• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

good university guide? (1 Viewer)

shady145

Banned
HSC
hey i found this sheet of paper that ranks 19 universities over NSW and QLD (ranking them on 'starting graduaute salary', 'getting a job', 'positive graduate outcomes', 'staff qualifications', 'teaching quality', 'generic skills', 'overall satisfaction', 'student-staff ratio', 'cultural diversity', 'non government earnings', 'gender balance', 'entry flexibility'... it gives a ranking of each of these areas out of 5 stars) its out of '2009 good university guide' and was jusst wondering if this was a good magazine/guide and is the information reliable? thanks

Sarebs

HSC
Yeah I have that book.

The "student demand" ratings seem pretty spot on, don't know anything about the reliability of the other ratings.

shady145

Banned
HSC
anyone else tell how they get thrit info/or if you think its reliable

Andi0390

HSC
I like how the Good Universities Guide has all the different sections. It has the graduate satisfaction and graduate employment ratings which are probably pretty reliable, as they would be more objective surveyed figures.

The Guide is different to other rankings as, to me, it shows the more practical aspects of the universities, like library size, graduate view of teaching etc, age of students. No ranking is going to be perfect but try and use what information you have at hand to make the best decision.

The best universities for reputation aren't going to be the best for other things. Just because a lecturer is one of the best in their field doesn't mean they have any aptitude for teaching. Bigger universities seem to rank well, but the class sizes are often larger which means less personalised teaching.

Read it, but there is a lot more to choosing the best university for you than rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)