• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Free options vs. Gen ed courses (1 Viewer)

oct25

HSC
I'm starting a B. Economics planning on majoring in Economics and Accounting.

I've enrolled in:
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)

which are all core subjects.

However, I've been told that its not a good idea to do QMA (1202) and QMB (1203) at the same time. (very difficult)

However, I don't think I have any other options because I'm already enrolled in the only economics and accounting subjects available to me at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I don't really want to do free options because I don't want my degree to stretch out any more than it needs to (I want to finish in 3 years).

Can I do general education courses? If so, which ones? (I think they are worth 3 units each so I'll have to do 2)

Finally, I'm also told that I CANNOT do gen ed courses related to business. Why's this?

Thanks!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
regarding gen eds, UNSW Handbook General Education

you cant do gen eds from your own faculty, i guess so you can diversify your knowledge and stuff.

if you're doing economics (UNSW Handbook Program - Economics - 3543) then it says in that link:

General Education Requirements
Students in this program must complete 12 units of credit in General Education courses or their equivalent (unless otherwise entitled to exemption). For further information about General Education Requirements please refer to the Online Handbook.

Please note that students enrolled in programs within the Australian School of Business cannot take General Education courses offered by the Business School. These restrictions also apply to the following courses:
GENL2015 The World of Work
GENL2020 An Introduction to the Australian Legal System
GENL2021 An Introduction to the Australian Legal System
GENL2031 Cyberspace Law
GENL5020 Business Fundamentals
GENL5021 Business Law Basics
GENL5030 Understanding Tax
GENL5031 Tax for Professionals
If students are unsure of their General Education Requirements they should contact the Business Student Centre (Ground floor, West entrance, Australian School of Business building)
as for qma/qmb, i dont do economics, so someone else can answer that :)

LordPc

HSC
i think the fail rate for QMA and QMB is high which is why you might think hear that taking them concurrently is difficult

the point of ged eds it to give you a rounded education so you cant pick a gen ed from your own faculty cause if a business student takes a business gen ed then how exactly does that make the students knowledge more well rounded and diverse? it doesnt.

(although you can also ask how 4 very short and easy courses is able to diversify any students education, but thats a discussion for another time)

dawdlex3

HSC
Gen eds are supposed to be much much easier than other regular courses so you're guaranteed a pass as long as you complete all assessments. I wouldn't advise taking all first year core subjects within one semester, as you'll be burdened with the workload of studying for each subject at the same time, no matter how smart you are. It takes a few weeks at least to adapt to uni life, so take it easier if possible.

runnable

HSC
I don't think non-core courses are any easier than core ones. Unless you mean "if you fail, it's not lethal" kinda way.

dawdlex3

HSC
Can anyone be failing a Gen Ed? o.o
Sure, some elective courses can be pretty difficult but I don't think that's the case for the GENxyyyy ones?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Gen Eds are specifically designed so that you can't fail. I did a Gen Ed my first semester last year and I wrote some complete and utter garbage, bullshit major essay that didn't even have a coherent, linear argument to it. I still got a distinction.

LordPc

HSC
Wait a second. What are the differences between free options and gen eds?
free options (i think they are usually called electives) are gaps in your program where you can take any course you want. you can choose a course related to your degree or you can choose something you are interested in like a language or an arts course or something

ged eds are these short courses. if you arent doing a double degree you have to complete 4 ged ed courses anytime before you graduate. so instead of doing an elective in one semester, you can take two gen eds or you can take a ged ed over the summer.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Anyone got a lsit of the general ed courses (and in particular which shows which ones cna be completed by distance over te Summer break)?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
free options (i think they are usually called electives) are gaps in your program where you can take any course you want. you can choose a course related to your degree or you can choose something you are interested in like a language or an arts course or something
But they have to be courses still within your degree parameters. You can't just randomly do a philosophy course if you're doing engineering.
Most people use their electives for either doing the basic courses of a major they didn't get to choose, but still wanted to do, or they use them for extra courses in a major you did do, but couldn't do all the courses you wanted.

ged eds are these short courses. if you arent doing a double degree you have to complete 4 ged ed courses anytime before you graduate. so instead of doing an elective in one semester, you can take two gen eds or you can take a ged ed over the summer.
Well you have to complete 12 units of Gen Ed courses on top of any electives or such. Most of them are 3 units each, but some are 6. And if you do a double degree from the one faculty (such as myself, doing Commerce and Economics) then you have to do them. And, in order to get a "well-balanced and full" education, you can't choose a Gen Ed course from your own faculty off the list. For example, I can't do any Australian School of Business Gen Ed courses.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Anyone got a lsit of the general ed courses (and in particular which shows which ones cna be completed by distance over te Summer break)?
If you go here Class Search by Session you can click on the teaching period you want to enquire about.

For example, I clicked "Summer Teaching Period", and GENX classes came up for Business, Engineering, Medicine and Science.

I hope that helps!

LordPc

HSC
But they have to be courses still within your degree parameters. You can't just randomly do a philosophy course if you're doing engineering.
i dont know about that. i agree that they should be related to your degree cause logic would imply that you would want to graduate knowing as much about your degree as you can. however i took philosphy last semester and i met a couple of people in 2nd/3rd year engineering who were also taking the course.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Doesn't that defeat the point of gen eds though?

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Most people use their electives for either doing the basic courses of a major they didn't get to choose, but still wanted to do, or they use them for extra courses in a major you did do, but couldn't do all the courses you wanted.

Well you have to complete 12 units of Gen Ed courses on top of any electives or such. Most of them are 3 units each, but some are 6. And if you do a double degree from the one faculty (such as myself, doing Commerce and Economics) then you have to do them. And, in order to get a "well-balanced and full" education, you can't choose a Gen Ed course from your own faculty off the list. For example, I can't do any Australian School of Business Gen Ed courses.
Im doing the same degree as you moll (B Comm/Eco) and I'm aware that I have 2 free options. Does this mean I can pick any 12 credit units within my faculty? Even business gen eds? Or I can pick anything from any faculty?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Im doing the same degree as you moll (B Comm/Eco) and I'm aware that I have 2 free options. Does this mean I can pick any 12 credit units within my faculty? Even business gen eds? Or I can pick anything from any faculty?
Yeah, you can do 12 units of any courses in the degree. Gen Eds do not count, as they're on a seperate list and are marked differently.
I'm just having a debate with LordPC though about whether you can do courses outside your faculty for an elective. So I can't say whether you can.
But honestly, why bother? Just do some extra courses at the ASB. Stuff you're interested in but which doesn't count towards your majors.

LordPc

HSC
Doesn't that defeat the point of gen eds though?
my impression is that gen eds are a way to ensure that every student studies a few topics unrelated to their degree by force.

its all in the handbook though. for example. in my final year i will be doing 1 core course, 4 computing electives, 2 gen eds and 2 electives.

Lydia_88

HSC
may i add that they are phasing out 3uoc gen eds at the end of 2011. From that point on, you can only do courses that are worth 6uoc.

Meaning its best to do some 3uoc this year and the first half of next year, while its still around....:read:

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
may i add that they are phasing out 3uoc gen eds at the end of 2011. From that point on, you can only do courses that are worth 6uoc.

Meaning its best to do some 3uoc this year and the first half of next year, while its still around....:read:
Really!?
Damn. Some of the gen-eds that I wanted to do are only worth 3UOC. Some less... And as a part of my course, I don't get a gen-ed elective until 2nd semester next year :(

I hope they make some of the 3UOC courses 6UOC courses by making it a more substantial course :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)