• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

g0t Telstra questions? (1 Viewer)

HSC
if you have any questions regarding products Telstra offer, post them and I will answer. I work for the company.

rawk.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
MasterSpinnaker said:
if you have any questions regarding products Telstra offer, post them and I will answer. I work for the company.

rawk.
Why does a corporation have a monopoly on our telecommunication lines when these copper highways were supposed to be considered national property?

Is this fair to other companies?

why are you crippling our broadband industry?

would you support legislation that seeks to nationalise telstra again?[of course shareholders would be paid nothing, just like they deserve]

Do you beleive your corporation would be willing to sell the last section of copper wire to the government in exchange for our 17% holding in telstra? why/why not?

HSC
Serius said:
Why does a corporation have a monopoly on our telecommunication lines when these copper highways were supposed to be considered national property?

Is this fair to other companies?

why are you crippling our broadband industry?

would you support legislation that seeks to nationalise telstra again?[of course shareholders would be paid nothing, just like they deserve]

Do you beleive your corporation would be willing to sell the last section of copper wire to the government in exchange for our 17% holding in telstra? why/why not?
1. the reason telstra holds the monopoly is that it was the first company to have them: telstra used to be the Post Master General's office, but come the turn of the 20th century, they split and Telecom (now known as Telstra) and Australia Post. Telecom then went about setting up the copper wiring system for telephones and have done slow gradual upgrades since then. And then around the 80's (i think) a young upstart company called Optus came along to challenge Telecom, which was still at that time, government owned. Optus didnt think it financially viable to spend billions investing in their own infrastructure, so they rented the lines from Telecom (soon to be Telstra). Other companies then came out of the works and saw this as viable. Telstra doesnt have a monopoly on PURPOSE, thats just the way it happened.

2. no, i dont think this is fair. because now that telstra is privatised, this means that the wires belong to shareholders, and not the country who use them. personally, i think its stupid letting certain people (ie shareholders) control the way a national telco is run and because of this issue of ownership, every upgrade that needs doing has to be run by shareholders. this is usually done by telstra's CEO (Sol Trujillo @ time of writing) at shareholders meetings, mostly held annually. which leads me to my next point

3. we arent crippling our broadband industry. like i said: ownership issues. shareholders dont see it as a viable investment to upgrade the copper wiring system. so instead, telstra went about it another way. we created NEXTG. what NEXTG does is provide speeds of up to 7.2mbps wirelessly. Whether it be on your mobile or on a data card. Upgrades are planned for late to early next year to upgrade that to 14.4mbps....data cards will evolve and plans will get cheaper, people just dont know it yet. now who said we're holding broadband back? think outside the copper wire....

4. to be honest, i dont think so. its something that's in the too hard basket right now. telstra seems to be kicking along well and if it aint broke, dont fix it.

anything else?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MasterSpinnaker said:
3. we arent crippling our broadband industry. like i said: ownership issues. shareholders dont see it as a viable investment to upgrade the copper wiring system. so instead, telstra went about it another way. we created NEXTG. what NEXTG does is provide speeds of up to 7.2mbps wirelessly. Whether it be on your mobile or on a data card. Upgrades are planned for late to early next year to upgrade that to 14.4mbps....data cards will evolve and plans will get cheaper, people just dont know it yet. now who said we're holding broadband back? think outside the copper wire....
Yes... you are. Your plans are horrible so in a pathetic attempt to stop competitors giving better deals you try and stop them using your network, or charge them ridiculous amounts to use it. Then you refuse to invest in improving the infrastructure because the ACCC will make you give your competitors access. If you weren't so interested in ripping people off you could build some kind of fibre network, lease it to competitors and still have better prices than them.

NextG is a fucking joke. The biggest quota you can get is something like 3GB and that's going to cost $150. I use that much in 1 day. It is only useful for people who need to access the internet while on the move. It is not a reasonable solution for home use. It's not a realistic alternative to physical cables.

All you do is take advantage of people who don't know any better, tricking them with seemingly good deals and locking them into 24 month contracts that cost them more in the long term.

Thank god for the G9 and the ACCC. You guys are a fucking disgrace.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yes... you are. Your plans are horrible so in a pathetic attempt to stop competitors giving better deals you try and stop them using your network, or charge them ridiculous amounts to use it. Then you refuse to invest in improving the infrastructure because the ACCC will make you give your competitors access. If you weren't so interested in ripping people off you could build some kind of fibre network, lease it to competitors and still have better prices than them.

NextG is a fucking joke. The biggest quota you can get is something like 3GB and that's going to cost $150. I use that much in 1 day. It is only useful for people who need to access the internet while on the move. It is not a reasonable solution for home use. It's not a realistic alternative to physical cables.

All you do is take advantage of people who don't know any better, tricking them with seemingly good deals and locking them into 24 month contracts that cost them more in the long term.

Thank god for the G9 and the ACCC. You guys are a fucking disgrace.
lol, its like your blaming me for the "evils" of Telstra. anyway, that's is your opinion and i respect that, but let me say this:

NextG is an unfinished product. a network less than 6 months old that is still being expanded and worked on as we speak. it's the fastest network rollout in the world and it is set to be the fastest data network in the world when its finished in mid to late 08. dont judge an unfinished book by its unfinished cover is all i say to you.

1 more thing, if we drop prices to be more competitive, the ACCC has a field day saying that we're undermining competitors who can never match it. its a balance; we have high wireless broadband prices because we have the largest network. if we were to lower our prices (which every single telstra employee would LOVE to see happen, i shit you not) we would be slapped with a regulation warning/fine for undercutting the competitors. dont blame telstra, blame the whiny competitors who cant keep up. how about the competitors all kick in for the fibre network upgrades instead of telstra paying for all of it and then being undercut by its competitors?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MasterSpinnaker said:
lol, its like your blaming me for the "evils" of Telstra. anyway, that's is your opinion and i respect that, but let me say this:

NextG is an unfinished product. a network less than 6 months old that is still being expanded and worked on as we speak. it's the fastest network rollout in the world and it is set to be the fastest data network in the world when its finished in mid to late 08. dont judge an unfinished book by its unfinished cover is all i say to you.

1 more thing, if we drop prices to be more competitive, the ACCC has a field day saying that we're undermining competitors who can never match it. its a balance; we have high wireless broadband prices because we have the largest network. if we were to lower our prices (which every single telstra employee would LOVE to see happen, i shit you not) we would be slapped with a regulation warning/fine for undercutting the competitors. dont blame telstra, blame the whiny competitors who cant keep up. how about the competitors all kick in for the fibre network upgrades instead of telstra paying for all of it and then being undercut by its competitors?
You work for and support them so you are also to blame.

Will it be reasonable and affordable when it is finished... NO. It will still be expensive and provide insufficient downloads... in fitting with Telstra's target market (see last paragraph).

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You could lower your prices and increase your quotas significantly before you are anywhere near undercutting competitors. The regulations are there to stop someone ridiculously undercutting and driving competitors out of the market, not to stop ISP's being competitive. There are plenty of ISP's providing very affordable plans and not being fined for it.

The competitors would be kicking in by paying you to re-sell the network after it is completed. You just said that there are regulations to stop undercutting? Make up your mind.

Don't bother with the excuses. Telstra has chosen to target a particular market... that is, the people who respond to being bombarded with advertising and have no idea how much they are being ripped off. You trick them with what look like good deals and they fall for it because they have never heard of http://www.whirlpool.net.au/. It is an effective marketing strategy but I consider it very unethical.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
to be honest, i dont think so. its something that's in the too hard basket right now. telstra seems to be kicking along well and if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Well every profesional in the field beleives it is broke, our internet speeds are starting to make us look like a third world country. Our telecommunications are unreliable[although i must admit have gotten lots better recently] and there is nowhere near enough competition.

I thought that telstra selling the last of the copper lines to australia would be a decent solution. It means you no longer have a monopoly on what should be a national service, and you get reinbursed with our 17% share hold. It opens up the floodgates for decent competition [meaning you can lower your prices like you want and start geting business off the more popular providers like iinet and internode] which means you win because you can now compete, the other competitors win because they arent restricted by underhand tactics, the industry wins because we can now move forward in providing decent speeds, and australia wins by getting faster speeds for cheaper with even more competitive providers to choose from.

We are in a shitty situation and everyone realises it, but no one wants to compromise to find a solution [least of all the telstra share holders]

HSC
you know what mate? plenty of things you've said are blindingly accurate to many peoples opinions - both telstra employees and consumers alike. other things youve said i dont agree with but thats cool too. we should just agree to disagree because im not into the onslaught of back and forth. call me a copout or whatever, i dont care, but my main offer of advice was to give information on plans and products et cetera.

HSC
may i ask, when you're travelling overseas, and you've got a laptop with telstra as its provider, how can you use telstra overseas, seeing that it would connect to a different server wouldn't they? or do you need wireless?:)

gottalovegatti

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
may i ask, when you're travelling overseas, and you've got a laptop with telstra as its provider, how can you use telstra overseas, seeing that it would connect to a different server wouldn't they? or do you need wireless?:)
The wireless telstra uses (and any other company) is supplied to your laptop by microwave towers if im not mistaken. As a result, no australian ISP will be able to offer you internet overseas. Im pretty sure the only way you could achieve internet anywhere would be by utilising a satellite connection, and this is in no way cheap nor very mobile.

This is the whole reason large hotels offer internet access to their customers. Or you could just goto an internet cafe or a wifi hotspot.

But the wireless telstra (or any other company) will do you no good. So you will most likely be utilising another ISP overseas managed by a subsidiary company giving you temporary internet access.

Raginsheep

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
Most likely Telstra has set up a agreement with the telecommunications provider in the other country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)