and not do nothink....lolz or else im dead.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Group work is so gay ... theres always atleast one person who will try and freeload. I'd prefer to do the whole assignment myself, then I can blame myself for crappy marks but if group work gives me really good marks - I ain't complaining :p

debugz

HSC
im at parra

with regards to group assignments.. you will find that (my tutor pointed this out to us) that the group members evealuate the others contribution to the assignmnet, and this is actually put towards their mark :) so cheer up bubblegums... give them 0.. roar...

debugz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea, if u get given say... a 2 person assignment, but decide to do it on ur own..... will u probably get less marks ?
you wont be completing the objectives of the assignmnet if u do it by yourself... thats the reason they make sure one of your assignmnets is group work... if the other person isnt pulling their wegith.. your in uni now, you have the ability to tell them flat out, start getting your act together, or ill inform our tutor of our situation and get myself reloacted or consideration... tell them this.. they will get their ass into gear... if not... tutors understand there are people like this... dont get dragged down by not saying anything to anyone..

Edit* i rambeled.. basically.. if u do do it by yourself when the assigmnet says group.. yes. u will get marked down (unless u told ur tutor about earlier problems and he let u do it by yourself).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yeah ... thats called peer assessment. But sometimes it can really backfire. Cause if its group work, they will find an average of how the group rates a certain person, so a person can either get more marks than they deserve or less marks that they deserve.

HSC
LONG! Every day seemed like a lifetime compared to the holidays - I would wake p, take a shower and then check the clock and 10 hours had just flown by! :rolleyes:

I'm slowly getting used to it, I just hate the early starts. So in all not a bad week.

kitty28

My first week was good. I went Mon-Fri, so I’m exhausted.
I like the atmosphere at Hawkesbury – it’s so peaceful and quiet (and the sheep and deer are so cute awww!).

My subjects seem interesting, especially Biology 1, Intro to Anatomy & Histology and Fund. of Mathematics. The assessments I have are mostly practicals, quizzes, mid-semester tests and of course the final exam. I’m pretty happy about this – I prefer tests and exams over essay writing and reports.
It seems that most of you don’t like group work… I don’t really like group work either but as I am doing mostly science units, it’s essential if I want to understand the practical component of the course properly.

Overall I liked my first week.
Btw, one funny thing happened to me this week. On Thursday I was trying to find R5 (Musson Theatre) for my Intro. to Anat. & Hist. lecture. I found the R5 building but couldn’t find where the lecture theatre was… so I asked this guy where R5 was and he said that he was going to the same place. Then we looked for the class together and ended up going into the student residences! (which was right next to the lecture theatre) Other people were looking for the class too so we all followed each other and went in circles! Anyway, we finally found the class (which was just around the corner lol).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Theres deer at Hawkesbury??? I agree with the sheep ... they are cute, especially the baby lambs.

debugz

HSC
"baby lambs" is bad engrash :)

tis like saying... sunny sun.

hheh im bored :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
debugz said:
"baby lambs" is bad engrash :)

tis like saying... sunny sun.

hheh im bored :p
wtf??? That was confusing :p well not the bored bit :p

Angel45

HSC
I am doing LLB/Communication Studies and my first week was so much betta than I thought. My lecturers and tutors r really cool and everything so far has gone really smoothy. I am impressed with parra and penrith campus too..they're nice.

Lots of reading though - oh my goodness.

But the ppl. are gr8 and I'm so excited to be at UWS!

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
so am i! but i hate the reading textbooks part.....im reading my chemistry text now (well WAS reading it) and im having trouble concentrating on it for one hour, i dunoo how im gonna read all this and all the other texts lolz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)